Connecting computer to receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting computer to receiver

rob_p_dore
11-30-2003, 06:14 AM
I am looking for a way to connect my pc to our receiver. The receiver is a Sony STR-DE945. My pc has a 1/8 inch female connector that I plug my pc speakers into. I have the rhapsody music service and have alot of MP3's on my hard drive that I want to play on my stereo system. I have searched google and the web to no avail. Surely, I cannot be the only person that wants to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

karl k
11-30-2003, 09:06 AM
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F003%5F009&product%5Fid=42%2D2483

You'll use of of these and connect to the Tape in/Aux in on your receiver. Set the computers volume low at first, then set the receivers volume where you normally have it, and gradually increase computers volume so you have the same loudness between the different sources on the receiver at the same setting on the receivers master volume control. Make sense? Forgive me, I just woke up.

turbodog
12-15-2003, 09:56 AM
I just went thru this, having downloaded signal generator and spectrum analyzer software onto my laptop.... too cool! My main purpose was to measure the gain of my 2 power amps to determine how much attenuation to put in to balance them in a bi-amp setup. But, of course I played around with it, too (much to my dog's dismay!)

I just used mini stereo-to-dual RCA cables, available almost anywhere.

Plugged into my AUX input. Started with the laptop volume turned waaaay down. Set the sig-gen for -50dB, and started bumping up the signal 'till I got to 0db. Still really quiet. So, lowered the sig-gen by 6dB and bumped the laptop volume up, little-by-little.

I ended up with the laptop volume all the way up. With the sig-gen at -6db, I measured 0.5VRMS (@ 1000Hz) at the input to the receiver, using a Fluke handheld DMM.

Plugged the preamp output into the audio input port of the laptop. According to the spectrum analyzer, I had un-measurable harmonic distortion with that setup.

Now, your computer sound card is NOT a laboratory-grade item... but, given the cost of the software (free!), it's worthwhile to use it to optimize your setup as much as possible.

the link to the software is here:
http://www.dazyweblabs.com/shannonsoft/page3.html