Goin' to See "The Day After Tomorrow" Tonight.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Goin' to See "The Day After Tomorrow" Tonight....

Lexmark3200
05-29-2004, 03:40 PM
....let y'all know what I thought when I return....

Enjoy your holiday weekend!

Lexmark3200
05-29-2004, 10:04 PM
.....thanks to the help of a discount ticket that came inside my Independence Day Limited Edition DVD, I got one free admission to Roland Emerich's latest take on the end of the world....worked out for me and my better half....

Of course, great special effects...as he did in ID-4, Emerich has again destroyed LA and New York in only a way he knows how; tornadoes rip through LA and wipe out the city.....and I DO mean wipe out....within minutes, New York is a frozen wasteland under feet upon feet of snow....this was like Twister meets ID-4.

Dont know how I feel about Dennis Quaid in the lead; he seemed awkward and somehow not right for this role.

The most frightening thing about the flick was the fact that something like this can actually happen and the thoughts of another ice age upon us before our grandchildren's time sets off alarm bells for me. If we continue to abuse the atmosphere as we do, the polar ice caps will indeed melt....and I dont wanna hear any crap about "oh, well, Arnold made the most of this kind of world by making snow cones all day long in Batman and Robin!!".......

Mash
05-31-2004, 06:17 AM
Global Warming occurred in 800 AD when the Norsemen colonized Greenland. They were forced to leave 50 years later when the climate returned to normal and Greenland was then simply too inhospitable. This is called Climate Variation.

Sorry, folks. Variation is normal, and Variation applies to everything.... even the weather. Try designing something for mass production, and you will learn how much effort is really required to merely 'tame' Variation. Toyota has done the very best job (I did not say a perfect job) of controlling Variation, and it was a monumental task for them.

Global Warming and Global Cooling are examples of Climate Variation. Can another ice age occur? Of course. That is why God invented the L.L.Bean down-filled Baxter State Parka.

N. Abstentia
05-31-2004, 08:39 AM
No use worrying about something you can do absolutely nothing at all about.

05-31-2004, 04:44 PM
movie wasnt all that good...
you know the part where he stumbled into a kitchen and lit the gas stoves on fire??
If it was really THAT cold that it could kill you...then guess what!...the gas lines would have cracked. Dennis Quaid should have been dead.
Lots of other things that didnt make sense...such as the fact that books do not burn well as a whole book. The pages burn well, but the book is thick and dense. Throwing TONS of books on a little fire only puts out the little fire. If they were at all smart they would have torn out the pages before hand and throwing stacks of paper in rather than whole books...Im over-analysing anyhow

2/5 stars

Lexmark3200
05-31-2004, 05:32 PM
movie wasnt all that good...
you know the part where he stumbled into a kitchen and lit the gas stoves on fire??
If it was really THAT cold that it could kill you...then guess what!...the gas lines would have cracked. Dennis Quaid should have been dead.
Lots of other things that didnt make sense...such as the fact that books do not burn well as a whole book. The pages burn well, but the book is thick and dense. Throwing TONS of books on a little fire only puts out the little fire. If they were at all smart they would have torn out the pages before hand and throwing stacks of paper in rather than whole books...Im over-analysing anyhow

2/5 stars

Agreed; a LOT of unrealistic scenarios in the meat of this story....however, as usual, I was smitten by Emerich's desire to shock audiences with over-saturation of F/X. The film was worthy only on an F/X rating basis; still, I cant wait to see what kind of soundtrack this DVD gets when its released. I am hoping for, of course, DTS....as well as with Van Helsing....Im sure this will play back better on a home theater than it did in the cineplexes; not sound-wise, I just mean we may just enjoy it better at home as I seem to have with Independence Day.

Kam
05-31-2004, 08:38 PM
the proto-typical movie, 0 on characters, 10 on special effects. the audience i watched it with laughed during most of the "dialogue" scenes because, well, they were laughable. just always seems that sci-fi movies are all based on science up to a point, but science taught at a school of morons who still believe the earth is flat. sure, it's improbable and you have to have a suspension of belief, i totally understand that, but then play by the freakin' rules you just laid out which this guy never does (ID4, Godzilla (especially 'zilla, one of the worst examples of this ever), etc).

and when you're spending that kinda money on special effects... stick some damn wolves in front of a green screen and matte them in to the scene if you're that scared for your actors. what was with the ridiculous cg wolves?

eh, overall... eh. had some entertaining value as an action-disaster-comedy and i enjoyed it to laugh at (not to laugh with). sure the storm was great, but... anyone with that kinda $$$ can make that storm, make those special effects, etc. it actually takes talent to write a character, tell a story, no amount of money can cover the lack of that.

just my two cents.
peace
k2