Anyone have Desparate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Desparate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes yet?

Davey
05-22-2004, 11:40 AM
What do you think of the new TV On The Radio album? Great? Good? I don't know? Another over-hyped band from Brooklyn? Get more attention than they deserve because there aren't hardly any other black rock bands? Or only 2/3 black, now that I look at a picture. That's some 'fro the lead guy is sportin', eh?

http://betterpropaganda.com/images/artists/TV_On_The_Radio-image.jpg

Anyway, I've listened to a couple mp3 songs (Satellite and Staring At The Sun) and like the sound, but don't know how strong the album is. Lots of good press. I think I remember Swish Baby ordering it, but don't recall any mention of it. Probably ordered it from the notoriously slow deepdiscountcd.com so it might not be here in time for consideration on his best of 2004 list ;)

Swish
05-25-2004, 11:40 AM
that it's pretty damned good. I read a sterling review that made me put it on the top of my list. The reviewer mentioned that they were possible successors to Bowie, Prince and the Pixies, so no one needed to twist my arm.

Actually, this thing sounds very unique (can something be very unique?) and nothing like the Strokes, Interpol, or other recent New York bands with lots of hype behind them. Not that I have any problem with the Strokes or Interpol, both of which are fine bands in my opinion, but their influences are firmly planted in the 80s while this stuff is, well, very different. My favorite tune so far is "Staring at the Sun", which I understand was on their Young Liars EP that was released last year.

I have to go now. My Sam Adams Winter Ale awaits. :D

Swish Baby

Dusty Chalk
05-25-2004, 11:52 AM
can something be very unique?Well, considering we probably overuse the word 'unique' (and I include myself in that crowd), yes.