It's Tuesday...wots in yer rotation? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It's Tuesday...wots in yer rotation?

mad rhetorik
05-25-2004, 05:01 AM
I've been listening to:

David Bowie: <b>Low</b>
Bob Dylan: <b>Blonde On Blonde</b> and <b>Highway 61 Revisited</b>
Neil Young: <b>On The Beach</b>
Pixies: <b>Bossanova</b>
Soundgarden: <b>Badmotorfinger</b>
Talk Talk: <b>Laughing Stock</b>

Still eagerly awaiting the arrival of comps from Nobody and Jar.

Dave_G
05-25-2004, 05:11 AM
Marillion - Seasons End

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

Jethro Tull - Stormwatch

Split Enz - Anniversary

Ultravox - ULTRAVOX!

Bunny Wailer - Dance Masive (rare, I got it on ebay for $4.29 total)(!)

Gene Loves Jezebel - Heavenly Bodies

Plus watched the latest Ozzy dvd, live in Japan, it's real good, that band he had for that gig was hot as hell man, they kicked ass.

I think 2 new Kansas remasters come out today, I hope so, whoo hoo hoo screech hoot holler yeth come on baby. (Kansas and Song for America)

Dave

Mike
05-25-2004, 06:09 AM
My listens this week are

Lali Puna – Faking the Books, just got this from Davey boy (thanks Dave) and it’s a keeper a perfect blend of The Notwist and Air.

Death Cab for Cutie – Translaticism, can’t understand why this didn’t get more interest at the time, it’s a solid album albeit pretty downbeat.

CRSV9 – Again courtesy of Davey and I think the best group effort by a long way.

Ash – Meltdown, been playing this one a lot this last week, loads of catchy riffs and hooks, their best yet IMO.

Gomez – Split The Difference, it’s a lot different from the last one much more psychedelic but good all the same.

Damien Rice – O, still keep going back to this one.

NERD – Fly Or Die, Curtis Mayfield meets Lenny Kravitz with the Neptunes at the helm, bought it on a whim and still enjoying it.

Wheat – Per Second…A bit late on the boat for this one but better late than never, what a fantastic collection of upbeat playful songs.

And some oldies…

Helen Watson – Blue Slipper, she was (is) an English folk singer and the album came out in the early 80’s I think and still sounds so good. Typical soft rock of the time but produced by Glyn Johns and a band lineup including Albert Lee, Bernie Leadon, Bill Payne and Richie Hayward, it’s always been one of my favourites, great to hear it again.

Guns ‘N Roses – Greatest Hits, I was never a fan at the time but for me this is a good collection and really well re-mastered.

Bummer - just found out The Killers are playing at my local small club venue this weekend and it's sold out.

Cheers
Mike

nobody
05-25-2004, 07:30 AM
Quick list here...

I listened to all the stuff on the Shopping thread, plus some other stuff...

The Time: What Time Is It? (great EP, best thing they released to me)
Glen Miller: Concert at Carnigie Hall (top notch big band record collection, featuring many big names)
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (everything this guy did for a while there was gold)
Squeeze - 45s and Under (one of the best hits albums of all time to me)
Mozart's Requiem (Don't know what version, but I know I've heard 2 others that did little for me)
Jet: Get Born (I don't care how dirivitive people say it is, a bunch of the songs rock)
Geza X - God<a>damn Punks! (if you heard and liked Isotope Soap, there's more where that came from)
Judas Priest - British Steel (Breakin the Law!)
ISAN - Lucky Cat (one of my favorite electronic records to relax and just get really mellow with)
Lost Highway Soundtrack (great spooky jazzy instrumentals as well as a great Smashing Pumpkins song and some other stuff)
Crow Soundtrack (forgot how much fun on this one)
Bauhaus - In the Flat Field (great debut LP)
Odetta: Sings the Blues (I like this better than her folkie stuff)

-Jar-
05-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Geza X - God<a>damn Punks! (if you heard and liked Isotope Soap, there's more where that came from)

I have this. What a weird album. Sort of like, an alternate universe where Weird Al does punk songs. Except they're all originals. About Hungarians and Aliens and such. I bought this sucker years and years ago. I guess Geza X works as a producer these days.

Judas Priest - British Steel (Breakin the Law!)

of course. Love "Grinder" and "The Rage" lots of classic riffs on this album.

Bauhaus - In the Flat Field (great debut LP)

I found this on cd way way back in the used bin.. sometime around 1990 or so.. except it was just the cd and no cover art. Still, the cd has lots of great bone-us tracks like their cover of "Telegram Sam" Who needed the cover art when the music was so great?

