sub/sat questions for HT and Music HELP! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sub/sat questions for HT and Music HELP!

rligeti
06-01-2004, 03:41 PM
I just sold my house and all the AV gear went with it since it was written into the contract. :-( I had Phase Technology Teatro towers, center and surrounds, Harmon Kardon AV receiver and an inexpensive Philips DVD player. I *LOVED* the sound of the teatro 10's and to me they were like the Definitive techn ology BP2002s for half the price. So here's my dilemma, the new house I'm getting has a massive built in cabinet for proj TV and all the speakers but the catch it, they have to be small. As in, my wife does not want to see them. As in sub/sat. Fair enough, since I get to go buy new stuff now. It has been so long since I have shopped or listened to anything in the store and now I'm faced with the daunting task of audtioning several if not dozens of sub sat systems. Can anyone offer any recomendations of what ot check out or avoid (besides bose)? I'm budgeting 1000-1500 for sub, center, sats and surrounds.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

kelsci
06-01-2004, 06:09 PM
My brother loves the Mirage Omnistat satellites with their sub. Go to their website and look them over. Sound and Vision Magazine on line has a report in their archives on this system. My brother said if he had the bread, they would be sitting in his room right now. His best friend in another state plans to get them with their sub. Find a dealer and get an audition on this system. Kelsci.

Bryan
06-02-2004, 05:09 AM
Hated the Omnistats. While nice looking they didn't draw me in. The sound presentation seemed artificial.

What dimensions do the speakers have to fit into? What size is the room the HT will be going in? Any openings into other rooms? If so, what are there dimensions?

kelsci
06-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Bryan; Interesting reply. I, Kelsci, have personally not heard them. Those speakers were recommended by my brother. I am very curious to hear them from your response. I have found myself at odds with my brother about half the time over the subject of audio. If I ever get to personally hear them( damm young "old age" problems interfere with this lifelong hobby), I will alert you as to my feelings on their audition. Kelsci.

Bryan
06-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Yeah. The premise of the Omnistat is you should be able to get a stereo image from the single speaker though it fails to deliver. Even listening to a pair was disappointing. (Then again, it could be due to my being spoiled by my nOrh 4.0s and 5.1s at the time.) Now, the Bronze series, OTOH, is excellent.

kelsci
06-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Religeti; take a look at this website. Here is the link. http://www.orbaudio.com/