Weekend beer talk: Beck's anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Weekend beer talk: Beck's anyone?

Davey
05-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Ya know, Beck's seems to be better than it used to be. Or maybe just more consistent. I've always enjoyed it when it was good, but sometimes I've been disappointed. At best it has a nice fresh taste, with a hint of that flavor I like so much in Pilsner Urquell. Not nearly to that standard, but still very good. And lately it's been on sale at Albertsons in 12-packs for $9.99, plus they have a promotion right now for a $7.00 rebate on two 12-packs, so it's a pretty damn good deal too at $6.50 per 12-pack after rebate. Needless to say, being both a beer lover and a cheapass, I'm all over that deal. And it's tasting pretty fine on a hot Saturday, too :)

Slosh
05-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Beck's is fine by me. It's beer-flavored beer. What a strange concept! :rolleyes:

NP: "Even After All" - Finley Quaye

tentoze
05-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Ya know, Beck's seems to be better than it used to be. Or maybe just more consistent. I've always enjoyed it when it was good, but sometimes I've been disappointed. At best it has a nice fresh taste, with a hint of that flavor I like so much in Pilsner Urquell. Not nearly to that standard, but still very good. And lately it's been on sale at Albertsons in 12-packs for $9.99, plus they have a promotion right now for a $7.00 rebate on two 12-packs, so it's a pretty damn good deal too at $6.50 per 12-pack after rebate. Needless to say, being both a beer lover and a cheapass, I'm all over that deal. And it's tasting pretty fine on a hot Saturday, too :)
Beck's has always been pretty tasty in my book. I picked up a 6 of Sam Adams' Summer Ale a coupla days ago for a first try- now THAT is damned good beer around my hacienda..........

;)

P.S.- the one copy of Blue available across the street didn't have the right initials scratched in it, but I picked it up anyhoo...along with T. Van Zandt's High, Low and In Between; Country Joe's Goodbye Blues, Graham Nash/David Crosby; and Stevie Wonder's Hotter Than July- total damage: $9.65.

Swish
05-22-2004, 01:28 PM
else is handy. I feel the same about St. Pauli Girl as well; not bad, but not great. All the "green bottle beers" seem to have a funky taste that I can't get past. Anyway, I just picked up a case of Victory Hop Devil Ale, my current favorite in the micro-brewery category and one I've mentioned here before. Man, it's just too good for words.Now that I finished off the last of my Sam Adams Winter Lager, one of my favorite beers in the world, I needed something tasty after spending most of my time drinking low-carb crap like Miller Lite. Oh, I almost forgot, I picked up another case of that too for later on in the week so I can keep my youthful figure and low cholesterol.

The Flyers / Lightning game 7 is on at 7 PM and I'll needs lots of frothy beer to get me thru this one. It should be quite nasty with plenty of hard checks and general mayhem. I'm so nervous I can hardly stand myself right now. Why do sports do this to me? I must be some kind of cracker. So it's hot in Arizona Davey? Gee, that's really odd. It's about 85 degrees here and very humid here today, but I LOVE summer so I'm not going to complain about it.

Swish Baby

NP: The Libertines - Up the Bracket

DarrenH
05-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Go Lightning!

Ya got any Hank Williams?

You might need it.

There's a tear in my beer.......

:D

Darren

Slosh
05-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Anyway, I just picked up a case of Victory Hop Devil Ale, my current favorite in the micro-brewery category and one I've mentioned here before. Man, it's just too <s>good</s> for words.

Blech! If I ever have the need to completely remove all traces of hydration from my body I'll be sure to reach for a Hop Devil. Makes temperance seem like a reasonable idea. Gak! :p

NP: Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News

Swish
05-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Go Lightning!

Ya got any Hank Williams?

You might need it.

There's a tear in my beer.......

:D

Darren

The Flyers may lose, but they did slaughter Tampa 6-2 in Tampa, and it could have been worse. Yes, they are on the road and missing two excellent defensemen and a forward, and they are a bit beat up. But they've put plenty of hurt on the Lightning, so we shall see my friend. Don't get too cocky or Swish will be relentless if Tampa chokes.

We shall see,
Swish Baby

Davey
05-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Anyway, I just picked up a case of Victory Hop Devil Ale, my current favorite in the micro-brewery category and one I've mentioned here before. Man, it's just too good for words..........So it's hot in Arizona Davey? Gee, that's really odd. It's about 85 degrees here and very humid here today, but I LOVE summer so I'm not going to complain about it........NP: The Libertines - Up the Bracket
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having a case of that Devil Ale myself, if it's this stuff you're talking about....

http://www.ratebeer.com/BeerImages/618.jpg

If it is, ignore whatever that bonehead Sloshy says, cause it's some good suds. I was kind of zaggerating on the heat. It's actually a pleasant 92 here today and dry. Probably feels a cooler than you. Spent lot of time outside. Now the last few weeks up in the low 100s was a different tune, but not bad at all today. The Libertines rock. Hockey is a silly game but have a good one ;)

DarrenH
05-22-2004, 03:25 PM
The Flyers may lose, but they did slaughter Tampa 6-2 in Tampa, and it could have been worse. Yes, they are on the road and missing two excellent defensemen and a forward, and they are a bit beat up. But they've put plenty of hurt on the Lightning, so we shall see my friend. Don't get too cocky or Swish will be relentless if Tampa chokes.

We shall see,
Swish Baby

Actually, I was just jerking yer chain.

Since the Wings have exited I've developed a soft spot for those Flames.

Good luck with the Flyers tonight.

