yamaha speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : yamaha speakers

requiem
05-27-2004, 02:18 PM
what's your general opinion on yamaha speakers?

Wireworm5
05-27-2004, 07:32 PM
All I can say is that I have seen them and they look nice. I would give them a listen, but also check out Klispch,Boston,B&W,Paradigm,Polk,Energy,etc..

Bryan
05-28-2004, 07:04 AM
As a general rule, companies that make good electronics do not make good speakers. Companies that make good speakers do not make good subs. Keep in mind that is a general rule and there are exceptions to it. I wouldn't go with Yamaha speakers or sub. What are you looking to purchase and what is your available budget?

pelly3s
05-28-2004, 05:22 PM
well there is one yamaha speaker i would buy before almost any other speaker in the world, that would be the NS-1000M if you can find a pair anywhere

requiem
05-29-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm trying to set up my first HT system (only receiver and speakers for now). My budget is ~$900 but i live in Mex, so i should say my budget is around $600 and the rest for shipping (sux).
So far i think yamaha receivers are the best in price/features, so I think I'll get a Yamaha RX-V550 receiver wich can be had for $300 (ebay). The rest would be for speakers (6.1 setup).
Also I was considering Yamaha YHT-450 home theater in a box, $500 including speakers and the receiver has a bit better features than RX-V550 (component video input and more power). That's why i'm asking about Yamaha speakers.
I will apreciate your sugestions

NickWH
05-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Yamaha speakers are not that good. Yamaha home-theater-in-a-box speakers are outright garbage. You can definitely assemble something in your price range from the likes of Wharfedale, Paradigm, Polk, NHT, Infinity, Athena, etc.,....

requiem
05-30-2004, 02:08 PM
You're right, i just heard a HT in a box system with Yamaha speakers and they sound like crap.

After that I heard Onkyo hts 760 home theater in a box and it sounded pretty good to me, nice laid back tweeters and good bass. The midrange was a bid harsh tough. What do you think about onkyo speakers? (polks, infinity etc are out of my budged for now, i will upgrade later when i get some more money)

NickWH
05-30-2004, 02:14 PM
Look, most any HTIB consists of garbage speakers. It is usually the companies low-end car audio drivers in plastic or cheap LDF cabinents, with even cheaper crossovers and cabling, etc.

If you cannot afford 5 x $150 speakers, start off with 2 or 3 speakers and add on later when you have the money. Otherwise you are just throwing away your money. You do not have to have all the channels to enjoy movies now. Start off with fronts and a center. Then get the rear channels and a sub sometime down the road.

Like I said, look at the entry level monitors from the companies already mentioned. Two good speakers will sound FAR better than 5 crappy ones. Trust me on this.

RGA
05-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Look, most any HTIB consists of garbage speakers. It is usually the companies low-end car audio drivers in plastic or cheap LDF cabinents, with even cheaper crossovers and cabling, etc.

If you cannot afford 5 x $150 speakers, start off with 2 or 3 speakers and add on later when you have the money. Otherwise you are just throwing away your money. You do not have to have all the channels to enjoy movies now. Start off with fronts and a center. Then get the rear channels and a sub sometime down the road.

Like I said, look at the entry level monitors from the companies already mentioned. Two good speakers will sound FAR better than 5 crappy ones. Trust me on this.

Agreed 2 good speakers beats 5 lousy ones any day. I would rather listen to movies with two $500.00 Speakers than 5 $100.00 ones. And for music there will be no comparison.

requiem
05-30-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanx for your inputs, i'll keep looking. It's really hard to find those speakers in mex.
So far this is what i can get http://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/jm/item?site=MLM&id=5846133 for $500, what do you think?

Bryan
06-01-2004, 07:08 AM
Another thing you should look into is either do it yourself speakers or used speakers. Sometimes you can find a much better bargain than what you otherwise would be able to afford.

superbit
06-08-2004, 01:01 AM
i have them and they are great spk. its in the gallery they also look very nice its 400w,30Hz~35kHz ,92dB/2.83V,1m and its a PMD( polymer injected Mica Diaphragm) w/ monster cable inside. if you like detail sounding spk buy this!!!!!!!!

agidol
06-09-2004, 09:56 AM
I heard nice things from Best Buy guys about Yamaha tower speakers NS777. I couldn't actually hear them cause they were not wired. Has anyone else ever heard of NS 777?