Anybody go shopping this weekend? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody go shopping this weekend?

nobody
05-24-2004, 06:40 AM
I picked up a few things. Grabbed three new records...Lali Puna: Faking the Books, Blonde Redhead: Misery is a Butterfly, and Black Heart Procession: Three. (new to me anyway)

All three are really good. Thanks to those on here for the recommendations. The Lali Punu blends electronica with indie rock and new wave, excellent vinyl pressing, of course, on Morr Music. Blonde Redhead was a nice listen, exactly what I would expect from a 4AD record even though it's the first thing I've picked up on that label forever, lots of atmpspherics. I always liked Black Heart Procession's Amore De Troipcal (or whatever it's called), but this is more what I was hoping for when I first tried them out. The mood really reminds me of Hallowed Ground by Violent Femmes, all country gothic like.

I also picked up a CD, the new Lou Reed live, Animal Serenade. It's not gonna win over any new fans, but if you are a Lou fan, this will be a great listen. He really does change things around live and his band is top notch as is most always the case. Some added vocals took a bit of getting used to, but once I got into them, they were a nice addition. Funny side note, Lou uses the same Chello player that appears on the blonde redhead record.

Still gotta pick up the new Morrisey sometime soon. I'll spring for the DVD included version for the wife. Still haven't picked up the latest Mum or McLusky. So much music, so little time.

Just wanted to post because I've really been enjoying all the new stuff all weekend. All four things have been great, no disappointments at all, and all recommended.

jasn
05-24-2004, 07:05 AM
As a matter of fact....

Couldn't find "Raising the Fawn" as I'd hoped, so I picked up the new Gomez for $9.99. The first cut got me all excited, but by the end I felt like I had my expectations up too high once again to get that great, fat, swampy buzz I got from their first CD. I'm not giving up on it, but the jury is out on how much I'll be it playing this summer.

newtrix1
05-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Last night I ordered an early fathers day gift; an HDTV set to replace our 19" dinosaur. I drooled for weeks over LCD & rear projection, but when push came to shove, I decided on a conventional Toshiba 30" CRT tube type. But....it is HDTV & it's widescreen, so I'm sure we'll be happy with it.
The price difference between CRT & the other technologies was just too extreme to justify. Maybe in another few years (after the technology matures and prices drop) I'll upgrade again.

Davey
05-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Nice picks. Anyone that has followed my blabberings around here for any length of time would probably recognize those first three as some of my favorites. Black Heart Procession's <i>Three</i> is really a good album. Pretty nice sound too. You'll probably find that you <i>need</i> to get 2 next. I think it's their masterpiece. One of the most strangely addictive albums I've heard in modern times. It creaks and wavers and wanders, but still flows like a slow moving stream, winding from song to song like the timeless, rustic scenes creeping by as you float down that stream.

<i>if you are the light house in the storm
I'll be the ship filled with a thousand dead souls
and time is all we have so take the time
to take the time and make time to take the time</i>

Just managed to score myself a cheap used copy of the 10-song Geffen issue of <i>The Chief Assassin To The Sinister</i> by Three Mile Pilot, which was like the predecessor to Black Heart Procession, so I'm a happy guy too :)

Also, I was just looking over my shopping cart at Columbia House last night, trying to fill it up. It's one of those "Pick 15 CDs for free - then buy 4 more at regular club prices within two years" deals. This "wxr" code (19 CDs) comes out to $3.87/CD with $14.98 CDs, $4.50/CD with $17.98 CDs according to someone on another site (haven't done the math myself). Anyway, I've been wanting to pick up a bunch of the Dylan SACD hybrids before they go out of print so have 7 of them in the basket and a few other things like some recent remasters from Echo & The Bunnymen, Violent Femmes, Psychedelic Furs and stuff. Things I already have on vinyl, but never bought on CD. But for under $4 it's hard to complain. Not a very big selection so I've had the cart saved for awhile but finally managed to fill it up last night so I'll probably pull the trigger soon. At least that's what I always say..... :)

-Jar-
05-24-2004, 10:18 AM
didn't find any vinyl to speak of..

found a few cds for 50 cents each.

Cat Power, the Covers Album. I'm not sure if I'll like this or not. I may offer it up here if anyone wants it.

Some 2002 South by Southwest compilation that had a live Mercury Rev version of "Spiders and Flies" - figured that alone was worth 50 cents. There's a few other songs on there that look interesting.

bunch of tapes for the girls.

This was a very rural flea market.. lots of country vinyl, some of it looked pretty classic.. maybe another time or situation I might have gotten some, but on Saturday it was hot and I didn't feel like carrying around a bunch of rekkerds.

-jar

Dusty Chalk
05-24-2004, 11:06 AM
I got some frozen dinners, some B100 complex from Solgar, some organic chips and organic dips (pushover for that stuff).

Why?

Toady
05-24-2004, 12:12 PM
I got some frozen dinners, some B100 complex from Solgar, some organic chips and organic dips (pushover for that stuff).

Why?

you = me.

i have a trader joe's and a whole foods both sinfully close to my apt. since i shop at both, i figure my total cost of groceries must be about avg between the two.

oh, and my roommate works at whole foods. he's their supplement/vitamin buyer. employee discount is the way to go at that store :cool: .

-Jar-
05-24-2004, 12:47 PM
you = me.

i have a trader joe's and a whole foods both sinfully close to my apt. since i shop at both, i figure my total cost of groceries must be about avg between the two.

oh, and my roommate works at whole foods. he's their supplement/vitamin buyer. employee discount is the way to go at that store :cool: .

I like Trader Joes.. prices were a lot better than what I thought they would be. They just opened one in the Cleveland area.. yay!

Thumbs up.. "Frugal Beer" - tastes better than most cheap beers I've tried over the years.

Thumbs down.. "Two Buck Chuck" - I'm no wine guy, but I know crap when I taste it. I guess I just don't know what people are all excited about. Just did not taste good to me at all.

-jar

Stone
05-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Friday night I bought:

The New Year - The End Is Near (CD)
Wow, I forgot how good these guys are. Haven't made it all the way through this yet, but so far it sounds more like Transaction de Novo than the first New Year record. Hopefully, my initial reaction is the one that will stick, because I'm pleased so far.

Mclusky - The Difference Between Me and You Is That I'm Not On Fire (CD)
Somewhat of a departure for these guys, but my initial reaction is very postive.

Celibate Rifles - Sideroxylon (used vinyl)
Someone dumped off their entire vinyl collection at the store I frequent, and it's mostly punk/new wave stuff, including a lot of Aussie stuff. I bought some stuff a week ago or so (Celibate Rifles, Scientists, Exploding White Mice, and some SLF and other stuff too), so I thought I needed to add to it with this one.

tentoze
05-24-2004, 02:07 PM
I like Trader Joes.. prices were a lot better than what I thought they would be. They just opened one in the Cleveland area.. yay!

Thumbs up.. "Frugal Beer" - tastes better than most cheap beers I've tried over the years.

Thumbs down.. "Two Buck Chuck" - I'm no wine guy, but I know crap when I taste it. I guess I just don't know what people are all excited about. Just did not taste good to me at all.

-jar
I'm with you on the Two Buck Chuck stuff- tastes like kerosene.

:eek:

DPM
05-24-2004, 11:41 PM
Opeth/Deliverance
Arena/Immortal
Mr.Bungle/California

Dave M