A little dipolar advice? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A little dipolar advice?

Paulay
05-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Long time reader....1st posting.

I just picked up a new Pardyne speaker system: front - Titans, Centre - CC-270, Rear - ADP-170, Sub - PDR-10.

My question is that I loved the speakers so much that I gave little thought to my room setup and how I was going to achieve the proper configuration with the Dipolar surrounds.
I have a 13.5x16.5 room, but the challenge is that I have a large patio door on the right side and cannot mount the surrounds on the side walls as recommended. I also have an opening (doorways) at both the front and back of the room on opposing sides. (back is on the same wall as the patio door) They sound OK, but I am not sure if I am getting the best possible sound for my room situation. Should I return the dipoles and get direct firing for placement to the rear? Any recommendations or examples of success with odd dipolar set up's?

Lemmy
05-28-2004, 05:32 AM
I had a very similar sitution to yours. Picked up the ADP-170's and they fit the room perfect. Then I moved and ran into not being able to put them in the correct position very easily. I tried placing them behind my listening position but after a couple movies I figured out pretty quickly that those ADP's didn't give me nearly as good of effect when placed in the wrong position - almost to the point of distraction. I went and talked with a sales rep at my local audio store and asked his suggestion and he told me the last thing i wanted to do was mount dipoles behind the listening position. Finally found a way to get them in the proper (although not ideal) position, and i am very happy with the sound.

So to answer your question, if you can only mount your rears on the back wall, i would go with direct firing. Hope this info helps and good luck. But if you can get it to work, the ADP's are sweet!

AZHT
05-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Maybe try using speaker stands on the sides. They sell some really tall ones. http://www.soundanchor.com/ Go to the Studio Catalog section.