Does picture setting has any effect on TV's longevity? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does picture setting has any effect on TV's longevity?

agidol
05-28-2004, 05:44 AM
Hi,
I have a question on whether a particular picture setting has any impact on the life of a TV set.
I currently own a SONY HD ready LCD projection TV (Model: KF42WE610) and I love to view it at "Vivid" mode ( this TV has three level of sharpness: Standard, Pro, and Vivid). In my untrained eyes Vivid looks a lot sharper because it's a lot brighter and has higher contrast than other modes. Now my question is -- if I leave it at this mode, will it shorten the life of TV than say leave it at Standard? Also, is any other picture setting (brightness, hues, colors, etc) has any impact on TV itself over long run? I actually called Sony and asked one of the customer reps this question and she said no...but I'm not sure if she really was a technical expert. FYI, this TV uses a lightbulb (with a life of 4-5 years) to project images. Thanks again for your help guys.

AZHT
05-28-2004, 08:33 PM
From what I have heard, using higher than average settings will shorten the life of the set. Also, you should buy a calibration DVD (Avia, Sound&Vision, Video Essentials) and properly calibrate those settings. It seems to look strange initially but give it a few days for your eyes to adjust to a superior picture. The other guys on here will probably have more info too. Good luck!

mtrycraft
05-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi,
I have a question on whether a particular picture setting has any impact on the life of a TV set.
I currently own a SONY HD ready LCD projection TV (Model: KF42WE610) and I love to view it at "Vivid" mode ( this TV has three level of sharpness: Standard, Pro, and Vivid). In my untrained eyes Vivid looks a lot sharper because it's a lot brighter and has higher contrast than other modes. Now my question is -- if I leave it at this mode, will it shorten the life of TV than say leave it at Standard? Also, is any other picture setting (brightness, hues, colors, etc) has any impact on TV itself over long run? I actually called Sony and asked one of the customer reps this question and she said no...but I'm not sure if she really was a technical expert. FYI, this TV uses a lightbulb (with a life of 4-5 years) to project images. Thanks again for your help guys.

Even if the settings don't make a difference in longevity, you need to calibrate it to what the studio has so you see the same standard picture with best performance out of it.

LCD may be different from tube. But over driving brightness, contrast certainly will shorten life.

Smokey
05-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Although LCD projectors are more immune to "screen" burn in than CRT or plasma displays, but the life expectancy of Backlight bulb in such a displays might be shorten if contrast and/or brightness settings are excessive.

Common sense here dictate to set them at reasonable levels (not the torch mode :D), and the best way to achieve it is to control ambient light (room lighting).