budget speakers? help much appreciated! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : budget speakers? help much appreciated!

Griffon42
06-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Hello all -
I'm currently in the market for my first home theater setup. I'm on a pretty tight budget (maybe not too much of a problem - it's a small room) and I could use some help. Originally, I thought a decent HTiB speaker set would be appropriate - however, with research and some listening, i'm realizing that doesn't suit my needs. For me, the HEAVY priority is on MUSIC - I want speakers that sound great for music and ALSO work as surrounds for DVD movies, etc, but music is priority #1. The HTiB speakers have been pretty weak in this department, as if they're good at anything (questionable), it's movies.

I've already got a receiver picked out - I like the Denon AVR-1804. I'm at a total loss for picking out speakers. My speaker budget is limited to $600 MAX. I know it's not much to work with, but any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated. Here are my specs:
-Room: 16' x 11'
-Looking to set up a 5.1 system (with a sub if necessary)
-Doesn't have to be tremendously powerful (it's an apartment building), but would like it to sound real great
-Listen mostly to rock and jazz

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. I know it's tight, but i'm looking for the best I can get at this price point.

THANKS!

kexodusc
06-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Well, I'm going to be the first to recommend you consider buying 2nd hand equipment from audiogon.com, or ebay or somewhere. Generally, most people tend to take excellent care of their audio gear, and you can find some great savings this way.
As for speakers, well, if music is your priority I suggest this. Why jump right into the 5.1 system? Why not build your system a piece at a time and start off with some dynamite stereo speakers? Speakers will make the largest impact on the sound you hear out of all your gear, so don't overlook their importance. If music is your thing, 600 dollar speakers are going to bring a tear to your eye, where as 200 dollar speakers will merely be okay.

If you insist on 5 speakers and a sub, there are lots of brands of speakers that you can pick in your price range. Years back, I had great personal experience with both PSB alpha's and Paradigm Titans and Atoms. You should be able to find these easy enough 2nd hand and probably put something together.

If you insist on buying new, the HTIB's might be the best way for you to go now until you can afford some bigger better speakers. Athena Micra, Energy Take, and Paradigm Cinema (HTIB or whatever they call it now)are probabably the best place for you to start. They offer reasonable performance, though you're probably not going to like their music reproducing capabilities an aweful lot.

Bryan
06-02-2004, 05:25 AM
As music is the top priority, why not go with two speakers for now? Either a pair of used speakers off audiogon.com or new speakers would suffice. Depending upon what type you get then add on either a quality subwoofer or center. For example, if you find something such as the Rocket RS550 and later add a subwoofer such as the UFW-10 to it you are off to an excellent start for a HT system while having a good music system. Add the RSC200 next and then go with RS750 mains and you should be set. IMO, you should be looking at a pair of speakers for now and adding a sub next and building your system from there.

markw
06-02-2004, 06:20 AM
Gee, did that sound like a fortune cookie? Sorry.

Seriously, these $400 sale priced speakers (normally $600) can provide a LOT of bang for the buck. Probably won't even need a sub for quite a while.

http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ATHASF2&product_name=Audition%20AS-F2%20Tower%20Speakers%20-%20Pair

I've had their little brothers (F1's) for about two years now and still find them remarkably satisfying, particularly in light of their price. My first priority is music BTW. Had the F2’s been on sale for this price when I bought my F1’s, I would have gone with the F2’s as well.

As far as HT goes, I would recommend you use that extra $200 and scarf up the matching center channel NOW. As time and money permit you can always add the rear surrounds later. The front mains and center should match. The rears are less important but if they can be matched, all the better. Likewise, a sub can be added at any time as well. I did but rarely use it for music.

Here’s a review of what’s basically my system. Main difference is that I’m using the B2 for surrounds instead of the B1’s mentioned here.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/athena_audition_asf1_asc1_asb1.htm

FWIW, here’s my system(s) http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/1606.html

Teddyaudio
06-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Hello all -
I'm currently in the market for my first home theater setup. I'm on a pretty tight budget (maybe not too much of a problem - it's a small room) and I could use some help. Originally, I thought a decent HTiB speaker set would be appropriate - however, with research and some listening, i'm realizing that doesn't suit my needs. For me, the HEAVY priority is on MUSIC - I want speakers that sound great for music and ALSO work as surrounds for DVD movies, etc, but music is priority #1. The HTiB speakers have been pretty weak in this department, as if they're good at anything (questionable), it's movies.

I've already got a receiver picked out - I like the Denon AVR-1804. I'm at a total loss for picking out speakers. My speaker budget is limited to $600 MAX. I know it's not much to work with, but any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated. Here are my specs:
-Doesn't have to be tremendously powerful (it's an apartment building), but would like it to sound real great

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. I know it's tight, but i'm looking for the best I can get at this price point.

THANKS!

If you don't want to go with two speakers to start, here is an $800.00 system I own that has served me well. It is being discounted heavily. It works well for me--and when I play music, it sings.It can be ordered on line here. http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=arhc6&l=Nextag
Also, Here is a review of the system where it won a 2002 reviewers choice award. http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/acousticresearch_hc6.htm

Ted

IRG
06-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Hello all -

THANKS!

I agree with some of the others about getting 2 good speakers first (Hi MarkW!). And would concur with Mark on the Athena package.

Also, I would check out the Yamaha receivers, especially the HTR 5750 about $300 online maybe $400 at BB. Most likely this is cheaper than the Denon you are looking at, and with the money saved, put it towards speakers. Plus IMO, it is a better receiver. One I might get soon myself.

As for speakers. since you like Rock and Jazz, but live in an apartment, I would go with bookshelfs, good stands, and a medium sized sub. You can always turn the sub down, but that is harder to do with full range speakers.

B&W DM 303 ($300) would be a good choice, as would the Axioms advertised on this page. The Energy C series that I have for my 2 channel system are also impressive - I bought mine on ebay for under $300.

Also, check out partsexpress.com - they have a few DIY kits that look very impressive. You could also go that route for the sub, and save some money.

As for surrounds, you could buy something now really cheap, know that you will upgrade them in the future, and knowing that they are only for HT and now music. You can find a lot of bargains used, or at places like jandr.com on their clearance section.

Don't buy expensive wire either. Generic 12 or 14 guage cable will be fine for a system like this. Keep looking and good luck.

Griffon42
06-06-2004, 08:37 AM
Thanks all for your extremely informative help. I ended up going with a set of Athenas - I found a deal that was just too good to pass up. And after listening to them, I had my mind made up. So I'll be setting up the Audition series - 2 x F1s for the mains, 2 x B1s for the rears and the C1 center. I'm going to go it without the sub for now.

As mentioned earlier, I had sort of settled on the Denon-1804 for a receiver. I like the sound and features, but I haven't been able to pair it up with the Athenas at any stores in my area. Has anyone had experience with this combo? And if not, any other suggestions for a receiver (same price range or less) that matches well with the Athena audtitions?

Thanks again.

Geoffcin
06-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Hello all -

THANKS!

The budget speaker packages from Cambridge Soundworks. I have their speakers in my HT system and they are very good!

markw
06-14-2004, 04:18 AM
I'm using a Denon 2802 with my Athenas. A little more power than the 180x but not much. Not a problem at all. Love it.

It's always better to have a few more watts than you think you will need than to find out you don't have enough.

brian_tr
06-14-2004, 02:29 PM
I have been working with about the same budget for my bedroom. I have a Yamaha 795a reciever. I just ordered a set of 5.1 Orb speakers for $700. I have high hopes for them. They offer a 30 day money back if not happy. I will post the results after I get them and try them out.