CRSv9 belated comments: [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CRSv9 belated comments:

newtrix1
05-27-2004, 07:31 AM
I requested a copy of CRSv9 from Jeff after reading all the positive comments posted regarding this comp. I'm only on my 2nd listen, but I figured I'd throw some initial comments up while they're still fresh in my mind. Overall, I'd say this collection is OK, a few songs did catch my interest. The track flow is very well done and the cover art is clever (great job Jeff!).
Back when the majority of reviews were posted, I did read who nominated which tracks, but in general I don't really recall the nominators, so this makes it a bit less stressful to review.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CRSv9 - WHODUNNIT?

Artist - "Track" (Album)

1. Tiny Volcano - "Mary Goes Around" (Tiny Volcano) 4:34
2. Riddle of Steel - "Kissing In Secret" (Python) 5:06
3. American Analog Set - "Come Home Baby Julie, Come Home" (Promise of Love) 5:51
4. Mae - "Tisbury Lane" (previously unreleased) 5:44
5. Wrens - "Hopeless" (The Meadowlands) 5:09
6. Electrelane - "This Deed" (The Power Out) 3:24
7. +/- "Meglomania" (You Are Here) 3:50
8. Spiritualized - "She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)" (Amazing Grace) 3:29
9. Tantric - "The Chain" (After We Go) 4:22
10. Chain - "First Life" (Reconstruct) 4:40
11. RPWL - "Opel" (Stock) 5:13
12. Sun Kil Moon - "Si Paloma" (Ghosts of the Great Highway) 5:32
13. The Handsome Family "24 Hour Store" (Singing Bones) 4:53
14. Damien Rice - "Volcano" (O) 4:38
15. The Twilight Babies - "Orange & the Alabaster" (Middle of Something) 6:34
16. Julian Coryell - "Save Yourself" (Rock Star) 3:39
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhoo, on with the review. I use my typical Y/N & ? system:

1) N my lack of appreciation for power-pop is well documented, this track is no exception
2) Y? Like it, maybe a grower, we'll see.
3) N? Starts out OK, but it never really catches on for me. It slowly builds pace and I think the artist intended to reel the listener in as this one goes along, but it sorta had the opposite effect on me.
4) ? Neither here-nor-there, just a nice tune. Guitar work is the most enjoyable part.
5) ? Nice segue. Another highly praised RR band that just doesn't grab me. I borrowed this album from a buddy but wasn't able to get excited about anything on it. I don't dislike them, just not much pulling back for repeat listens. Maybe I'm just in a musical slump of sorts, as this happens with a lot of new material these days.
6) N Nada
7) Y? Kind cool, yeah, definitely interested in this band.
8) Y * An upbeat rocker! Yes, this is highly needed here. Surely my favorite track thus far.
9) ? Aha! Now I see where all that bashing came from, it's sure an easy song to skewer. I won't go seeking this band out, however, this track does serve to keep the comp from being too pretentious and that's worth something.
10) N Wanders too close to bad hair band material, it's about 4 1/2 minutes too long.
11) Y OK, I'm on the bandwagon with this one. Very nice, is the whole album good?
12) Y * Wow, I'm not generally a fan of instrumental music, but this is a great track. Very "happy" sound without being sappy at all. Excellent Sunday morning cuppa-coffee stuff. My 2nd favorite of the disc.
13) N noop, sorry contributor, but this one surpasses "The Chain" as the comp dud for me. Next...
14) Y Nice melodious duet. Bonus points for the cello.
15) Y Too bad this one's buried at the end of the mix, 'cause I'm running out of words, so I'll just say I like it...a lot.
16) Y? Didn't like this one until I focused on the lyrics, great harsh biting stuff which contrasts the happy-go-lucky song structure.

Sorry for the late review peeps. The artists which garnered the most interest for me were:
The Twilight Babies, RPWL, Sun Kil Moon, Spiritualized.
Possibly maybe: Riddle of Steel and +/-

thanks again Jeff.

Troy
05-27-2004, 07:51 AM
11) Y OK, I'm on the bandwagon with this one. Very nice, is the whole album good?

Yes. It scratches my Pink Floyd itch nicely.

Mike
05-27-2004, 08:08 AM
12) Y * Wow, I'm not generally a fan of instrumental music, but this is a great track. Very "happy" sound without being sappy at all. Excellent Sunday morning cuppa-coffee stuff. My 2nd favorite of the disc.

14) Y Nice melodious duet. Bonus points for the cello.

Hey Rick thanks for the disc you sent the other day - very nice, I've been wondering what to send back so expect Sun Kil Moon and Damien Rice shortly,

Cheers
Mike

newtrix1
05-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Hey Rick thanks for the disc you sent the other day - very nice, I've been wondering what to send back so expect Sun Kil Moon and Damien Rice shortly,

Cheers
Mike

I do have access to the Damien Rice disc, my buddy at work has it, but I will take you up on SKM! Was that your song? I'll have to go back & take a look at the contributors now.

thanks Mike.

JDaniel
05-27-2004, 06:45 PM
I'll have to go back & take a look at the contributors now.

Hey Rick - I'm not supposed to be talkin to you. I'm still pissed about the whole name change trick played on me. But since I'm such a nice guy, here's the guilty parties:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=538 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=17>
1. Tiny Volcano - "Mary Goes Around" (Tiny Volcano) jack70

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=17>
2. Riddle of Steel - "Kissing In Secret" (Python) PPG

3. American Analog Set - "Come Home Baby Julie, Come Home" (Promise of Love) Davey

4. Mae - "Tisbury Lane" (previously unreleased) JD via FP (or is it FP via JD?)

5. Wrens - "Hopeless" (The Meadowlands) Sloshmeister

6. Electrelane - "This Deed" (The Power Out) Stone

7. +/- "Meglomania" (You Are Here) jasn

8. Spiritualized - "She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)" (Amazing Grace) audiobill

9. Tantric - "The Chain" (After We Go) FP

10. Chain - "First Life" (Reconstruct) ForeverAutumn

11. RPWL - "Opel" (Stock) Troy

12. Sun Kil Moon - "Si Paloma" (Ghosts of the Great Highway) tentoze

13. The Handsome Family "24 Hour Store" (Singing Bones) nobody

14. Damien Rice - "Volcano" (O) JD

15. The Twilight Babies - "Orange & the Alabaster" (Middle of Something) Jim Clark

16. Julian Coryell - "Save Yourself" (Rock Star) jack70

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

JD

tentoze
05-27-2004, 07:20 PM
I do have access to the Damien Rice disc, my buddy at work has it, but I will take you up on SKM! Was that your song? I'll have to go back & take a look at the contributors now.

thanks Mike.Rick,

The SKM was mine, and it's here for ya, but our friend across the pond has beat me to the offer. It is a remarkably fine record. All this even tough you DID diss the Handsome Family cut, which is (IMO) an amazing cut from an amazing album...........

:D

newtrix1
05-28-2004, 09:24 AM
Rick,

The SKM was mine, and it's here for ya, but our friend across the pond has beat me to the offer. It is a remarkably fine record. All this even tough you DID diss the Handsome Family cut, which is (IMO) an amazing cut from an amazing album...........

:D

the Handsome Family/Outkast collaboration. ;)

tentoze
05-28-2004, 09:44 AM
the Handsome Family/Outkast collaboration. ;)
O. My. God.

:eek: