Season's Greetings 2003 (comp talk) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Season's Greetings 2003 (comp talk)

Davey.
11-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Well, there haven't been any negative comments yet in my comp talk poll, although it doesn't seem to be a very popular poll so far with only 10 votes. But it is a holiday weekend so that's not too surprising. And since it is the last day of November, I figured it was a good time to put my year end comp into the public record, so.........

<shill>Here it is! The comp you've all been anxiously awaiting! Featuring songs from 17 of my personal favorite albums of this past year, expertly chosen, sequenced and transitioned for your long time listening enjoyment. And as if that wasn't enough to keep your chestnuts warm, I've also fashioned an imaginative cover collage of the album art in full, glorious color. I know, you're probably about to exclaim, "Wow, that looks so good I want two!", but this is an exclusive and limited time offer, so I'm afraid those lucky enough to finagle a copy will be restricted to just that one. So, without further adieu, here it is.......</shill>

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/seasonsgreetings2003.jpg

OK, time to be honest - if you really believe any of the hype above, you're likely to be disappointed :) But it is a pretty solid comp that flows well, for the most part. I had been planning to send some out to the "usual suspects" like I've done before, but decided it might be better (and maybe more fun) to send them instead to people that actually want a copy! Now there's a new concept :) So if you want one, just say with a post or a pm or a email or any combination of the three.

The first block of songs features a lot of Beatles/Beach Boys influence, building slowly toward the cobweb clearing "Remember Me", before dropping back down into a slower, more bluesy and folksy mood for a few tracks, and then it's on to a little more diversity in the second half with some emotional and rhythmic ups and downs, accentuated by the appearance of more electronics and ambience in a few of the songs, before a strong closing block of a couple rockin' pop songs and the Shins great acoustic closer that contains the lyrics for which their latest album was named, Chutes Too Narrow. But keep your pants on cause it's not quite over yet.....a few seconds later the Head of Femur makes an encore appearance, performing a playfully frenzied cover of Brian Eno's "The True Wheel". Then it's over for real....but you'll probably want to hit play and hear it all over again!

-Jar-
11-30-2003, 01:07 PM
(nt)......

Jim Clark
11-30-2003, 02:22 PM
You know I'd love one. Thanks Davey..

jc

tentoze
11-30-2003, 08:28 PM
<shill>Here it is! Then it's over for real....but you'll probably want to hit play and hear it all over again!

Hit me, if ya got a spare.

Mike
12-01-2003, 04:20 AM
looks good from over here, I would really like to hear what the Twilights, Laika, Shins and Beulah have to offer

Cheers
Mike

nobody
12-01-2003, 04:24 AM
I see a few things on there I've been wanting to hear. I'd like one, please.

audiobill
12-01-2003, 04:51 AM
.....please include me on your mailing list.

Btw., I especially love the name of the last band on the disc -- tres cool, or what??

Thanks, in advance,
Bill aka audiobill

Ex Lion Tamer
12-01-2003, 05:23 AM
.....please.

I will be requiring a copy of that comp, so I can finalize my 2003 "to buy" list.

Merci, en avance.

jasn
12-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Look for a RR email from me Davey. Thx
Jasn

JDaniel
12-01-2003, 11:44 AM
I've really enjoyed Slosh's 2003 All Over Again, and this one looks equally intriguing.

I'm working on a couple of comps (in my head more than on the computer) -I'll let you know when they are finished in case you want one in return.

Thanks.

JD

skewiff
12-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Haven't been around for a while, but I'd really like a copy.
Here's hoping.
Tony.

Slosh
12-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Woah, really good comp NP by tentoze. Of course, I expect yours to be equally as worthy (that means I want one! ;) ) I think Rae may be doing one too.

I obviously overlooked a lot of good albums this year. Knew I shoulda snagged that Holopaw album.

chrisnz
12-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Hi Dave, could I trouble you for one of these please? Looks like quite a lengthy list of supplicants. I'll rustle something up in return when I can find anything you don't already have ;-)

Regards, Chris.

Davey.
12-03-2003, 08:59 AM
Gotcha all covered and thanks for the interest. Probably send them out in about a week. I'll be emailing a couple of you for addresses but I have most of them already.

Season's Greetings http://members.mailaka.net/davey/santa_smiley.gif

EDIT: Hey Tony and JD, send me an email with your address when you get time

Whooptee
12-03-2003, 09:24 PM
A little bird told me that that slowpoke from Texas wants a copy of this.

Of course, you already knew that. So, where is it already?

John

dld
12-04-2003, 05:13 AM
How did I let this linger for so long without asking for one :confused: As usual, please burn me up one.