New releases? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New releases?

Dusty Chalk
05-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Okay, there hasn't been any talk about up'n'coming new releases that people are looking forward to (alright, maybe a little, but not a whole thread), so...what up'n'coming new releases are you excited about? Here's a coupla mine:

For the proggers - Ayreon, Human Equation -- a friend of mine already heard this, and he called it "metal opera". When I asked him, how was it, he said it was, "...different". (Keep in mind that he hasn't heard the first one.) Also comes in a special edition with a DVD...

For the rivetheads - Skinny Puppy! I have no money right now (never do at the end of the month), but as soon as I do, I'm going out and getting this...in fact, I'm going to clean the couch right now, because I think I have enough change...

For the hard rockers -- Monster Magnet. Comes in a special edition as well...these guys are one of those blank check bands for me, for some reason, I just really like the evil that seems to come out over the speakers...

For the fans of all things Mr. Bungle-related -- Secret Chiefs 3, Book of Horizons, the fourth album from the drummer(?)'s side project of electronica -- I liked the first three, so I'll get this eventually, as well.

Tori! Why didn't anyone tell me that Tori released a live DVD/album last week?!? And that was from the tour I missed...

Bowie fans -- Chris Connelly is a nice alternative crooner type that you might like. I haven't heard his new album, Night of Your Life, but if it's anything like the last couple (Private Education, Ultimate Seaside Companion (Revisited), etc.), it oughta be great. Plus, AMG gave it 4 1/2 stars (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=Apk867ub030jd).

Toady
05-25-2004, 12:45 PM
the 6 parts 7 - sometime this spring??

the album leaf - i'm getting an advance on monday :D

converge - i can't wait to hear what they do next

pinback - the new songs they played live recently were show highlights. very excited for this.

newtrix1
05-25-2004, 02:14 PM
I liked most of the music from the make-up bands, so this collaboration has potentiel for me. I'm sure we'll be hearing a cut or two shoved down our throats on the top 40 stations.
Audioslave's debut is still holding up somewhat for me, so maybe the new "Velvets" will follow suit.

Davey
05-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Okay, there hasn't been any talk about up'n'coming new releases that people are looking forward to (alright, maybe a little, but not a whole thread), so...what up'n'coming new releases are you excited about? Here's a coupla mine:

For the proggers - yada yada yada....
For the rivetheads - yada yada yada....
For the hard rockers - yada yada yada....
For the fans of all things Mr. Bung-related - yada yada yada....
Tori! - yada yada yada....
Bowie fans - yada yada yada....
Hmmmm, none of those sound very exciting to me http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

But then again, not sure how excited I am about some of mine either. Not too much I know about, I guess. I've heard some of the new PJ album and it wasn't exactly the sound I was hoping for, but I'll probably still pick it up. The new Wilco sounds incredible based on the 3 songs I've heard. And Toady swears the new Album Leaf is gonna be the greatest. Probably what I'm most anxious to hear is how the new Libertines album turns out. But that long delayed Court and Spark CD is one that may surprise a lot of people.

PJ Harvey - Uh Hu Her (June 8)
The Album Leaf - In a Safe Place (June 22)
Wilco - A Ghost Is Born (June 22)
Bark Psychosis - Codename: Dustsucker (Jul 5)
The Court and Spark - Witch Season (Aug 17)
Bjork
Built To Spill
...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead
Circulatory System
The Libertines
Spoon
Mark Lanegan

Dusty Chalk
05-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Well, this coming from a man who get's excited by Beck's going on sale...I guess we all have our priorities...mine just happens to be music...

Oh, yeah! Bjork! Bark Psychosis!

Rock on.

Toady
05-25-2004, 05:53 PM
...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead

forgot about that.

Davey
05-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Well, this coming from a man who get's excited by Beck's going on sale...
Wow, Beck's got a new one out too? What's it called? Where's it on sale? I'm kinda tired of him, though.

I guess we all have our priorities...mine just happens to be music...
Well, some might argue with you whether all those names you listed are synonymous with music....not me of course ;)

Oh, yeah! Bjork! Bark Psychosis! Rock on.
Now you're starting to make some sense.

Slosh
05-25-2004, 11:18 PM
and don't forget Clinic and Travis Morrison

BarryL
05-26-2004, 08:13 AM
I don't know what the big delay on this is. I suspect, given that it's coming out on Arista, that the boys havn't produced something commercial enough, and they were sent back into the studio, but I don't know. I read a review in Mojo, but then again, critics have been known to do movie reviews without having seen the movie, so maybe they haven't actually hear the album.

