NBA Playoffs: Miller Time (again) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NBA Playoffs: Miller Time (again)

Woochifer
05-24-2004, 04:03 PM
Well, Reggie Miller did it yet again -- canned a late trey to ice a playoff game for the Pacers. Even though he didn't get a field goal all game long, who the hell did the Pistons think would get the ball in that situation? Even though it was just Game 1 and Game 2's about to start as I write this, looks like Mr. Miller's already in the Pistons' heads ... just like the Knicks fans of yore.

Anyway, in honor of the NBA playoffs, here's a great shot from one of Miller's many heartstabbing moments against the Knicks. It dates back to the 1998 Game 4 semis and it's a buzzerbeater that sent the game into OT, and merely prolonged the agony for the Garden faithful as Miller took over the game and torment Spike Lee & Co. all that much slower. The reaction by the fans (especially Spike Lee in the lower left corner) in this picture is just priceless! It's like they KNOW what's coming and can't do a damn thing to stop the impending doom. Anyway, enjoy!

http://members.aol.com/sfwooch/images/reggie.jpg

JSE
05-24-2004, 04:41 PM
I would really like to see the Pacers and the Timberwolves in the finals. Unfortunately, I think the Pacers have a better chance than the Wolves to get there.

I HATE THE LAKERS :mad: :mad:

JSE

Woochifer
05-24-2004, 08:41 PM
I would really like to see the Pacers and the Timberwolves in the finals. Unfortunately, I think the Pacers have a better chance than the Wolves to get there.

I HATE THE LAKERS :mad: :mad:

JSE

Well, I grew up a Lakers fan, so I can't share your hate! :) But, I will say that I'm not too thrilled with the group they got wearing the purple and gold right now. Just the way that they sleepwalk through the regular season, act like spoiled babies, sack up whenever they're playing elite teams, and then piss away games against the dregs of the league, is not the hallmark of Lakers basketball. I mean, the way that they gave away Game 2 to the T-Wolves is their entire approach in a nutshell. I can't imagine any of the Showtime Laker teams just letting an opponent back into a series after they take back homecourt advantage. And getting dominated by who? Darrick Martin? Mark Madsen? Earvin Johnson? Even the post-Magic/pre-ShaqandKobe teams still made it into the playoffs every year even though they had just a patchwork lineup. Bill Plashke of the Times summed up this Laker team pretty well in today's column...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke24may24,1,4061269.column?coll=la-headlines-sports

JSE
05-25-2004, 06:40 AM
Well, I grew up a Lakers fan, so I can't share your hate! :) But, I will say that I'm not too thrilled with the group they got wearing the purple and gold right now. Just the way that they sleepwalk through the regular season, act like spoiled babies, sack up whenever they're playing elite teams, and then piss away games against the dregs of the league, is not the hallmark of Lakers basketball. I mean, the way that they gave away Game 2 to the T-Wolves is their entire approach in a nutshell. I can't imagine any of the Showtime Laker teams just letting an opponent back into a series after they take back homecourt advantage. And getting dominated by who? Darrick Martin? Mark Madsen? Earvin Johnson? Even the post-Magic/pre-ShaqandKobe teams still made it into the playoffs every year even though they had just a patchwork lineup. Bill Plashke of the Times summed up this Laker team pretty well in today's column...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke24may24,1,4061269.column?coll=la-headlines-sports

I understand what you are saying. The days of Magic, Worthy and Kareem were something special and were a time of class. This team does not have it. You've got Shaq, who seems to be a pretty good guy, but if the league even enforce 50% of the game's rules against him, he would foul out in the first quarter every game. He gets away with murder! Of course the league has no choice, he is a huge draw and is one of the main "faces" of the league. He get's the ball about 7 feets out, and then "Steamrolls" over players to the basket and dunks it. How is that legal? He is constantly going over the back and travells all the time. Granted other player get away with things but not at the level Shaq does.

Then you have Coby. Jury is still out on him. Literally. When he wants to play, he is unstoppable and probably the best player in the league. But, as you say, he really only wants to play in the playoffs. I think if he really wanted to, he could achieve almost Jordan-like levels. But he won't.

Malone, possibly one of the dirtiest players ever. He is discrete about it, but he is dirty. I could care less if he ever gets a ring.

The Glove? He was a great player. A big whinner, but a good player but hardly the poster boy for a good league image.

And Phil? I wish he would go meditate and live in Zen in the mountains somewhere.

Anyway, I guess I have always liked past Laker teams. I just can't stand this one. They just don't seem to appreciate the "Game" and their success.

JSE