Axiom vs Paradigm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Axiom vs Paradigm

ibhim
05-27-2004, 04:52 AM
As I am in the process of upgrading my 30 y/o set (dead JVC and ok EPI 100, stereo only) just purchsed the Yamaha RSV750. Will run the EPI's in the interim as I look for HT that is solid for both music and movies. That virtually rules out HTiB, but will design around one company.

Loved B&W 602's but Paradigm's equaled/surpassed the sound at a little better value as could do a side-by-side at the same dealer. Then I see positive reviews on Axiom, with the obvious handicap of unable to audition (but a 30 day return option). In-home audition is far preferred to the controlled store anyway (Bose stores being the extreme example - no Bose wasn't on my short list, but I live in the land of outlet malls and couldn't resist walking in their store).

I keep reading the Axioms provide better "value" than premium brand "X". When I looked online, prices didn't seem any better than Paradigm MSRP (figure negotiated discount vs. no shipping/sales tax will offset each other.) On prices, I was comparing vs. Paradigm's Performance line (Atoms, Titans etc). To obtain that "value" is it better to compare Axiom against Paradigm's higher lines? Monitor Series? Studio Series?

Thanks in advance.

N. Abstentia
05-27-2004, 08:55 AM
No, Axiom would compare more to Paradigms Performance line such as the Atom/Titan/Phantom. You can put the Monitor series against B&W 600's, and the Studio Series with B&W CDM and above series.

kexodusc
05-27-2004, 10:47 AM
I replaced my Titans with M3Ti's I got from a friend's store in New Brunswick, Canada that somehow ended up selling a few pairs of these. In hindsight, this was a mistake for me.

Side by side, I find the Axiom's a tad brighter, but there's some serious mid-range and bass interplay issues that I just can't get use to. Vocals don't sound right. Compared to the old Mini Monitors I had, (comparable in price) they didn't create enough soundstage or detail.

That being said, they are a georgeous looking speaker, and they don't sound bad for a speaker in that price range. I do listen to them at dinner time and sunday mornings while I cook breakfast or read the paper.
Maybe this speaker just rubbed me the wrong way...they aren't bad at all for an entry level speaker, and sound better than some more expensive ones I've heard, but all that talk on their website about how they embarass speakers 2 or 3 times the price and the "direct-from-factory" cost savings/value line they throw at you is just hype. I'd rate them as very average. Not bad, but not great at anything.
They are a bit more expensive than the Titan, a bit less than a Mini-Monitor and are certainly not any better than either in my opinion.

I should have gone with Energy's Connoisseur line...something you might consider.

ibhim
05-30-2004, 10:10 AM
I posted a similar request on the axiom board, and the contrast is amazing. On that board, they tend to compare vs the Studio Series - with the edge going to Axiom. However on this board vs Performance Series with the edge going to Paradigm.

Of course this board may be more neutral. On the Axiom board, it is more like going to a Pepsi board (if there is such a thing) and questioning Pepsi vs Coke.

I guess the only fair way would be to order them, try for month and see if can arrange an inhouse eval, or at worse a same soundtrack comparison of the Paradigms. In the meantime will track Ebay to see what the EPI 100's are going for to eventually sell mine.

kexodusc
05-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Whoah...is the Axiom board really comparing the Mx ti's and Studio's?
I've never listened to any other Axiom models, but M3ti's aren't even close. That's kind of funny.