Also, a new Rush album in the Summer, consisting, I heard, of 9 cover versions of songs that the boys like, including one from Buffalo Springfield. Unless they Rush-ize the songs significantly, it sounds like a loser.

-Jar-
05-26-2004, 09:42 AM
I liked most of the music from the make-up bands, so this collaboration has potentiel for me. I'm sure we'll be hearing a cut or two shoved down our throats on the top 40 stations.
Audioslave's debut is still holding up somewhat for me, so maybe the new "Velvets" will follow suit.

I saw them on Letterman last night. I really tried to follow and pay attention to the song vs. how they looked.. (old).. but while the song wasn't bad, it didn't jump out at me like I had hoped it would. Not even as catchy as some of STP's better songs. I know it's difficult to judge from a late nite tv appearance, but I was hoping to hear a little better. The tune (I don't know which song it was, I assume whatever the first "single" is) was "kind of bland" hehe. Hopefully, the rest of the album will rock better.

-jar

-Jar-
05-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Wilco - A Ghost Is Born (June 22)
Bark Psychosis - Codename: Dustsucker (Jul 5)

Wilco .. Yea! "Hand-shake Drugs" (thanks to Slosh) is probably one of the best Wilco songs yet. Hopefully it will be all over the place and make Reprise look like even bigger fools.

Bark Psychosis - Yea! I'm setting aside money for it right now baby.

-jar

Stone
05-26-2004, 10:15 AM
and don't forget . . . Travis Morrison

I have a feeling this is really going to blow.

Dave_G
05-26-2004, 12:21 PM
All I really want these days is the new IQ.

I want it I want it I want it badly.

It only has 5 songs on it.

I love IQ and prog nonsense like that.

Peace, Love, party on dudes.

Dave

Stone
06-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Wow, this looks like quite the month for new releases:

Tuesday 1 June 2004

Animal Collective - Sung Tongs

Auf Der Maur - Auf Der Maur [U.S. release]

Tuesday 8 June 2004

!!! - Louden Up Now

Cowboy Junkies - One Soul Now

Jay Farrar - Stone Steel & Bright Lights

PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her [US] [UK: 31 May]

Nina Nastasia - Dogs

Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse

Tuesday 15 June 2004

Dave Alvin - Ashgrove

Beastie Boys - To the 5 Boroughs

Fu<a>cking Am [The Fu</a>cking Champs + Trans Am] - Gold

Tuesday 22 June 2004

The Album Leaf - In A Safe Place

Wilco - A Ghost Is Born

Tuesday 29 June 2004

The Cure - The Cure

I Am The World Trade Center - The Cover Up

The Tragically Hip - In Between Evolution

dld
06-07-2004, 12:37 PM
I second the anticipation of Cowboy's Junkies new CD.

Davey
06-07-2004, 01:02 PM

Tuesday 1 June 2004

Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
Hey, I'm listening to that one right at this very moment. Pretty odd. But also pretty likeable. That Nina Nastasia is just a reissue of her first album by her current label, Touch and Go. Do you have any Mirah? I was listening some to her new one that just came out last month when I picked up the Animal Collective and it sounded pretty good. I guess the Microphones guy Phil Elvrum was at the controls on this one. I almost bought it, but decided it could wait, and I also wanted to hear what others said on whether it was the best place to start.

Stone
06-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Do you have any Mirah? I was listening some to her new one that just came out last month when I picked up the Animal Collective and it sounded pretty good. I guess the Microphones guy Phil Elvrum was at the controls on this one. I almost bought it, but decided it could wait, and I also wanted to hear what others said on whether it was the best place to start.

No, I don't have any of her stuff. Plus, I tend to get her mixed up with Mira, Marah, Mara, and Mariah.

tentoze
06-07-2004, 03:33 PM

Tuesday 8 June 2004

Jay Farrar - Stone Steel & Bright Lights

Tuesday 22 June 2004

Wilco - A Ghost Is Born

I'll have to be on point for the Farrar release. Just got his Live In Seattle last week, and it's pretty good stuff.

As for Wilco, is this most recent release date another one of those like Bill Gates' release dates for a new version of windoze, with the phrase "or later" meant to be understood?????

;)

Ex Lion Tamer
06-08-2004, 04:26 AM
As for Wilco, is this most recent release date another one of those like Bill Gates' release dates for a new version of windoze, with the phrase "or later" meant to be understood?????

;)

The Absolute Sound already reviewed the new Wilco in their latest issue, and quite a glowing review it is, so I imagine that release date is real.

Mark