Am I the only one consumed with pop-up troubles? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one consumed with pop-up troubles?

jasn
05-25-2004, 05:44 AM
I'm not talking about the piddly little stuff on a news site hawking a local university or something like the good old easy days. I'm talking about a full onslaught of web hijackers constantly taking over my browser and dumping regenerating adware that comes back after purging it with the latest spyware. I'm spending hours on cleaniong them out and trying to figure out what the latest fix is.

This has got to stop! It's like a violating terrorist attack. I'd like to figure out some way of compiling all the a**hole clients who sign on to these malware punks and boycott the whole stinking lot of them! [/rantoff]

Carry on...

Troy
05-25-2004, 06:44 AM
Not me.

Doesn't happen with a Mac.

newtrix1
05-25-2004, 08:28 AM
I think my "Wtoolsa" post from yesterday may share your problems (and sentiments). I sure hope the root cause isn't something related to this site!

jasn
05-25-2004, 08:42 AM
I understand this site uses pop-ups, but my Google Toolbar has done a fine job keeping those smothered for some time.

My episode of today seems to be cleared up using "HighjackThis" and SpySweeper, at least for now.

N. Abstentia
05-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Not me.

Doesn't happen with a Mac.

Lots of stuff don't happen when you have a Mac :D

Slosh
05-25-2004, 02:22 PM
As mentioned already download the Google toolbar. I've never had a pop-up get through at this site, and very, very seldom does one get through anywhere else either.

But the main cause of all these pop-up is coming from ad/spyware and some of these programs like Clear Search and Evula take forever to manually delete from the registry. While you're at Google do a search for free Ad Aware. You'll have to get it from a third-party site but it works very well and prevents new ad/spyware from getting on your system as long as you keep current with the updates. You'll be amazed how much crap is on your hard drive the first time you run a scan.

NP: Jar's excellent Punisher comp (RAWK!!! :D )

Troy
05-25-2004, 02:29 PM
Lots of stuff don't happen when you have a Mac :D

What can you do on your PC that I can't do on my Mac that I give a rats ass about?

chrisnz
05-25-2004, 05:05 PM
Well there's heaps of cool music software that's PC only... How's that Garageband going?

If you go here :-

http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

you'll see that these guys run a tune competition every month. You could win yourself some software.

Tunes got to be under 2 mins, specific for the competition and completed in 3.5 weeks. Which pretty much rules me out because I'm glacially slow. I did manage to finish something this month because it was a free for all which meant I could just carry on with the previous months effort. Check it out on page 3 of the Rules and Submissions thread under the moniker codacoda. I rool dude ;-)

Chris.

Dusty Chalk
05-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Am I the only one consumed with pop-up troubles?The consumer has become the consumed.

...or you could mean, 'consumated'...but I kind of doubt that...

NP: Lake Trout

N. Abstentia
05-25-2004, 05:26 PM
What can you do on your PC that I can't do on my Mac that I give a rats ass about?

I can build 5 just like it for the price of one Mac.