axiom [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : axiom

crabby_patty
05-27-2004, 04:07 PM
I am starting to set up my basement HT system and was torn between bringing my current system (in the family room) down stairs OR building from scratch. After much debate, I have decided to hook the basement up the right way. I plan on dedicating about US $5,000 into the system, which would include projector/ amp/ pre-pro and speakers. I was considering the axiom speakers but wanted to get any feedback from folks in here that have used (or demoed) them. I was thinking of going with an amp along the lines of parasound.

thx

Woochifer
05-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Better rethink your budget. The front projector and Parasound separates alone can cost you more than $5,000 if you're looking at a multichannel system. And if you're going with a full 5.1 surround speaker setup, have you considered any retail brand speakers and how were you planning on acquiring the speakers? All at once, or added on incrementally? All those questions have direct bearing on your budget and how much to allocate to each part. If you want to buy the entire 5.1 setup at the same time, then Parasound separates would probably be outside your price range if you want to get speakers that would benefit from that level of amplification.

Axiom's got quite a few backers on this board, but I would hope that you got other speakers in mind because the last thing you should do is rely on message board recommendations to decide on a purchase as subjective and expensive as a set of speakers.