Need advice SPK/AMP Ohms [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice SPK/AMP Ohms

nadir
05-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Hello everyone
Just got a pair of Polk audio LSi7 ( 4Ohms) at a very good price. I realize that Ohms compatibility might be an issue. Any suggestion on an amp that would be compatible. Looked at Nad, Rotel ... Or am I wrong an can drive them at 8Ohms. Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Kursun
05-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone
Just got a pair of Polk audio LSi7 ( 4Ohms) at a very good price. I realize that Ohms compatibility might be an issue. Any suggestion on an amp that would be compatible. Looked at Nad, Rotel ... Or am I wrong an can drive them at 8Ohms. Any comment would be greatly appreciated.There is no such thing as running 4 Ohm speakers at 8 ohms. The speakers either have a "lowish" impedance (4 Ohms) or "highish" impedance (8 Ohms). And that's the way the amplifier will see the load (speakers).

Actually almost any amplifier will drive a low (4 Ohms) impedance speaker. But not all are equal of course. A low impedance speaker requires the amplifier to produce more current for any given power level. This requires a heavier built amplifier. A cheap amplifier will overheat and its protection circuits may activate and shut the amplifier down especially at high power levels. But I don't think you will have any difficulty finding a reasonably priced amplifier that will handle your speakers well.

nadir
05-29-2004, 06:25 AM
thanks for your reply

stevos2005
05-29-2004, 10:56 AM
NAD and Rotel both make very decent amplifiers. I've heard that amplifiers are their strongest points. Anyway, I'm not familiar with the Polk LSi series. What price range were you looking for. If just a stereo amp, I'd recommend either the NAD C372 or the Rotel RB-1070. The Rotel is a little warmer sounding than the NAD. Hope that helps.