-jar

tentoze
05-25-2004, 08:07 AM
@ new-to-me things:

Vetiver, S/T- very good noo-folk, with D. Banhart harmonizing on vocals and playing great acoustic geetar.

Elliot Murphy & Iain Matthews, La Terre Commune- excellent folk-rock with a few covers, and a few originals from each.

Lots of new old vinyl on Sunday- pick of the litter- Stevie Wonder's Hotter Than July. I REALLY LIKE THIS RECORD.

newtrix1
05-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Yes: Tormato
Shaggy: Boombastic
Gomez: Split the Difference, In Our Gun
Roland Orzabal - Tomcats Screaming Outside
Fatboy Slim: You've Come a Long Way, Baby
The Wrens: The Meadowlands
Kanye West: The College Dropout (thanks Bill, so far my favorites are "Jesus Walks" & "Get 'Em High")

comps:
Mentalflake: Troy
The Sound of Dreams - MAF

DarrenH
05-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Gentle Giant - In A Glass House
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Camel - Mirage
Camel - The Snowgoose
Triumvirat - Illusions On A Double Dimple
Triumvirat - Spartacus
Caravan - In The Land of Grey and Pink
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night
Caravan - Cunning Stunts
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Barclay James Harvest - Baby James Harvest
Barclay James Harvest - Once Again
Strawbs - Ghosts
Strawbs - Hero and Heroine
Strawbs - Grave New World
Eloy - Power and Passion
Eloy - Floating
Eloy - Inside
Nektar - A Tab In The Ocean
Nektar - Remember The Future
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
King Crimson - Red
Moody Blues - Too Our Childrens Childrens Children
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - s/t
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin
Museo Rosenbrach - Zarathustra
Biglietto per L'Inferno - s/t
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia di un Minuto
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per un Amico
Le Orme - Felona e Serona

The weather was crappy and cool and it rained all weekend so I spent the better part of Friday evening and most of Saturday listening to these gems. Some others that found their way into the player:

Charlie Parker - The Complete Verve Master Takes....disc 1 and 2.
Miles Davis - B!tches Brew
Miles Davis - Aura
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz At Oberlin
Vince Guaraldi Trio - Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Deliverance
Opeth - Damnation

Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around
Johnny Cash - American II: Unchained

Darren

Stone
05-25-2004, 09:10 AM
Here's what I remember:

The Jesus and Mary Chain - The Complete Peel Sessions

The New Year - The End Is Near

Mclusky - The Difference . . .

Celibate Rifles - Sideroxylon

Stiff Little Fingers - Gotta Gettaway EP

Glenn Branca - Lesson No. 1

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars!

Mission of Burma - OnoffOn

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Davey
05-25-2004, 11:06 AM
My week in pictorial review....is it kind of obvious that someone around here has too much free time on his hands lately?

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/playlist.jpg

nobody
05-25-2004, 11:47 AM

I have this. What a weird album. Sort of like, an alternate universe where Weird Al does punk songs. Except they're all originals. About Hungarians and Aliens and such. I bought this sucker years and years ago. I guess Geza X works as a producer these days.

-jar

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this one. I actually think it's great fun.

And yup, he's a producer these days, did Merideth Brooks's song B<a>itch, if you can believe that. And, he's married to Jossie Cotton of Johnny Are You Qu<a>eer? fame. Ever listen to her album Convertible Music? It's actually really good.

Swish
05-25-2004, 11:47 AM
DLD's New Orleans Comp (that's not the name of it, but it's a lot of New Orleans music on it. Good Stuff!)

Emmy Lou Harris - Red Dirt Girl

The Libertine's - Up The Bracket

Teenage Fanclub - A Shortcut to TFC

The Wrens - The Meadowlands (gets better and better with each listen)

Galactic - We Love 'em Tonight

Michael Hedges - Oracle

The Bad Plus - Give (a jazz cd with a cover of Iron Man that is waaaaaay cool)

Swishster

Dusty Chalk
05-25-2004, 12:02 PM
I've heard nothing but terrible reviews about that Give CD, but I really liked their covers on their first album (the pianist stole the show, the drummer and bassist are bordering on dispensible), so...how is the rest of the CD...

Troy
05-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Jethro Tull "A" remaster.

Album's pretty good actually. Better than I remember it, but it was the 1980 "Slipstream" DVD enclosed with it that I really wanted to check out. Sadly, it's not the great 70s line up, but the show was still pretty good. Not excellent like I hoped for. Lots of cheesy video effects.

And those prehistoric videos! Make it STOP!!! Horrible, embarassing crap.

A friend let me borrow the Zappa "Does Humor Belong in Music?" DVD from 1984. Killer line up, bad fashions. Quite good, better than the Baby Snakes DVD that also came out recently.

