Vinyl shopping is fun!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl shopping is fun!!!!!

DMK
05-23-2004, 11:40 AM
I know you've all missed me on this board lately. :) Sorry, but I've been scouring the earth for new vinyl treasures for the last couple of weeks and have returned home with about 400 more sonically superior but space hogging LP's. I was lucky enough to find some original Sun Ra Arkestra discs on the El Saturn label - very rare! I was also able to replace about 30 CD's with this hunting trip. Interestingly, one of the LP's I bought sounded less good than its corresponding CD. I looked up to see if the moon was blue! :)

I'm finding more and more people with turntables these days! There's a lot to choose from. Said people are figuring out the digital hype and turning to a superior sonic experience. One new convert found a vintage Miles Davis LP that was beat to hell. His comment was that even with all the surface noise, the music sounded more real than the CD.

For those of you into jazz and are in the St Louis area, check out Euclid Records. They have an entire basement well stocked with competitively priced jazz vinyl and I spent a goodly chunk of change there. Definitely worth the trip.

thepogue
05-23-2004, 01:45 PM
but i think i'm getting the bug too...i picked up 30 or so yesterday....i know NOTHING about rare lp's...i just grab what i can as cheap as i can...can you suggest an on-line source where i can get a quick "low-down" on pricing and whats worth what?

Peace, Pogue

DMK
05-23-2004, 05:43 PM
but i think i'm getting the bug too...i picked up 30 or so yesterday....i know NOTHING about rare lp's...i just grab what i can as cheap as i can...can you suggest an on-line source where i can get a quick "low-down" on pricing and whats worth what?

Peace, Pogue

Oh, heh heh you mean the record thing! Hrumph, ok!

I don't know of any quick down and dirty sources for pricing of rare records but I can point you to some sources. You may have to purchase a guidebook or something but check out:

www.goldminemag.com
www.collect.com/records

Hope this is helpful. It's always a pleasure to help the Pogue, who many years ago befriended a young(er) chap named Dank (who later changed his handle to DMK) with some words of wisdom for a buyer of gear who refused to take care of his bill. Yes, indeedy I sent him a Yahoo map of my house to his with a message: Send me da money or you get to meet me in person!

It worked like a freakin CHARM! Thanks, man. Always and forever beholden,

DMK
f.k.a Der Dankster

05-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Garage sales....best of the best.
Some people keep it in real good condition, but died or no longer need their old LPs.
If you are lucky, 50cents each for the ones in good condition.
For 50 cents, you cant really go wrong. Most you can ever lose is...well...50 cents.

skeptic
05-24-2004, 12:56 PM
I was also able to replace about 30 CD's with this hunting trip.

Did you say you were having a garage sale....to sell off the cds you replaced with vinyl? I'll be right over. :-)

maxg
05-25-2004, 01:36 AM
The endless hours I have spent perusing shelves on vinyl is staggering. I still cannot quite believe how much stuff id out there and how cheap it is.

I am incredibly lucky here in Athens. There are now 18 shops within half an hour of either my home or office that stock vinyl in quantity. that is more than shops selling CD's (I think - havent really checked).

God knows wht is going on. New shops are starting up all the time. I think it may be that vinyl lovers simply buy more records than digi-heads buy CD's.

Sometimes it is difficult to control the urge to buy more!! I am so short on storage space now it aint funny.

DMK
05-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Did you say you were having a garage sale....to sell off the cds you replaced with vinyl? I'll be right over. :-)

No garage sale, but come on over anyway! I only have two rules at my house when it comes to audio:

1) NOBODY touches my vinyl or CD's
2) No ABX boxes allowed!

:)

The CD's that are replaced remain in my collection, either as a spare for the car or as trade bait. And there was a rather large amount of classical LP's in my new stash, including Solti conducting the Amsterdam Orchestra traversing through Mahler's 4th, a rather foul sounding Vox Box of Bartok's Mikrokosmos and the creme de la creme, a Rubenstein disc of Rachmaninoff's Concerto #2 and Liszt's Concerto #1, both by different orchestras. Rubenstein's version of the #2 has long been a favorite. My dad gave me this same LP when I was about 8 or so and it's been, shall we say, well loved and well played. Time for a new copy and it sounds as good as always.

DMK
05-25-2004, 01:54 PM
The endless hours I have spent perusing shelves on vinyl is staggering. I still cannot quite believe how much stuff id out there and how cheap it is.

