Subwoofer Recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Recommendations

Paul Britt
05-30-2004, 09:58 PM
I am looking for a new subwoofer. My mid-fi system has the following Definitive Tech speakers now. CLR 3000 center. BP2000 mains. BP20 rear surround. BPVX/P as a middle speaker between the two back surrounds and a pair of BPVX at roughly the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. I have an older Def Tech Powerfield 1500 subwoofer with 15' woofer and about 300 watts. The speakers are driven by 4 Carver TFM 35X power amps. Only the one older power Field Sub handles the special effects of the LFE channel, since the old BP 2000's cannot accept a LFE input. I am unsatisfied with the crunch and thump of the LFE channel in my system. I am looking at SVS PB2 Plus and the Def Tech SuperCube Reference. Unfortunately I will have to buy either of them without an audition. The room is large, about 20'x 30' and a ten foot ceiling. Most of my listening is home theater and not music. Any thoughts on these two options guys? Any other recommendations? I only have about $1500 to spend, so please don't recommend some $3000 uber-woofer.

avitar4321
05-31-2004, 06:38 PM
whatever you do, go big. Your room is very large. I just bought the Velodyne SPL 1200 II which is the 12" for my room which is 20 x 20 x 9. I would recomend buying a used Velodyne HGS 15 or 18".

Bryan
06-01-2004, 05:51 AM
Have you considered dual VMPS New Original Subwoofers (kit with megawoofer upgrades) - should be $958 delivered - and a Crown CE-1000 (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=245-430&DID=7) for $450 delivered? My fear is that the PB2-Plus, as excellent as it is, would fall short of your expectations due to the room size (6000 cubic feet). Ideally, dual VMPS New Larger Subwoofers or SVS B4 should work but that is outside of your price range. Dual Rocket UFW-10s may work though I'd guess you will want to upgrade them to dual UFW-12s though initially the single one would be within your price range. Would look around for used dual Paradigm Servo 15s.

magictooth
06-01-2004, 06:46 AM
Wow, big room. SVS is supposed to be quite a good model, but I don't have experience with that sub. If possible, you could look for a Paradigm Servo-15 new or used. If you are a bit handy, there's Adire Audio. You could try the Tempest (15") or Maelstrom (18") driver along with the HS 500 series plate amp. That would give you a ton of muscle for about $1000 + enclosure. If you buy it at the right place, they may also be able to assemble one for you.

mtrycraft
06-01-2004, 10:28 PM
I am looking for a new subwoofer. My mid-fi system has the following Definitive Tech speakers now. CLR 3000 center. BP2000 mains. BP20 rear surround. BPVX/P as a middle speaker between the two back surrounds and a pair of BPVX at roughly the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. I have an older Def Tech Powerfield 1500 subwoofer with 15' woofer and about 300 watts. The speakers are driven by 4 Carver TFM 35X power amps. Only the one older power Field Sub handles the special effects of the LFE channel, since the old BP 2000's cannot accept a LFE input. I am unsatisfied with the crunch and thump of the LFE channel in my system. I am looking at SVS PB2 Plus and the Def Tech SuperCube Reference. Unfortunately I will have to buy either of them without an audition. The room is large, about 20'x 30' and a ten foot ceiling. Most of my listening is home theater and not music. Any thoughts on these two options guys? Any other recommendations? I only have about $1500 to spend, so please don't recommend some $3000 uber-woofer.

I would aslo suggest looking at the SVS speakers, maybe even two.