Marantz 2270 Restoration [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz 2270 Restoration

marques1
05-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Hello,

I have a Marantz 2270 receiver that is in need of some restoration....the power switch is stuck in the "on" position, a few bulbs are burned out and the tape monitor switch is causing some "scratchiness" in the sound. Does anybody know of a reputable shop (preferably on the east coast of the US) that can do this restoration work? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Christian

topspeed
05-24-2004, 11:45 PM
There's a guy on ebay that is always selling refurbished Marantz receivers such as yours. I have no idea which coast he's on but his work looks impeccable and his name comes up quite a bit at the vintage forum on Audioasylum, another good place to post this question btw. That scratching sound you hear is a dirty contact and easily fixed. I had my 2230 refurbished by a local, old school ee and he did a great job. I'd look for the same thing if I were you. Be forewarned, repairing these things isn't cheap; the bulbs alone are $4 each. It ran me $120 to replace bulbs, rebuild the volume potentometer, and rebias the amps among other things. Considering the sound quality of these ol' tanks however, it was worth every penny.

Hope this helps

Swerd
05-25-2004, 06:46 AM
There is a website dedicated to older Marantz receivers.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

If you click on Tips-n-Tricks, you will find mention of a Service Center in Charlotte (NC?), phone number 704-563-2742. They may be able to suggest a local repair shop. They may also be able to provide you a copy of a schematic diagram for your receiver. That should help any decent repair technician who may have never opened one of these before.

piece-it pete
05-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Hello,

I have a Marantz 2270 receiver that is in need of some restoration....the power switch is stuck in the "on" position, a few bulbs are burned out and the tape monitor switch is causing some "scratchiness" in the sound. Does anybody know of a reputable shop (preferably on the east coast of the US) that can do this restoration work? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Christian

Very nice receiver!

Try searching for the moniker "echowars" at audiokarma.org. He'll help you out!

Pete

luddite
10-03-2009, 09:13 PM
This is my response to an old forum question, but maybe it will help someone since the search engines are pretty good now.
The Marantz push button power switches are notorious for eventually being the first part to wear out. If you are willing to try repairing your own, I've got some good news. The old 22 hundred series Marantz receivers and amps used a variety of switches made by Matsubishi that are built to last, but they contained a fatal design flaw... two miniscule ball bearings intended to provide added life to the moving parts. They have now done their job, having protected those moving parts for thirty years, but now they have worn a path for themselves to move out of position and jam your switch. The rest of the switch is still good, although when you take it apart to remove those ball bearings you may as well clean the contacts on the rocker arms while you're at it. The factory sealed the ESB-1130-33 series switch boxes by spreading two metal flanges over the plastic cover panel. You can use a needle nose plier to sqeeze them together and then to bend them away from the cover to allow the cover to lift off (after putting it back together just use the pliers to bend those flanges back towards the cover plate to hold it in place for the next thirty years). Study the placement of the parts as you take it apart, because nobody is going to tell you how to put them back again. The trick is, get those ball bearings out of the switch and reassemble it. That's all there was to it.

poppachubby
10-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Marques, these guys have given you some great stuff but I say if you're not confident opening your amp up, then don't!! You are not just the owner of a 2270, you are the caretaker of a piece of history. It would certainly benefit the amp to be serviced by a pro. Contact Bob at Vintage Electronics. I've had some conversations with him and he has TONS of experience repairing Marantz. He may know of a shop. http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/index.html

Aside from this I don't know of any shops local to you. Good luck.