Newtrix's "pop" comp too. A couple of comments:

What album is that Doves track from. I thought I had both albums. Is there more?

I'd like to strangle the singer in Sleater Kinney.

Dusty Chalk
05-25-2004, 01:00 PM
The Doves have a killer rarities compilation entitled Lost Sides (there were actually two versions, I have the more recent). Highly recommended, I actually liked it better than The Last Broadcast, even though the second disk is mostly remixes.

newtrix1
05-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Newtrix's "pop" comp too. A couple of comments:

What album is that Doves track from. I thought I had both albums. Is there more?

I'd like to strangle the singer in Sleater Kinney.

It's off the bonus disc with The Last Broadcast. I was excited to find it at the library, however my enthusiasm faded after listening to the album, only 3-4 "keepers" for me between both discs. I am glad I didn't buy it.

I can fully understand that sentiment, she surely has an easy voice to hate. :)

Pat D
05-25-2004, 05:28 PM
We had to travel down for my wife's mother's funeral so I haven't listened to very much. I sang Schubert's Ave Maria and other things at the funeral. It was quite a stress for my wife, so after coming back we have listened to a lot of relaxing music.

Italian Oboe Concertos. Anthony Camden, oboe; Nicholas Ward, City of London Sinfonia. Naxos 8.553433

Day Dreams, Music for Romantic Moments. Various composers, conductors. DG eloquence 469 639-2

Meditation, Music for Meditation and Dreaming. Decca eloquence 4674142

Berceuse, Music of Peace and Calm. Naxos 8.553843

Andante Cantabile, Romantic Music for Cello and Orchestra. Naxos 8.555764

All of the above are quite nice CDs for the purpose. However, I have managed to listen to a few others.

Mozart, Symphonies Nos. 35 (Haffner) and 41 (Jupiter). Haydn, Symphony no. 104. Krips (Haffner, Haydn 104) and Leibowits (Jupiter), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Chesky CD16 (reissues). Wonderful disc.

Brahms, Symphony No. 4; Beethoven, Egmont Overture. Leibowitz (Egmont) and Reiner (Brahms), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Chesky CD-6. Great CD.

Mussorgsky (arr. Ravel), Pictures at an Exhibition; Prokofiev, Symphony No. 1 (Classical), Lt. Kije. Ansermet, Suisse Romande Orchestra. London Weekend Classics 421 019-2 Over the PSB Stratus Minis, the Profkofiev pieces sounded better than I had ever heard them. I just may end up keeping the Stratus Minis.

The Clancy Brothers Greatest Hits. Clancy Brothers and Lou Killen. Vanguard VCD-53/54

audiobill
06-01-2004, 08:18 AM
I'm listening to some music that I only spin, during the summer months, to try and snap this cold spell we are having up here in Southern Ontario.

Summer in the City -- The Lovin' Spoonful

All Summer Long -- The Beach Boys

Dancing in the Street -- Marthat & the Vandellas

Summetime Rolls -- Jane's Addiction

Summertime Blues -- The Who

Summer Babe -- Pavement

School's Out -- Alice Cooper

4th of July, Ashbury Park -- Bruce Springsteen

Boys of Summer -- Don Henley

Soak Up the Sun -- Sheryl Crow

Summer of '69 -- Bryan Adams (guilty pleasure..........volume very LOUD)

That's it for now,
audiobill

Hyfi
06-01-2004, 05:28 PM
I made the time this past weekend to listen to something other than a silent textbook and the hum of computer fans.

Here is what I can remember-

Trower- Bridges in the Mist by ChipB(not Troy as I wrongly gave credit in another post)
Govt Mule- 4 of em...not good with the titles yet
Carl Filipiak- Hotel Re`al
Eric Clapton- From The Cradle
Lenny Kravitz- 5
ZZ Top- Greatest Hits
Vertu
Plageristic Pastiche Vol 2- RPM or whatever his new name is
Smooth Jazz Pizzaz- a Hyfi recording
Progressive Sampler 2- Demetrio....Still one of my all time favorite comps
Gil Scot Heron- Reflections
...If there ever was a disk that is over 20 years old and still rings true today, this is it! If you have never heard it, you should and if you have a copy you should give it another listen. This was in protest of the Reagan/Bush era and all the political injustices of the time. Hmmm they are not all that different today. B-Movie is of course the best track here...."Since John Wayne was no longer available, we settled for Ronald Reagan...Acted like an actor-Holywierd...acted like the Governer of California and then we acted like 27% of the american voters was a mandate. Mandate my ass!"

Hyfi