Sub-woofer Issues [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub-woofer Issues

jxq25
05-31-2004, 04:05 AM
G'Day All,

I've recently added a powered subwoofer to my existing home theatre system (speakers are all of the one brand) and have experienced some difficulty in setting it up to my liking.

I am getting the steady hum that other posters on this site have complained of an will try to remedy this with the solutions suggested.

However, I am concerned with the fact that on my amps self-test mode (Yamaha brand) where a tone is relayed to each individual speaker in turn, no tone is audible when the sub is being tested. Is this normal? Is no tone heard because of the low frequencies the sub is designed to deal with?

Also, the steady hum mentioned above has also manifested itself in my main and surround speakers. Is there a reason/explaination for this and a possible solution? It is most disconcerting when the audio of a cd/dvd drops away and only the hum is audible.

Thanks to all of those that read this long post and hopefully some of you will be able to help me ouot with some suggestions.

Cheers All!

Bryan
06-01-2004, 07:05 AM
For the hum you will want to try a cheater plug. You can purchase one at your local Radio Shack or hardware store. It is a three prong to two prong adapter. A ground loop is what is causing the hum. The adapter should take care of that problem.