Searching for a specific kind of sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a specific kind of sub

Harryt
05-30-2004, 01:24 AM
Based on an some advice from earlier post about bi-amping, I think I'm going to try to get a sub to go with my system.

What I want is a sub that really teases out bass detail AT LOWER VOLUMES. I enjoy music at low to moderate volumes but I'm missing bass richness right now in my system unless I really crank it so I'm hoping a sub will pull out the textures of the bass even low. So... I know there are plenty of subs out there that are meant to be superb when they're CRANKED up to 11. But what about subs that are truly supurb when they're on 5 or even better below it?

I have a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 v3 and a Jolida 302B hybrid.

Thanks

Harryt

N. Abstentia
05-30-2004, 06:35 AM
Did you try the Paradigm Servo 15? Works for me!

Harryt
05-31-2004, 01:22 PM
Is the key to a great subwoofer at lower volumes the Hz that it goes down to, basically? In other words, am I really looking mostly for a subwoofer that will go below 20 Hz or 18 Hz or whatever? Or is it more complex than that?

markw
05-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Their research found that the human ear is less sensitive to low frequencies at low levels. At low levels to hear bass, it must be "louder" than higher frequencies. Their research led manucacturer's to create what's commonly known as the "loudness" button, which increases bass at lower levels.

Woochifer
05-31-2004, 02:27 PM
If you want the fullest and richest bass possible, then you need to account for the room acoustics, it's that simple. Using a parametric equalizer, you can even out the bass response and eliminate the largest peaks. Those peaks make the bass sound boomy at specific frequencies and thin at others. In order to prevent that boominess from dominating the bass, the user has to set the bass level lower than it should be. By eliminating the large peaks (which can be 10 db+ in a typical small-to-medium sized room), you can raise the overall level but rather than an inconsistent and boomy bass, you get something that's full and even. A Radio Shack SPL meter, bass tone test disc, and Behringer Feedback Destroyer (probably the lowest priced parametric equalizer option out there) will cost you about $170, and IMO it's an essential tool with getting the best possible performance out of any subwoofer.

As markw pointed out, if low level bass is what you want, then you need to raise the subwoofer output because the human ear is less sensitive at lower frequencies. (it's the same reason why a lot of people on this board recommend raising the subwoofer level 4 db higher than the mains)

Harryt
05-31-2004, 02:33 PM
OK! Now I'm beginning to make some sense of it. I'm, sadly, pretty inept when it comes to scientific ideas but you are helping solidify it for me, more so than any of my college professors were ever able to do. If you've got the time and the inclination, can you tell me if you think there's any substantive difference between a good Hsu, SVS, Paradigm, etc? Or is it just "dealer's choice" once you get the right equipment (equalizer, etc.) to set any good subwoofer to meet your listening pleasure?

Bryan
06-01-2004, 07:00 AM
First of all it starts with your room size. Next up is your budget. Another thing is you may be used to boomy bass, aka exagerated bass notes from 35Hz - 63Hz, rather than clear, distinct bass notes. If you will be using the sub primarily for HT, look to SVS or HSU, basically your ported subs. If music is your way of choice Adire Audio or Rocket should peak your interest along with other sealed subwoofers. I can tell you there is a difference between subs. For instance, my VMPS Large Subwoofer is slightly tighter for music and louder for HT than my SVS 20-39CSi. However, the SVS is no slouch and I would be perfectly content with never having gotten the VMPS (got it for too good a price to pass up). As a matter of fact, today both are used in my HT system.

Get what you want but whatever you get be sure to purchase the SPL meter, calibration disk, and equalizer. They are valuable tools with any subwoofer. Do not expect those to make a $200 Sony sub sound better than a $450 HSU for there is no substitute for quality.

jeffrodesiac
06-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Based on an some advice from earlier post about bi-amping, I think I'm going to try to get a sub to go with my system.

What I want is a sub that really teases out bass detail AT LOWER VOLUMES. I enjoy music at low to moderate volumes but I'm missing bass richness right now in my system unless I really crank it so I'm hoping a sub will pull out the textures of the bass even low. So... I know there are plenty of subs out there that are meant to be superb when they're CRANKED up to 11. But what about subs that are truly supurb when they're on 5 or even better below it?

I have a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 v3 and a Jolida 302B hybrid.

Thanks

HarrytLook on Ebay for the NHT SA-3 W/ the 12' sub SW3P

ranbunctious
08-20-2004, 08:53 PM
I thought that I was the only one to buy subs that only go down to 20hz. The only ones I've found are the Cerwin Vegas. Another great thing about them is that they perform the best at low volumes. You might be having the same problem I had. I got terrible bass response from my big main speakers. I got what I wanted after adding an equalizer and boosted the bottom end while turning down the brassy mids.

This Guy
08-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Yea uhh a lot of subs go down to 20 hz and even lower.