Question re: Mitsubishi HDTVs for Woodman [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Mitsubishi HDTVs for Woodman

Widowmaker
05-25-2004, 12:22 PM
I was hoping that I could get a bet settled. A friend claimed that since a Mitsu rear projection HDTV's native HD resolution is 1080i, when fed a 720p signal (from ABC, ESPN, et. al.), the Mitsu could not display it and the screen would be blank.

I said that Mitsubishi, like most rear projection HDTV makers, designed theirs to convert 720p to 1080i. I told him just imagine if they didn't do this and some guy brought one of their TVs home to watch SportsCenter in HD just to get a blank screen, could you imagine how ticked off he would be? Could you imagine how many returned products Mitsubishi would have to deal with?

Anyways, he still doesn't believe me and while we're waiting for a reply email from Mitsubishi, I'd appreciate any clarification that could be provided.

woodman
05-25-2004, 01:04 PM
I was hoping that I could get a bet settled. A friend claimed that since a Mitsu rear projection HDTV's native HD resolution is 1080i, when fed a 720p signal (from ABC, ESPN, et. al.), the Mitsu could not display it and the screen would be blank.

I said that Mitsubishi, like most rear projection HDTV makers, designed theirs to convert 720p to 1080i. I told him just imagine if they didn't do this and some guy brought one of their TVs home to watch SportsCenter in HD just to get a blank screen, could you imagine how ticked off he would be? Could you imagine how many returned products Mitsubishi would have to deal with?

Anyways, he still doesn't believe me and while we're waiting for a reply email from Mitsubishi, I'd appreciate any clarification that could be provided.

What makes your "friend" think that he knows anything at all about television? He's evidently been doing some very heavy hallucinogenic drugs to come up with such a brainless idea as this! He is so far off base, he should run for President ... he's every bit as qualified as the baboon that we have now!

You are oh so right ... every HDTV set on the market today (and yesterday as well) must be able to display ANY of the 18 formats contained within the ATSC format for digital television. That's all there is to it ... end of conversation.

I doubt that my saying so will convince him however, so you'll just have to wait for the "official" response from Mitsu on this. But when it comes, it will verify and reinforce what I've just said on the matter.

Widowmaker
05-27-2004, 10:41 AM
What makes your "friend" think that he knows anything at all about television? He's evidently been doing some very heavy hallucinogenic drugs to come up with such a brainless idea as this! He is so far off base, he should run for President ... he's every bit as qualified as the baboon that we have now!

You are oh so right ... every HDTV set on the market today (and yesterday as well) must be able to display ANY of the 18 formats contained within the ATSC format for digital television. That's all there is to it ... end of conversation.

I doubt that my saying so will convince him however, so you'll just have to wait for the "official" response from Mitsu on this. But when it comes, it will verify and reinforce what I've just said on the matter.

Sorry this took so long but thanks for the reply. Looks like my clueless friend owes me a lunch.

woodman
05-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Sorry this took so long but thanks for the reply. Looks like my clueless friend owes me a lunch.

I trust that he now knows the error of his ways, and will be dining on some "crow" while he feeds you with something much more palatable for lunch.

So, did he believe what I told you? Or, did it take the "official" response from Mitsubishi to convince him?

Widowmaker
05-28-2004, 06:26 AM
I trust that he now knows the error of his ways, and will be dining on some "crow" while he feeds you with something much more palatable for lunch.

So, did he believe what I told you? Or, did it take the "official" response from Mitsubishi to convince him?

Well, I told him that I posted our wager on this board but he gave the "don't believe everything that's on the Internet" answer and we're still waiting on Mitsubishi's reply email (which was sent a week ago). Oh well, looks like I'll have to wait a bit for my lunch. Thanks again.

recoveryone
05-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Well, I told him that I posted our wager on this board but he gave the "don't believe everything that's on the Internet" answer and we're still waiting on Mitsubishi's reply email (which was sent a week ago). Oh well, looks like I'll have to wait a bit for my lunch. Thanks again.
I own a Mits 55805WS 2001 model, and I do get a picture in HD from ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS. And the PBS is the best picture true 1080i. the ABC is 720 and CBS and NBC is suppose to be 1080i. the ABC shows come in full 5.1 sound while the others come in stereo surround. I get my HD from Adelphi Cable with Motorla HD BOX unknw model all the sound is routed via toslink to my receiver.

Widowmaker
05-30-2004, 04:06 PM
I own a Mits 55805WS 2001 model, and I do get a picture in HD from ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS. And the PBS is the best picture true 1080i. the ABC is 720 and CBS and NBC is suppose to be 1080i. the ABC shows come in full 5.1 sound while the others come in stereo surround. I get my HD from Adelphi Cable with Motorla HD BOX unknw model all the sound is routed via toslink to my receiver.

Thanks for the reply. It feels good being right so I feel good all the time, hee, hee.