off topic: do you know someone in the military? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : off topic: do you know someone in the military?

newtrix1
05-31-2004, 04:59 AM
I attended a wedding on Saturday. The brides brother (my wifes nephew), Steve, phoned from Texas during the reception and was patched thru the PA system via cellphone. While he wished the bride and groom well wishes,I scanned the reception hall noticing many a tear filled eye, including Steves wife & parents.
Steve isn't in Iraq yet, but probably will be soon with the 101st Cavalry. Tonight I'm going to make a photo-album of some pix from his sisters wedding and e-mail it off to him. It's the least I can do for a true "officer & gentlemen".

Happy Memorial day, with hopes that these people will be safely back home soon.

Toady
05-31-2004, 07:24 AM
one of my best friends is in the special forces. he didn't take his special forces deployment because the old unit he captianed was being shipped out to afghanistan without him. he got an offer to join them and did. then he went with them again to iraq. he just got back recently.

Dusty Chalk
05-31-2004, 08:52 AM
You want a list? I know lots of people (some related directly, other not-so-related) that either got back, are currently deployed, or are "on standby". My best wishes always go out to all of them.

mad rhetorik
05-31-2004, 10:43 AM
He's an Army paratrooper from my college. He just graduated this year, and is going to be sent into Iraq sometime this summer. I wish him well, and hope he comes back in one piece.

Chip_B
05-31-2004, 01:12 PM
I spent 22 years on active duty with the Air Force (retired in '95), so most of the folks I've known throughout my adult life have been Service members and their families.

I work at Central Command as a defense contractor these days, so I know a lot of folks that are currently in-theater or will be going over soon.

-Chip

dld
05-31-2004, 03:17 PM
I too was at a wedding Saturday and saw my oldest nephew, Chad. He served with the Marines in Somalia (they were the group that were in counry before the Rangers/Delta Force were sent in to root out the bad guys). He now is in the Coast Guard, stationed in Paduka (Sp??) Ky. doing homeland security on the Mississippi, Tennessee and Other(??) river. Poor guys are responsible for all kinds of crap (Dams, shipping, ports, etc. ) and go out UNARMED!! Personally, I'd feel a little more comfortable knowing they at least had sidearms, if not SAWs, M-16s, etc. I know a few others, but no blood relatives. Bless all of em. Mary, I hope your Ryan is doing well.

Dusty Chalk
05-31-2004, 04:33 PM
Poor guys are responsible for all kinds of crap (Dams, shipping, ports, etc. ) and go out UNARMED!! Yeah, I know a guy who was in the middle of digging out some comrades in the Falkland islands (no, not survivors, the other kind...) when they were attacked...all he had to defend himself with was a shovel! That was about when he decided he needed to get out...not that all his memories of the armed services were bad, but just some decision-making processes and (at the time) budgeting limitations. Sounds like that part hasn't changed.

Worf101
05-31-2004, 09:01 PM
I attended a wedding on Saturday. The brides brother (my wifes nephew), Steve, phoned from Texas during the reception and was patched thru the PA system via cellphone. While he wished the bride and groom well wishes,I scanned the reception hall noticing many a tear filled eye, including Steves wife & parents.
Steve isn't in Iraq yet, but probably will be soon with the 101st Cavalry. Tonight I'm going to make a photo-album of some pix from his sisters wedding and e-mail it off to him. It's the least I can do for a true "officer & gentlemen".

Errrr not to be a stickler but... it's the 101st Airborne (jump out of the plane) and the 1st Air Cavalry (jump out the helicopter). Airborne vs. Airmobile, if you get the two confused in the wrong bar, at the wrong time you'll get your head broke. My niece is in the 101, Screamin Eagles, got back from Iraq about 4 months ago. I was in the 8th, 5th and 2nd Combat Engineer Battalions. The 8th was attached to the 1st of the 9th Air Cav. Since you asked, I answered.

David D. Macks, ex-sergeant 8th, 5th & 2nd Engineer Bns. "Essayons"!!!!

newtrix1
06-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Errrr not to be a stickler but... it's the 101st Airborne (jump out of the plane) and the 1st Air Cavalry (jump out the helicopter). Airborne vs. Airmobile, if you get the two confused in the wrong bar, at the wrong time you'll get your head broke. My niece is in the 101, Screamin Eagles, got back from Iraq about 4 months ago. I was in the 8th, 5th and 2nd Combat Engineer Battalions. The 8th was attached to the 1st of the 9th Air Cav. Since you asked, I answered.

David D. Macks, ex-sergeant 8th, 5th & 2nd Engineer Bns. "Essayons"!!!!

It's crystal clear now :confused:. I know his dad said "cavalry" and there was at least one "1" in the #.
I'm glad to hear that many of the replies here are saying that those who served arrived back home safely.

Dave_G
06-01-2004, 09:48 AM
A good friend of mine here at work spent 14 months in Bahrain, where he does Intel work for the Navy.

He said that Bahrain was the place to be if you had to be over there.

He brought me a Hard Rock cafe tee shirt from there, I get several comments when I wear it for sure.

He's a pretty serious dude and I'm glad we have folks like him with brains involved in all this mess...

Dave

Audio Girl
06-02-2004, 01:32 PM
My 22-year-old son and only child deployed to Iraq on the USS Belleau Wood with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) of the USMC last Thursday, May 27th. You may have read the DOD's news release about it. They updated the report last night, stating that the 11th MEU will be relieving the Army's 1st Armored Division & the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment in the coming weeks.

We were extremely fortunate that he was able to come home for 2 weeks liberty prior to deployment, and our family made the most of this time with him. My son did send an email from the ship last night, stating that he had been promoted from a PFC to Lance Corporal. He was thrilled, and we are extremely proud of him.

God bless our troops, those who serve(d), and those who have fallen.

Ag

ForeverAutumn
06-02-2004, 06:17 PM
My 22-year-old son and only child deployed to Iraq on the USS Belleau Wood with the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) of the USMC last Thursday, May 27th. You may have read the DOD's news release about it. They updated the report last night, stating that the 11th MEU will be relieving the Army's 1st Armored Division & the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment in the coming weeks.

We were extremely fortunate that he was able to come home for 2 weeks liberty prior to deployment, and our family made the most of this time with him. My son did send an email from the ship last night, stating that he had been promoted from a PFC to Lance Corporal. He was thrilled, and we are extremely proud of him.

God bless our troops, those who serve(d), and those who have fallen.

Ag

Hey AG. I'm glad that you saw this thread and responded. Your absence around here lately had me thinking about you and wondering how your son is doing. I'm glad to hear that he's doing well. You should be very proud of him.

Here's to his safe return.

FA

newtrix1
06-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Hey AG. I'm glad that you saw this thread and responded. Your absence around here lately had me thinking about you and wondering how your son is doing. I'm glad to hear that he's doing well. You should be very proud of him.

FA

Well said FA, I think that sums it all up for everyone.

tentoze
06-02-2004, 07:32 PM
My nephew, a medic, but I don't know his regiment/battalion- he did several months in Iraq early on, before coming home for the birth of his 4th child. He just got reassigned to somewhere around Denver, and I am relieved to hear that.

Audio Girl
06-03-2004, 06:19 AM
Thank you, FA & NT, for your kind comments. We are very proud of our son, and the choices he has made for his life. When I was in San Diego to see him off for deployment, it was so uplifting to be with these Marines ~ male & female, every rank represented ~ they are in great spirits about serving their country, and commencing the work at hand.

Our son is deployed to Iraq from 7 months to 1 year ~ it's going to be a long year for this Mom. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers (if you pray).

Ag

FA