Steve Miller Band: Recall the Beginning [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Steve Miller Band: Recall the Beginning

chancethegardener
06-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Full title is "Recall the Beginning - A Journey From Eden" - Steve Miller Band

A long since deleted album that I think was done in 1972 (?), and has never been released on CD (for some reason).

My recollection of it, when I had a cassette copy in the 1970's was that it was superb. I have searched for it ever since and it never turns up anywhere (as a second hand LP).

Anyone heard it recently? I think it is very rare and a collectors item.

Dave_G
06-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Never heard of that one before, I have several of his more popular ones on import remaster and they sound pretty good.

His stuff is pretty good for the most part.

Dave

dld
06-01-2004, 11:16 AM
New to me too. I'm a fan (older stuff mainly) and will be on the lookout at Garage and Estate sales.

tentoze
06-01-2004, 11:21 AM
I'll keep me eyes open in the used stores down the street. Never even heard of it, much less heard it. The 1st 3 SM albums were pretty hot stuff back in the day. I lost all interest in him after that, though, before he turned into a parody of himself (IMO).

skewiff
06-01-2004, 11:23 AM
My all time fave Steve Miller album. Side one is just a collection of short songs, but side two is just awesome, songs just flow into each other. Just four songs Loves riddle, Fandango, Nothing Lasts and Journey from Eden. I think this is one of my all time favorite album sides ever. Sadly this will never see the light of day on cd.
Tony

Hyfi
06-01-2004, 05:10 PM
First up...Welcome Tony from down under!

I used to have a Steve Miller LP that had no name. Just a black sleeve. One side was an incredible version of Macho City about 20 minutes long while the B side was an extended version of Abracadabra. I no longer have the LP(or any of my old LPs for that matter)but do have a nice scratchy copy on cassette.

Does anyone have this one? Has anyone heard it? So far I seem to be the only one to have ever heard of Macho City. I saw him do it live waaaaay back on tv, maybe Don Kirshners Rock Concert or similar.

Hyfi

skewiff
06-02-2004, 04:18 AM
First up...Welcome Tony from down under!

I used to have a Steve Miller LP that had no name. Just a black sleeve. One side was an incredible version of Macho City about 20 minutes long while the B side was an extended version of Abracadabra. I no longer have the LP(or any of my old LPs for that matter)but do have a nice scratchy copy on cassette.

Does anyone have this one? Has anyone heard it? So far I seem to be the only one to have ever heard of Macho City. I saw him do it live waaaaay back on tv, maybe Don Kirshners Rock Concert or similar.

Hyfi

Down under where?
Tony

chancethegardener
06-02-2004, 05:19 AM
Down under where?
Tony

No, he means me! We are obviously both named Tony! "Down under" is a US phrase meaning Australia.

And thanks for the welcome, Hyfi! I've never heard Macho City and I never saw a Steve Miller album that was an all black cover. Very interesting!

Skewif - we are musical compatriots. Recall the Beginning is my favourite Steve Miller album of all time too. The closing song, Journey from Eden, is a true masterpiece by any standards, as are all the songs on that side of the album. How do you actually know for sure that it will never be released on CD?

Thanks to all the people who said they would keep a look out for it. Maybe someone will turn one up. Hope so.

Cheers
Tony

Dusty Chalk
06-02-2004, 12:08 PM
I used to have a Steve Miller LP that had no name. Just a black sleeve. One side was an incredible version of Macho City about 20 minutes long while the B side was an extended version of Abracadabra...Does anyone have this one? Has anyone heard it? So far I seem to be the only one to have ever heard of Macho City.Uh, no, dld & I have both heard it, and both listed it as one of the worst things we've ever heard. We discussed it on the old board a long time ago -- before you joined, I think. Or was that two boards ago?

What you have is probably a 12" single for Abracadabra, with Macho City as the b-side. The 20 minute version is also on the album from which it is culled, unfortunately.

Hyfi
06-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Uh, no, dld & I have both heard it, and both listed it as one of the worst things we've ever heard. We discussed it on the old board a long time ago -- before you joined, I think. Or was that two boards ago?

What you have is probably a 12" single for Abracadabra, with Macho City as the b-side. The 20 minute version is also on the album from which it is culled, unfortunately.

Well, I feel better now knowing I'm not totally nuts. Not a surprise you didn't like it though.

Thanks for the info.