Price Drop in Big Screen TV's? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Price Drop in Big Screen TV's?

stevos2005
05-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Is it true that there's going to be a price drop in big screen TV's? Does anyone have any information on this. I'm just wondering what types of TV's and how big of a price drop.

Also, I'm looking for a 34" to 42" widescreen HDTV for $2000 or less. But I can definitely wait a couple months, even until December or so, if there'll be a large enough price drop.

Thanks.

woodman
05-31-2004, 11:15 AM
TV sets today are dirt cheap - when compared to everything else we buy! In fact, they're really getting too cheap to be in the best interests of the consumer. Which is not to say that the mfgs. will not keep on reducing prices (and reducing build quality in the process) year in and year out They will, for that's what they've been doing for the last 50 years! Consider this: 50 years ago, when TV was in it's infancy, a black&white set with a 12" screen - no remote control - no stereo sound - difficult to operate - cost $200. A new car (Ford, Chevy, Plymouth, etc) cost around $1K. Today $200 will buy you a 27" color TV set with stereo sound AND a remote control AND as simple as can be to operate. Those new cars on the other hand, will run you about $20K - give or take a few thou! 'Nuff said?

Don't wait any longer ... get a set today (before they get any cheaper). It will be in YOUR best interests to do so, rather than waiting for prices to drop even further. Contrary to popular misconception, lower prices on consumer electronics are not what we should all be applauding ... far from it. You can already get a whale of a bargain on an HDTV set today for well under $2000.

One other thing. Get an extended warranty coverage on whatever you buy. Do not listen to those that try to tell you that such warranties are a waste of money ... they quite simply don't know whatinthehell they're talking about. All they know is that they've owned 3 or 4 or 6 or 8 TV sets and never had a problem with any of them, so why should anyone spend hundreds of dollars on a warranty that they probably will never use? Well, having spent a lifetime actually working on TVs, I'm here to tell you that they're flat-out wrong, Charlie Brown!

Also, I recommend a projection TV over a direct-view every day of the week.

Hope all of this helps you

Andreas
05-31-2004, 04:12 PM
I hear 30% drop on RPTV's next year as when intel enters the market.

Andreas

magictooth
06-01-2004, 06:51 AM
Is it true that there's going to be a price drop in big screen TV's? Does anyone have any information on this. I'm just wondering what types of TV's and how big of a price drop.

Also, I'm looking for a 34" to 42" widescreen HDTV for $2000 or less. But I can definitely wait a couple months, even until December or so, if there'll be a large enough price drop.

Thanks.
I think that there might a lot of competition from front projectors. A lot of new homes these days are considering wiring up a dedicated HT room, and the best video on a price:value basis is a front projector by a mile. If you've got $2000 to spend do you want a 40" screen that occupies 5 sq. ft. of floor space or do you want a 100" screen that occupies 1 sq. ft. of ceiling space?

IRG
06-01-2004, 10:41 AM
TV sets today are dirt cheap - when compared to everything else we buy! In fact, they're really getting too cheap to be in the best interests of the consumer. Which is not to say that the mfgs. will not keep on reducing prices (and reducing build quality in the process) year in and year out They will, for that's what they've been doing for the last 50 years! Consider this: 50 years ago, when TV was in it's infancy, a black&white set with a 12" screen - no remote control - no stereo sound - difficult to operate - cost $200. A new car (Ford, Chevy, Plymouth, etc) cost around $1K. Today $200 will buy you a 27" color TV set with stereo sound AND a remote control AND as simple as can be to operate. Those new cars on the other hand, will run you about $20K - give or take a few thou! 'Nuff said?

Don't wait any longer ... get a set today (before they get any cheaper). It will be in YOUR best interests to do so, rather than waiting for prices to drop even further. Contrary to popular misconception, lower prices on consumer electronics are not what we should all be applauding ... far from it. You can already get a whale of a bargain on an HDTV set today for well under $2000.

One other thing. Get an extended warranty coverage on whatever you buy. Do not listen to those that try to tell you that such warranties are a waste of money ... they quite simply don't know whatinthehell they're talking about. All they know is that they've owned 3 or 4 or 6 or 8 TV sets and never had a problem with any of them, so why should anyone spend hundreds of dollars on a warranty that they probably will never use? Well, having spent a lifetime actually working on TVs, I'm here to tell you that they're flat-out wrong, Charlie Brown!

