Connecting computer to receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting computer to receiver

rob_p_dore
11-30-2003, 05:07 AM
I am looking for a way to connect my pc to our receiver. The receiver is a Sony STR-DE945. My pc has a 1/8 inch female connector that I plug my pc speakers into. I have the rhapsody music service and have alot of MP3's on my hard drive that I want to play on my stereo system. I have searched google and the web to no avail. Surely, I cannot be the only person that wants to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

woodman
11-30-2003, 09:23 AM
I am looking for a way to connect my pc to our receiver. The receiver is a Sony STR-DE945. My pc has a 1/8 inch female connector that I plug my pc speakers into. I have the rhapsody music service and have alot of MP3's on my hard drive that I want to play on my stereo system. I have searched google and the web to no avail. Surely, I cannot be the only person that wants to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Take another look at the connections on the sound card and see if there are TWO 1/8" output jacks - one marked "Speakers" and another marked "Line Out". If there are two outputs, use the Line Out to connect to your receiver (any available input other than "Phono"). If there's only one output jack, you have four choices:
a: connect the output to the receiver instead of to your PC speakers, or,
b: get a "Y-adaptor" to connect BOTH the PC speakers and the receiver to the one output, or
c: use a component switch to select either the receiver or the PC speakers - this will involve several adaptors in addition to the switch - a rather costly and awkward solution, or
d: replace your sound card with one that has more in/out jacks - I have one that I'll sell you cheap.

Hope this will help you

DaveHK
11-30-2003, 05:06 PM
While using a 1/8" to stereo RCA cable is just fine, if your computer and stereo are in the same room. If not, check a wireless FM transmitter, like the iRock or something similar. many times these are sold to use in a car, although there is no reason you can't use them in the home. The biggest drawback is that they usually require batteries, but there might be one available that doesn't require this. good luck