setup on my yamaha 1300 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : setup on my yamaha 1300

madmax1
05-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Dont understand the big or small speaker option setting? I have a sat system so do i have to put it on small? It sounds better when i put it in large?? any help whould be great!

Lexmark3200
05-21-2004, 08:19 PM
Dont understand the big or small speaker option setting? I have a sat system so do i have to put it on small? It sounds better when i put it in large?? any help whould be great!

Max,

From what I understand and how I have my setup connected, with a sat/sub system, the setting should be on small and the receiver should acknowledge in the setup that there IS in fact a subwoofer in your system so the lowest frequencies go right to the sub. If there is a full-range speaker system involved, and not a satellite setup, I believe the setting should be on "large."

kexodusc
05-22-2004, 03:18 AM
Mad Max,
I have the RX-V1400 very similar to yours. I use Paradigm Studio speakers, large, full range jobbies with a sub. My system sounds better when the speakers are set to small and the sub handles bass frequencies below 80Hz. If I set the speakers to large, I get the sub and speaker reproducing some frequencies together, causing overlap, while lower frequencies still output only by the sub. In my case, setting the large speakers to small improves sound.
Try raising the LFE cutoff in the 1300's menu to match the bottom end of the frequency range of your satellite speakers, and set the speakers to small...I find ignoring the low frequency extension works better...for example, my parents have their LFE set at 100Hz, so anything below 100 Hz goes to the sub. They have an Energy Take 5.2 system, sounds decent enough but the small speakers just don't due low frequencies justice.

In the end, use your ears, not the manual, if you like the "large" setting better, power to ya!