Challenge Question = 1986 TV and DVD player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Question = 1986 TV and DVD player

atom12
05-31-2004, 01:37 PM
I have an old 1986 28" Magnavox TV set up in the playroom with a VCR to play the kids videos. Lately we have gone over to DVDs and don't own all that many videos tapes that the kids want to watch. Most of their collection is now on DVDs. I could tape the DVD but would rather buy an Inexpensive (cheap) DVD player and be done. I don't want to buy a new TV set as it still works fine and the kids are not fussy about picture quality(I am a bad father to deprive them so). We do not have the remote for the TV if it ever had one and I can't find a menu button. The only conections in the back are coax cable. Can I hook up a DVD player along with the VCR to this TV? I don't have a cablebox if that matters. Please give me some options and thanks for the attention.

markw
05-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Does the VCR have an AUX input?

woodman
05-31-2004, 02:26 PM
atom:
You don't have very many options that don't require the expenditure of some cash. Is your financial situation so tight that you just cannot afford a newer TV set for the kids to watch? If that IS the case, then the kids are gonna have to stay with videotapes unless and until there's a newer TV set to hook a DVD player to. You cannot simply route the output of the DVD player through a VCR to the "antenna" input on the back of the TV set. This is because most DVDs will be encrypted with MacroVision (to prevent the copying of the DVD onto a videotape). Running the signal through the VCR will result in an unwatchable picture.

Your least expensive solution would probably be a combination TV/DVD unit. One of these can be had for about $250-300.

The only other alternative would be an "RF modulator" which could be purchased from Radio Shack for around $30 or so. You could input the video and audio output from the DVD player into the RF modulator, which can then be connected to the "antenna" input on the TV. I'm not certain whether the RF mod will ignore the MacroVision or not, so you must buy one with return priveleges (if it doesn't work).

This is all there is ... sorry

atom12
05-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Thank you for your quick replies... I'm trying to see how long an 86 tv will last..I don't want to give up on the old girl quite yet... the sad thing is that it will probably outlast the 1998 Sony XBR that we have in our master bedroom right now..and the 2003 Toshiba 32" flatscreen we are currently enjoying in our family room. The kids( 4 and 2 yrs. old) will just have to adjust to the VCR tapes.(they're watching Bambi as we speak).

woodman
05-31-2004, 03:11 PM
Thank you for your quick replies... I'm trying to see how long an 86 tv will last..I don't want to give up on the old girl quite yet... the sad thing is that it will probably outlast the 1998 Sony XBR that we have in our master bedroom right now..and the 2003 Toshiba 32" flatscreen we are currently enjoying in our family room. The kids( 4 and 2 yrs. old) will just have to adjust to the VCR tapes.(they're watching Bambi as we speak).

That's the most sensible way for you to go ... keep the kids watching tapes instead of DVDs.

Just how long do you expect that '86 TV set to last anyway? Don't you realize that you've already had your money's worth several times over (the average life of color TVs is about 9 years).

Regards,

atom12
05-31-2004, 03:32 PM
That's the most sensible way for you to go ... keep the kids watching tapes instead of DVDs.

Just how long do you expect that '86 TV set to last anyway? Don't you realize that you've already had your money's worth several times over (the average life of color TVs is about 9 years).

Regards,
As an old fashion Cape Cod Yankee (RED SOX FAN) I hope the set will last a few more years!
Atom

atom12
05-31-2004, 03:35 PM
As an old fashion Cape Cod Yankee (RED SOX FAN) I hope the set will last a few more years!
Atom
Bye the way the set is a handme down from my inlaws so it cost me nothing, unless you count the blushing bride.

uncooked
06-01-2004, 08:12 PM
i have my dvd player run through my vcr, into an older tv in my room. and have never had a problem with the dvd not playing.

i record almost every movie i rent and i have never ran into that encrypted thing you were talking about.

