Impedance question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Impedance question

lumiere
05-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Have question about impedance. My amp is Musical Fidelity A 3.2 integrated, rated at 115 wpc at 8 ohm, 230 at 4 ohm. My question is, would using a 4 ohm speaker be dangerous to the amp? Would it get to hot?
Thanks, in advance.

Miguel

RGA
05-29-2004, 04:56 PM
No the MF can handle 4 ohm speakers. Generally if they proivide the 4 ohm rating the amp is 4 ohm capable - if they don't provide it they generally dislike 4ohm speakers. There are exceptions - but MF is a high quality amp that is probably stable to 2ohms.

lumiere
05-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks!!!

nusiclover
06-02-2004, 01:07 PM
i have the a3.2 driving 4ohm speakers - no sweat! sounds great.

btw, is your moniker have anything to do with the forefathers of cinema?

lumiere
06-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Nusiclover. And yes, I'm an editor.
Cheers.

Geoffcin
06-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Have question about impedance. My amp is Musical Fidelity A 3.2 integrated, rated at 115 wpc at 8 ohm, 230 at 4 ohm. My question is, would using a 4 ohm speaker be dangerous to the amp? Would it get to hot?
Thanks, in advance.

Miguel

The A3cr, and it has no problem driving my 4 ohm speakers. MF amps generally run cool, and are not bothered by low impedance.

JeffBrecklin
06-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi im new here and fairly new to audio equepment i have a reciever that is rated at 8 ohms is it dangerous to run 4 ohm speakers on it it gets warm but not hot what will happen to it if i have it on 4 ohms for a long time?

nusiclover
06-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi im new here and fairly new to audio equepment i have a reciever that is rated at 8 ohms is it dangerous to run 4 ohm speakers on it it gets warm but not hot what will happen to it if i have it on 4 ohms for a long time?

Jeff- ok, danger is right. while it may not catch fire (the good news), the bad news is that your amp could blow out...worse is that it could be sending bad juice to your speakers and this could cause permanent damage after time. what amp are you using? what speakers are you using? it is all relative to this of course, but i think you may be looking at trouble down the road.

nusiclover
06-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Thanks, Nusiclover. And yes, I'm an editor.
Cheers.

and dont forget to leave your MF gear on at all times. hopefully you have it all connected via a surge protector, if so, then MF recommends to just leave on their amp at all times ( i would turn down the volume when done just to be sure). this isnt something that everyone knows, maybe you already do, but MF amps are safer to leave permanently on (with exceptions to when you leave home for days at a time) because the problems arise mostly when equiptment is repeatedyl turned on and off and leaving it on, while not playing music, consumes a very small amount of energy. MF also says that is you leave it permanently on, is will take only a few minutes to get your amp warmed up instead of an hour if its in power off (because the interior will be cold = cold sound).
cheers, nusic

pd. what form of editing? film, criticism, etc? i am studying film history at the moment and am curious to know what people do for a living in the market. previously i worked in design and computers, but film is more passionate to me.