NP: Cressida - s/t

Toady
05-22-2004, 05:13 PM
even in college i was a bit of a beer snob. honestly i can't drink Beck's.

i'm all over the Magic Hat line of beers. their Humble Patience (Irish red) is probably my favorite beer.

and Sam Adams of course. Harpoon also. these are all local breweries and i love them dearly!

Davey
05-23-2004, 02:42 PM
even in college i was a bit of a beer snob. honestly i can't drink Beck's.

i'm all over the Magic Hat line of beers. their Humble Patience (Irish red) is probably my favorite beer.

and Sam Adams of course. Harpoon also. these are all local breweries and i love them dearly!
Hmmmm, I doubt a true snob would drink Sam Adams either since it's a pretty high production beer, but I guess you probably came of age when they were much smaller and not such a big TV advertiser. And it probably is a lot better served up locally in your area too. I never really thought that highly of it, but I would definitely buy it on sale for a good price. That was kind of the point of the post - consistently good tasting Beck's at about $3.25 a 6-pack is a great deal to me. Of course, if you can't drink it then it doesn't matter how cheap it is :)

I did have some Sam Adams on tap a couple weeks ago and it tasted pretty darn good. Might be better down here in Arizona, but I haven't bought any at the store. Lots of more interesting beers available for the same price. My only experience is in Northern CA, which is a long way to ship it. I think Miller's used to brew it on the west coast but that got shut down so it might have been fresher in days of old. Guess Miller still brews a lot of it but all back east. Lots of great beers all over the country. Gordon Biersch was probably kind of the same in Northern CA as Samuel Adams was to you. Just a small micro I grew up with that went big time and now it's served on tap all over the place and is a strong national brand. Not quite the size of Sam Adams, but still pretty big.

BTW, is there really such a thing as Samuel Adams Winter Ale? You know, the one Swish Baby claims is his favorite beer? All I see is a lager. Hehehe, can't believe he doesn't even know what his favorite beer is. Or is that made special for PA ;)

Just got back from the park myself after goofing off and listening to some local Mexican music in the sun - just opened a bottle of Guinness.......mmmmmm

Toady
05-23-2004, 03:11 PM
And it probably is a lot better served up locally in your area too.

absolutely true. and while their lager is wonderful (i think), finding their other brews on tap around here is a real treat. the lager would be my default draft beer, but when their others show up it's a nice change of pace.

i've only ever heard of a winter lager, which i don't care for. it tastes like christmas to me... i just don't like that taste in a beer.

their other seasonals (spring ale, summer ale and octoberfest) are all outstanding.

-Jar-
05-24-2004, 12:57 PM

Beck's Dark just might be my favorite beer. Gosh we used to drink a ton of that stuff. Remember Michelob Dry? We used to get Mick Drys and Beck's Dark. I don't even know if they make Mick Dry anymore.. that was back in 1990..

My favorite for cheap is still Rolling Rock.. one swig and I can almost smell the smoke and hear The Jesus Lizard cranking in the background..

-jar

Swish
05-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Hmmmm, I doubt a true snob would drink Sam Adams either since it's a pretty high production beer, but I guess you probably came of age when they were much smaller and not such a big TV advertiser. And it probably is a lot better served up locally in your area too. I never really thought that highly of it, but I would definitely buy it on sale for a good price. That was kind of the point of the post - consistently good tasting Beck's at about $3.25 a 6-pack is a great deal to me. Of course, if you can't drink it then it doesn't matter how cheap it is :)

I did have some Sam Adams on tap a couple weeks ago and it tasted pretty darn good. Might be better down here in Arizona, but I haven't bought any at the store. Lots of more interesting beers available for the same price. My only experience is in Northern CA, which is a long way to ship it. I think Miller's used to brew it on the west coast but that got shut down so it might have been fresher in days of old. Guess Miller still brews a lot of it but all back east. Lots of great beers all over the country. Gordon Biersch was probably kind of the same in Northern CA as Samuel Adams was to you. Just a small micro I grew up with that went big time and now it's served on tap all over the place and is a strong national brand. Not quite the size of Sam Adams, but still pretty big.

BTW, is there really such a thing as Samuel Adams Winter Ale? You know, the one Swish Baby claims is his favorite beer? All I see is a lager. Hehehe, can't believe he doesn't even know what his favorite beer is. Or is that made special for PA ;)

Just got back from the park myself after goofing off and listening to some local Mexican music in the sun - just opened a bottle of Guinness.......mmmmmm

When did I mention Sam Adams Winter Ale? Read my post again and you'll see that I got it right the first time, and I didn't edit it either! I'll accept your apology whenever you get around to it.else is handy. ;) Here is part of my post ... [I]Victory Hop Devil Ale, my current favorite in the micro-brewery category and one I've mentioned here before. Man, it's just too good for words.Now that I finished off the last of my Sam Adams Winter Lager, one of my favorite beers in the world...

Yes, I screw up lots of stuff on this board, but I know my beer!

Swishy

Davey
05-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Hey Davey, are you losing your mind???????
Yeah, it does look like it. What else could it be? Sometimes on the weekend I do take too many drugs, but I don't really have a problem......
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/drugs.gif
.....unless I run out! Sorry buddy http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

Swish
05-25-2004, 04:13 AM
Yeah, it does look like it. What else could it be? Sometimes on the weekend I do take too many drugs, but I don't really have a problem......
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/drugs.gif
.....unless I run out! Sorry buddy http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

Now, about that Sam Adams Summer Ale... :D