AVMASTER
06-02-2004, 04:52 AM
a simple solution would be to purchase a DVD/VCR combo, can be had for as little a $150.00 ( name brands ) and connects the same way your current VCR is connected

durry
06-02-2004, 05:31 AM
An RF modulator from circuit city or best buy for 15 dollars will do the trick.(recotron is the brand name) You will not run into macrovision problems due to the fact that the little box is just changing the signal into RF. There will always be a slight picture quality decrease but as you said before your 2 and 4 year old really wont care if finding nemo looks a little fuzzier then it did on the sony.
Reguards
Joe

JStudrawa
06-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but none of the above options allow both the DVD player AND the VCR? Besides the running of the DVD thru the VCR, that is.

Does the RF modulator have an A/B input switch? Or simply swap cables per movie?

woodman
06-02-2004, 03:16 PM
atom12:

There was a post from uncooked that brought up a point that I overlooked here ... there were some VCRs that ignored the MacroVision encoding and were able to copy DVDs without any problem. They were in the minority however, which is why I probably neglected to mention the fact. Since your TV set is nearly 20 years old, perhaps your VCR is close behind, in which case it'd be worth a try to see if your VCR is one of the "chosen few" that will allow you to hook a DVD player to it for connection to the TV set.

If you want to try, take your existing DVD player from the "family room" or wherever. Connect a composite video cable (with the RCA plugs on the ends) from the DVD player to the (video) "Line in" jack on the VCR. You'll need to switch the VCR from "Antenna In" to "Line In" - just how to do that varies from one VCR to another. Then, with the VCR turned "on" and a DVD playing in the player, a picture should appear on the TV. If it does, you may have a "winner". Just hookup the audio the same way and you're home free. If none of this works, you're back to square one. You might also try the "RF modulator" approach by hooking up the modulator between the DVD player and the "Antenna In" on the VCR. Just be sure that the VCR is tuned to the channel 3 or 4 that is selected on the modulator - I recommend using channel 4 rather than 3.

Hope this helps you further (you ol' Cape Cod miser you)

Beckman
06-02-2004, 03:29 PM
atom12:

There was a post from uncooked that brought up a point that I overlooked here ... there were some VCRs that ignored the MacroVision encoding and were able to copy DVDs without any problem. Hope this helps you further (you ol' Cape Cod miser you)

I have my x-box connected through my VCR. I can watch DVD's fine, but if I try to record the DVD, I get a terrible recording.

markw
06-02-2004, 06:29 PM
atom12:

There was a post from uncooked that brought up a point that I overlooked here ... there were some VCRs that ignored the MacroVision encoding and were able to copy DVDs without any problem. They were in the minority however, which is why I probably neglected to mention the fact. Since your TV set is nearly 20 years old, perhaps your VCR is close behind, in which case it'd be worth a try to see if your VCR is one of the "chosen few" that will allow you to hook a DVD player to it for connection to the TV set.

If you want to try, take your existing DVD player from the "family room" or wherever. Connect a composite video cable (with the RCA plugs on the ends) from the DVD player to the (video) "Line in" jack on the VCR. You'll need to switch the VCR from "Antenna In" to "Line In" - just how to do that varies from one VCR to another. Then, with the VCR turned "on" and a DVD playing in the player, a picture should appear on the TV. If it does, you may have a "winner". Just hookup the audio the same way and you're home free. If none of this works, you're back to square one. You might also try the "RF modulator" approach by hooking up the modulator between the DVD player and the "Antenna In" on the VCR. Just be sure that the VCR is tuned to the channel 3 or 4 that is selected on the modulator - I recommend using channel 4 rather than 3.

Hope this helps you further (you ol' Cape Cod miser you)

I guess you didn't see my post right before yours.

Smokey
06-02-2004, 10:47 PM
By the time money is spend on demodulator, cables-and car gas :D, it might just be better to put little bit more on it and buy a new TV. With price of new TV so ridiculously low now days (ie Apex 27 In Flat TV $149), it is a shame not to.

Just think of how much better picture you will get with a new TV. The kids will be glad too :)