Woodman,
I've heard you tout the benefits of an extended warranty for big TVs, what about a fridge? I'm buying a Sears Kenmore (Whirlpool) for $549 and bought a 3 year warranty for $120, but now I think I might cancel it - seems too pricey for what it is. If anything goes wrong with this Fridge and the warranty doesn't cover it, it will be the last product I buy from either. I bought a Craftsman lawn tractor $1800 from Sears w/out the warranty (again, they really push it) and have had 0 problems so far (over 2 yers old).

I can understand though with expensive TVs, they merit of it. But for an item under $600, is it worth it? Igor

stevos2005
06-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Hello! I would consider front projection, but can you get a decent front projector for $2000?

I was considering LCD projection? Are those any good. I would prefer not to get a CRT, since they are so heavy, and the RPTV's aren't the best quality, and plasma is too expensive.

Any thoughts on LCD projection?

Thanks

This Guy
06-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Does this fridge have an automatic ice-cube maker on the front side of it so you just put your cup underneath it and it will put out water, cubes, or crushed ice? If it does get the warranty, cause ours tends to jam up every so often and we have to get the guy to come in and fix it, ours is a Maytag. And this isn't related to a fridge, but I have a $450 tv that I wish i bought an extended warranty for, because something inside it broke and the standard warranty is up. My dad, an ex tv repairman is guessing and testing different parts and is trying to fix it. So far no luck. The TV is barely 1.5 years old.

-Joey

Teddyaudio
06-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Hello! I would consider front projection, but can you get a decent front projector for $2000?

I was considering LCD projection? Are those any good. I would prefer not to get a CRT, since they are so heavy, and the RPTV's aren't the best quality, and plasma is too expensive.

Thanks

Go to www.projectorcentral.com. There is a wealth of information on projectors and lots of reviews there. Like Woodman said, I am going to run a 100 inch screen ( I already have a 51 inch Pioneer RPTV) which is not so big in our 34 x 15 foot room. For a great price on a screen for your projector go to www.carada.com and read about their reasonably priced screens. I am looking at the Sanyo PLV-Z2 ($1795 online) or the Panasonic PTL-500U for about the same price online. These units are HDTV compatible. Like you, I am looking to get a good projector for under 2K. I like the DLP projectors (sharp picture with blacker blacks than LCD), but the price is a little steep for me at this time. Some people are concerned about the "rainbow" effect with the color wheels in use on DLP projectors. It bothers them to watch.

Ted

dapercy
06-02-2004, 02:28 PM

Thanks.

Check out this message in the "News and Rumors" board. It will answer you question as to what is going to drive the cost of RPTV's down.
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3366

woodman
06-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Comments on what some others have posted:

I hear 30% drop on RPTV's next year as when intel enters the market.

Maybe Intel has solved the problems associated with the LCoS technology, and have figured out just how to manufacture them for next to nothing - or, it's just wishful thinking on their part (perhaps to drive their stock price higher?)

... and the best video on a price:value basis is a front projector by a mile. If you've got $2000 to spend do you want a 40" screen that occupies 5 sq. ft. of floor space or do you want a 100" screen that occupies 1 sq. ft. of ceiling space?

How about we make that 17 miles?

Woodman,
I've heard you tout the benefits of an extended warranty for big TVs, what about a fridge? I'm buying a Sears Kenmore (Whirlpool) for $549 and bought a 3 year warranty for $120, but now I think I might cancel it - seems too pricey for what it is. If anything goes wrong with this Fridge and the warranty doesn't cover it, it will be the last product I buy from either. I bought a Craftsman lawn tractor $1800 from Sears w/out the warranty (again, they really push it) and have had 0 problems so far (over 2 yers old).

I can understand though with expensive TVs, they merit of it. But for an item under $600, is it worth it? Igor

Sorry Igor - I have no answer for this one. I don't know diddly about refigerator reliability today (I didn't know anything about it yesterday either). I suggest that you consult some (independent) appliance servicers in your area to see what they have to say on the subject.

Emphatically ... yes!. You can get a good front projector for $2K (and even less). CRT-based front projectors are being phased out of production, plus you wouldn't want one of those anyway (unless you're a fanatic with more time and money on your hands than ... ). Look into a Sanyo PLV-Z2 for around $1800.

Check out this message in the "News and Rumors" board. It will answer you question as to what is going to drive the cost of RPTV's down.
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3366

This is the exact same bit of "info" as what Andreas was talking about. My answer is the same ... maybe Intel knows something that Toshiba, JVC, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, and Sony haven't been able to figure out for themselves ... then agian, maybe not!