I am incredibly lucky here in Athens. There are now 18 shops within half an hour of either my home or office that stock vinyl in quantity. that is more than shops selling CD's (I think - havent really checked).

God knows wht is going on. New shops are starting up all the time. I think it may be that vinyl lovers simply buy more records than digi-heads buy CD's.

Sometimes it is difficult to control the urge to buy more!! I am so short on storage space now it aint funny.

In Indianapolis, we have just a couple of shops, so you are indeed very lucky. One local used book place gets LP's in regularly but it's a crapshoot, meaning that's the place everyone shoots their crap - their beat up LP's. But occasionally, I find some treasures that are in good shape. St Louis, with Euclid and Vintage Vinyl, get top honors and there are also several places in NYC where I shop regularly. I've got to get to Hifitommy's neck of the woods (Los Angeles) as he says the place is booming.

For space I have a separate room in my basement and it's very full! CD's are much easier to store. I buy more records than CD's but it's close. There's a lot of new music coming out on CD that will never make it to vinyl and I tolerate the lapse in fidelity in order to hear the music. It's not that big of a deal, really. Certainly I'd rather have it on vinyl and I do purchase what LP's I can find that I already own on CD if the price is reasonable. But the music is much more crucial than the medium.

eleiko
05-26-2004, 09:37 AM
DMK: You got that right: The music is indeed the thing, not the medium. But you wouldn't know it listening to some of these fanatics. Nothing wrong with being a fanatic; I'm one myself in several areas, not just audio. But if the PERFORMANCE is grand (opera and classical music lovers know what I mean), why should it matter what format carries it? It doesn't to me. Hence the reason I haven't replaced all my vinyl with CDs as some people do. Tenor Franco Correlli sounds great in either format.

DMK
05-26-2004, 10:33 AM
DMK: You got that right: The music is indeed the thing, not the medium. But you wouldn't know it listening to some of these fanatics. Nothing wrong with being a fanatic; I'm one myself in several areas, not just audio. But if the PERFORMANCE is grand (opera and classical music lovers know what I mean), why should it matter what format carries it? It doesn't to me. Hence the reason I haven't replaced all my vinyl with CDs as some people do. Tenor Franco Correlli sounds great in either format.

Fanaticism is relative. Using my own definition, I don't think there are any on this board but I do know a couple. They absolutely refuse to buy or listen to CD's, regardless of the music they're missing. A strong preference for vinyl doesn't in itself make someone a fanatic; an irrepressible aversion to CD to the extent I just mentioned does.

To put it succinctly, I replace the CD's I own with vinyl when/if a reasonable opportunity to do so arises. A fanatic doesn't have the CD's to replace! :) Or...when the need to own the music on a particular format supersedes hearing the music, you have a fanatic. So...enjoy the music in whatever format you choose!

Jimmy C
05-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Garage sales....best of the best.
Some people keep it in real good condition, but died or no longer need their old LPs.
If you are lucky, 50cents each for the ones in good condition.
For 50 cents, you cant really go wrong. Most you can ever lose is...well...50 cents.

how the Hell would they have a garage sale? ;^)

rb122
05-27-2004, 05:04 AM
how the Hell would they have a garage sale? ;^)

And if they died, wouldn't they sell the whole house instead of just the garage??!!?!?

I agree vinyl shopping is fun and garage sales or Goodwill often has good stuff. I recall a recent visit to a garage sale and I bought 3 boxes of LP's for $10. There were only about a dozen discs that were of music I wanted AND in good condition but that's still 83 cents per disc. Superior sounds and less expensive than even used CD's is an unbeatable combination.

hifitommy
05-30-2004, 06:43 AM
HEY los angelenos!!! get thee to pico blvd near barrington and put coins in those parking meters (until 6p on sat, free parking in the street after that).

records in the attic-3 for a buck!

cds,dvds, etc a buck!

20% off everything else. i have no connection other than giving a HEADS UP.

this is the same post as i gave at AA.

slbenz
05-30-2004, 07:08 AM
If any of you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, try any of the Rasputin's here. Each store has thousands of LPs to choose from, including 45s, 12" singles and some 78s. All for only 25 cents each. It doesn't matter to them what was originally marked on the LP. It is still 25 cents each! According to the employees there, they replenish their stock every month. I have spent hours there since getting back into vinyl last month.

Ben