I have been enlightened!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I have been enlightened!!!

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2004, 06:02 AM
This Nektar stuff is most excellent!

I've been listening to a few Nektar disks borrowed from BarryL. Surprisingly, I even know a couple of the tracks....just never knew who's songs they were. I can't believe that I didn't know about this band sooner.

We'll definately be hitting that Sept. 21 show in Toronto. Now that I've discovered the music, I'm very excited about this show.

Now I just have to get my hands on some Caravan.....

Dave_G
05-26-2004, 07:44 AM
Cool.

Caravan is very foo-foo. I actually wish they were not touring with Nektar so that you would get more Nektar music.

Dave

DarrenH
05-26-2004, 08:50 AM
I've been really enjoying A Tab In The Ocean lately. The remaster is excellent and includes the original 1972 German mix as well as the 1976 US mix.

I bought Down To Earth last year but wasn't very impressed by it. That release has a certain love it or hate it relationship with Nektar's fan base. I'll have to revisit that one again and see if my opinion of it has changed.

Prodigal Son was decent. Not nearly as good as the early stuff though.

And of course, Remember The Future is a classic. I love that album. I hope they play some of that in concert should you decide to attend.

I've haven't heard Journey To The Center Of The Eye or Recycled yet. Those two are on my want list. Journey........Eye has just been remastered and released as an SACD hybrid. Recycled was remastered as well but not on SACD.

Anywho, congrats on discovering Nektar. They are pretty good in my book.

Darren

EDIT: Just wanted to say that if you're interested in Caravan the place to start would be "In The Land of Grey and Pink" although I really enjoy "For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night" as well. I have a couple of their albums on my want list also. I should also mention that the music of Caravan has sort of whimsical feel to it. Like watching a Monty Python episode. You either like it or hate it. I happen to like that Canterbury sound as it's called but ymmv. I sent DaveG some Caravan recently. He already stated that he didn't like it so maybe he could forward it to you, to see if this something you may like.

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2004, 09:48 AM
It's A Tab In The Ocean and Recycled that I have listened to so far. Both are excellent on first spin. Remember The Future and Prodigal Son are the other two that I have on hand. I'll be giving them a spin shortly.

I'm sure that Barry has some Caravan that I can borrow. But thanks for offering up Dave's disks. ;)

DarrenH
05-26-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm sure that Barry has some Caravan that I can borrow. But thanks for offering up Dave's disks. ;)

:D

You're welcome. :p

Dave_G
05-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Okie dokie ya'll,

1) Glad to see you posting again Darren, you have been absent for several weeks.

2) I have had Caravan music in my collection since 1974.

3) I never said I didn't like them.

4) I said they were foo-foo.

5) And they kinda are, at least to me.

6) And I do have spare copies of 2 Caravan cd's I can let.

7) Caravan are almost TOO "English" sounding, and their stuff also sounds real dated. Again, to me.

8) They are kind of "prog lite".

9) But they have a cool album title "Cunning Stunts". Uh huh I like THAT.

10) However, live, in person, they might be way excellent.

Regards,

Dave

Troy
05-26-2004, 11:36 AM
I need to hear some Nektar. I had an LP someplace, it never caught on with me.

I had Caravan's "Girls that go Plump" for a while. Eneded up selling it off. All that stuff DaveG said sums them up for me pretty well. Dated, foo foo and wimpy.

unleasHell
05-26-2004, 12:07 PM
I always liked Tab in the Ocean followed by Journey to the Center...

Gotta agree with Dave about Caravan being more folk/Canterbury than proggy.

There are a few CD's that remind me of that long nektar prog stuff, one is Can: Future Days and Pink Floyd: Meddle.

BarryL
05-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Journey to The Center of the Eye isn't much of an album in my opinion. You can skip this one. But Recycled is a must-have. I wore our that album when it first came out around 1975 or 1976. Larry Fast does a lot of the keyboards.

BarryL
05-28-2004, 11:44 AM
I need to hear some Nektar. I had an LP someplace, it never caught on with me.

I had Caravan's "Girls that go Plump" for a while. Eneded up selling it off. All that stuff DaveG said sums them up for me pretty well. Dated, foo foo and wimpy.

Leave it to me. I'll put something together for you.

Troy
05-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Leave it to me. I'll put something together for you.

You're a god among men.

BarryL
05-28-2004, 05:52 PM
You're a god among men.

I was fine until I had a macaroon at Max's. Then I felt a little strange. Must've been the ambrosia.