Many questions ... damned few real answers

jmracura
06-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Woodman,

i wouldn't get it for the fridge... just make sure to clean the dust and webs that will form behind it and under it a few times year. a sears servicemen (contacter) told me this.
same goes for the washer and dryer...

dapercy
06-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Comments on what some others have posted:

This is the exact same bit of "info" as what Andreas was talking about. My answer is the same ... maybe Intel knows something that Toshiba, JVC, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, and Sony haven't been able to figure out for themselves ... then agian, maybe not!

Many questions ... damned few real answers

Well, Toshiba, JVC and Mitsubishi are not semiconductor companies and if I'm not mistaken they buy their LCOS chips from another small manufacturer. Also Intel can make a microchip far cheaper than any other semiconductor company in the world due to their mammoth manufacturing base. But its not even worth arguing about b/c we'll know in 8 months all about it.

Andreas
06-02-2004, 04:37 PM
http://www.intel.com/design/celect/technology/lcos/

Woochifer
06-02-2004, 04:40 PM

Good advice on the warranty. The main justification that I can see with the extended warranty on any big screen TV is that a lot of them include on-site servicing. I haven't priced them out recently, but I remember that just the service fee for technician to do a house call wasn't exactly cheap.

woodman
06-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Good advice on the warranty. The main justification that I can see with the extended warranty on any big screen TV is that a lot of them include on-site servicing. I haven't priced them out recently, but I remember that just the service fee for technician to do a house call wasn't exactly cheap.

Glad you understand me, Wooch. The complexity of today's HDTV sets demands that the consumer get all of the protection possible ... end of conversation. 20-30 years ago the "conventional wisdom" that said - "if you make it through the first year without problems, you're probably good to go for the next 10 years" had some merit. Today, it's all but totally worthless!

stevos2005
06-02-2004, 10:10 PM
This unit seems like an incredible deal to me. Although I have several questions.
I'm completely new to front projection, and was wondering what are some good screens to match with it. Since the Sanyo can be had for $1800 or so, I guess I could go $400 on a screen.

I also like front projectors since the picture size can be adjusted from 31" to 200". Also, I'm not paying for extra features like speakers, etc. The only connection cable I'll be running is a component video cable from my Yamaha receiver.

How are front projectors and screens usually mounted. Given the room size and viewing position, the largest possible screen size would be 60" 16:9 diagonal.

Thanks!

magictooth
06-03-2004, 06:27 AM
This unit seems like an incredible deal to me. Although I have several questions.
I'm completely new to front projection, and was wondering what are some good screens to match with it. Since the Sanyo can be had for $1800 or so, I guess I could go $400 on a screen.

I also like front projectors since the picture size can be adjusted from 31" to 200". Also, I'm not paying for extra features like speakers, etc. The only connection cable I'll be running is a component video cable from my Yamaha receiver.

How are front projectors and screens usually mounted. Given the room size and viewing position, the largest possible screen size would be 60" 16:9 diagonal.

Thanks!
The projector is ideally mounted on the ceiling, but you can put it on a table in front of you. The screen is a matter of prefrence, there's fixed mounted, roll up, motorized. With a 60" screen an that projector, you're going to need to put the unit only about 70-80" away from the screen.

IRG
06-03-2004, 08:43 AM
i wouldn't get it for the fridge... just make sure to clean the dust and webs that will form behind it and under it a few times year. a sears servicemen (contacter) told me this.
same goes for the washer and dryer...

That was kinda of my thinking about it too. It doesn't have an ice maker, or anything else to go wrong beyond the normal compressor. It is an Energy Star model, but I don't know why (contrary to the salesman) that would really make a difference. I also didn't get the extended warranty for my Sears Kenmore washer and dryer, and if I had, it would have been wasted money now.

Always helps to hear someone else reaffirm your beliefs!

agidol
06-04-2004, 07:49 AM

Thanks

I own a LCD projection TV and love everything about it. My model is Sony KF42WE610 (42 inch) and it gives Plasma like picture at a half price. The regular price on this TV is $2,800 (and they are selling like crazy) but with some luck you can get it cheaper. I was one of the very lucky ones who bought this TV for $2,000 plus 4 year warranty for total of $2,500 because I let Circuit City and PC Richard outbid each other (good thing about these big boys is they try to beat each other even if they lose money on the sale). One more thing about extended warranty - I found out after I purchased the warranty from Circuit City that you can purchase warranty directly from insurance companies at a half price of those retailers (no middleman hence the savings). You can search for those companies in Internet (don't know much about them but they seem to have been around for a while) Hope this helps.