Which speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which speakers

chakotay2
05-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Looking for suggestions.

Here are two options and pricing. Tell me what you think please.

Option A: Polk Audio

(1) Center Speaker CSI3
(6) Surround Speakers RC60I
(1) Subwoofer PSW-202

Total Price: $739.90

Option B: Proficient (Made by SpeakerCraft) w/ M&S Sub

(1) Proficient Center Speaker CC525
(6) Proficient Surrounds C640
(1) M&S Subwoofer PSW112

Total Price: $900

The Amp I am using is a Pioneer VSX-912 and the room is about 16'x16'.

I love the sound of both. My audio install guy is pushing me toward the Proficient but I have not heard of them. They are made by speakercraft. Please give me some feedback on which package.

Woochifer
05-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Any reason in particular why you're opting to go with an installed system? In home theater, it's not always the equipment that makes the biggest determination on performance, but in how the whole system's setup that matters more than anything. Installed systems that I've heard are rarely setup for optimal performance, but rather for decor-friendliness.

For your budget, you're definitely going to get some sonic compromises. Ordinarily, I would recommend using your speaker budget for just the front three speakers and add on incrementally. But, with an installed system, you probably can't go that route. Tough choice. The Polk is probably the better deal because that subwoofer is free, but I would just go with whatever sounds better to you. Tough to determine that though because you won't really know how it sounds in your room until the installation's finished.

chakotay2
05-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Okay, I had never heard of proficient and don't know anything about them. Polk is a well known name to me so I was kinda leaning that way.

Thanks,
Allen

stevos2005
05-24-2004, 10:04 PM
What is your budget?

Also, you didn't mention front L & R speakers. Although I am relatively new to home theater, I have experienced that when the front Left, Center, and Right speakers are tonal/timbre matched (i.e. using the same line of the same brand of speakers) the sound field sounds best. Especially with 5.1+ digital sound, this is also important for the surrounds. I tend to like B&W speakers a lot.

In dedicated home theater systems (where HT takes priority over music) the center channel is the most important speaker, in my opinion. Of your two options A or B, I'd go with the Polks, but pony up the dough slightly and get the better CSi5 over the CSi3. You'll notice an improvement.

However, if you enjoy music listening as well, I'd go with the B&W 600 series 3. Assuming $1000 or less for center, surrounds and a sub, I'd get:

Center: LCR60 S3 $350, Surrounds: DM600 S3 $350, Sub: ASW 600 $500, but you could probably get a cheaper sub, ASW300 $350.

The DM600 S3's would also be great for front L & R. B&W's are excellent speakers.

Good luck with your choice!

05-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Its a no brainer!
Like them both a lot? go for the cheaper!
then with the extra money you can go get an extra few CDs or DVDs or LPs or whatever you dig.
Why is your audio guy pushing you in one direction?
Actually your post is confusing. You said that you love the sound of both but you havent heard the proficient ones before. Not too sure wat you mean by this, but same quality, lower price? Of course lower price!

markw
05-25-2004, 02:36 AM
I really think you should go out and do some listening to what's available instead of simply asking others what they think of what you will be living with.