Currently Active Users in this Forum: 96 (7 members and 89 guests) ??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Currently Active Users in this Forum: 96 (7 members and 89 guests) ???

Davey.
11-30-2003, 07:11 PM
Does anyone believe those numbers? If you go to the A/V Forums page it shows only 15 people max viewing any of the other forums but over 100 at Rave Recs? Doesn't make sense. Something must be screwed up. Anyone else noticed this before?

Snowbunny
11-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Does anyone believe those numbers? If you go to the A/V Forums page it shows only 15 people max viewing any of the other forums but over 100 at Rave Recs? Doesn't make sense. Something must be screwed up. Anyone else noticed this before?

Yup, I smell a glitch! 158 active members now...

tentoze
11-30-2003, 08:33 PM

Nice avatar, regardless of the glitchy numbers.............

Dusty Chalk
11-30-2003, 09:29 PM
173 viewing? That's insane. Have we been slash-dotted?

Davey.
11-30-2003, 09:42 PM
I agree with tentoze, that's a pretty cute little snowbunny avatar ya got there. Have you seen this bunny bandito in your neck of the woods yet? :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/snowbandit.jpg

Davey.
11-30-2003, 10:01 PM
173 viewing? That's insane. Have we been slash-dotted?
Hehehe, yeah I just saw over at Rocky Road that Jaywire linked his Joey Ramone pics which accounts for all the views it's been getting. But it still doesn't make sense that so many people would stay and hang around all night. Still maybe a bug in the rug, but I don't know how they keep count.

Digital-G
12-01-2003, 06:05 AM
... I think it's interesting to see how many other people are plugged in. The Rave Recordings forum ALWAYS has many more people viewing it than the other forums. I assume that the guests don't have logins (or at least they haven't logged in during this session) and therefore don't show in the "logged on" list. Maybe this is obvious, I don't know.

Keep in mind that this forum is world-wide and therefore what appears to be the middle of the night may be Europeans checking it out first thing in the morning - I've noticed that's when the numbers seem highest, generally speaking - in the morning.

I know I was guilty of loitering around the forums long before I ever signed up for an account. Especially to check out the Rave Recordings. I still don't really post that much, but it's fun to eavesdrop...

Jim Clark
12-01-2003, 06:38 AM
You'd think that out of all those people looking at least one would be interested in trying out the absolutely free Mystery disc. I guess they were all long time lurkers and discovered long ago that my taste in music is spotty at best.

jc

Finch Platte
12-01-2003, 06:44 AM
You'd think that out of all those people looking at least one would be interested in trying out the absolutely free Mystery disc. I guess they were all long time lurkers and discovered long ago that my taste in music is spotty at best.

jc

Maybe they read it as a 'Mysery' disc?

If it would make you feel better, I'd take 2.

fp

Jim Clark
12-01-2003, 07:17 AM
Maybe they read it as a 'Mysery' disc?

If it would make you feel better, I'd take 2.

fp

Ha! Guess I need to throw cash into the mix-and no-you're not getting any.

jc

Chris
12-01-2003, 10:04 AM
It's an automated number generated by the number of IP addresses accessing the server I believe - not much room for error. I'm not surprised with the count, as we've always had a very high number of unique visitors to our site. It's very likely that the majority of the "guests" lurking have not got themselves logged into the new system yet. This is pretty normal when a site changes systems like we did. As time goes on, more people will eventually login/register, and the percentage will even out and the scale will begin tilting the other way.

Davey.
12-01-2003, 12:22 PM
I'm not surprised with the count, as we've always had a very high number of unique visitors to our site.
Hehehe, you're a dreamer Chris :)

My initial fascination was with the huge jump overnight in the number of guests (maybe sixfold) since it only occurred on the Rave Recordings board. But then I found out that it was because one of the members here made a post and subsequently linked to it at The Velvet Rope site which has much more traffic and so we temporarily have over 100 guests that normally don't visit your site. Hope some of them like what they see and decide to stay awhile :)

Chris
12-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Hehehe, you're a dreamer Chris :)

My initial fascination was with the huge jump overnight in the number of guests (maybe sixfold) since it only occurred on the Rave Recordings board. But then I found out that it was because one of the members here made a post and subsequently linked to it at The Velvet Rope site which has much more traffic and so we temporarily have over 100 guests that normally don't visit your site. Hope some of them like what they see and decide to stay awhile :)That makes sense, and I had a hunch that might have happened - especially with such a big jump in a short period of time. But nonetheless, we have hundreds of thousands of unique visitors per month here on our site. Granted, most of those people read the reviews, but it should come as no suprise when we actually have a couple hundred users in our forums at one time. It's completely possible. Even though we just recently have been able to look at this stat, I'd bet money that we used to have way more than that online simultaneously a couple years ago when we were the only premier online Audio resource. Before too long, these numbers won't be so surprising, as we get back to basics.

Stone
12-01-2003, 02:31 PM
This (http://www.cmj.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/015268.html) may have something to do with it too.