Soundproofing Methods [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Soundproofing Methods

Aerohead
05-21-2004, 10:54 AM
I'm in the planning phase for my basement home theater and I was wondering if anyone had experience with the various soundproofing methods out there. I'd like to add any treatment during the framing/drywall stage as opposed to exterior mounted acoustic panels.

Three methods I've seen are:

Mass Loaded Vinyl - sheets that go on the 2x4 frames before the drywall. http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm

Special acoustic drywall

Resilient channel - metal channels that isolate the drywall from the studs.http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

All three of these methods are pretty pricy, I'm wondering if anyone knows how effective they are?

WmAx
05-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Well, a signficant problem is low frequency transmissmision through the ceiling/walls. If you are building a purpose-specific listening room -- Ideally, since you are in a basement, you would want to build the room and not have any physical connections to the rest of the house structure. The most effective method would be to simply build a self supportring frame for walls/ceiling of this room, not cnonected physically to the house's other frame/structure. The room must be air tight, to work optimally. This means ALOT of work. You can not overlook the wiring, outlet/switch boxes, light fixture mounts, doors,e tc. The room must be completely air tights. Even a small brech can allow for signficant decrease in attenuation. For wiring, you can run the power wires/etc through PVC as a conduit and then use an expanding foam in the pipe to seal. Walls should be thick, at least 2 layers of 1/2" drywall. Realizing this room should yeild an extremely effective isolation from external noises and vice versa. Ideally, the containing room should be air tight as well, or at least as much so as-is feasible. Addition of dampening sheets to the drywall(as noted in your link) should be used on the drywall. If the room in a room approach is not possible, then the next approach is to decouple as best you can, using highly lossy materials beteen the primary joints, such as yor link suggests. But the best method is an air tight room in a room approach.

-Chris

I'm in the planning phase for my basement home theater and I was wondering if anyone had experience with the various soundproofing methods out there. I'd like to add any treatment during the framing/drywall stage as opposed to exterior mounted acoustic panels.

Three methods I've seen are:

Mass Loaded Vinyl - sheets that go on the 2x4 frames before the drywall. http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm

Special acoustic drywall

Resilient channel - metal channels that isolate the drywall from the studs.http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

All three of these methods are pretty pricy, I'm wondering if anyone knows how effective they are?

skeptic
05-22-2004, 10:46 AM
I have "soundproofed" some rooms. These were video teleconference rooms where reasonable measures had to be taken to keep the communications discussed in the room confidential. You may not want to go to these extremes. You CAN go to greater extremes. It depends on what you are trying to do.
Money of course is a factor.

First you should install fiberglass batting inside the walls and above the ceiling. To further prevent sound transmission through the walls, install 1/2 inch firring strips on the wall and add another layer of sheet rock. If you do, you will need to install extra deep electrical boxes for light switches and receptacles. There are acoustic doors you can buy as well and they form a tight seal when closed. Caulk all openings such as around receptacle boxes and jack plates. For acoustic treatments you can use Armstrong "Sound Soak" and any of many attractive acoustic hung ceilings they sell. Those ceilings can also be mounted on firring strips to save overhead clearance. As I recall I installed a lot of 2 x 2 Armstrong "painted nubby." Get a copy of Armstrong's product catalog. You can buy more exotic and expensive sound absorbing treatment as well depending on what you need to do but these are is the most common products I've seen in commercial construction.

There are lots of good ideas in the AIA (American Institute of Architects ) books on standards.

Be sure you have adequate ventillation including sufficient outside air. Get the help of an air conditioning and heating contractor. There are sound isolation baffles that can be installed in ductwork and you can insulate the ducts themselves. To do an effective job, you might want to get the help of an architect. Be sure the contractors you use are familiar with the techniques you will employ, understand their purpose, and take them seriously. If they don't, the best plans will end up in an unsatisfactory job. If you hire an architect, he can also provide services to inspect that what has been built conforms to his design. He can also help you with a contract that will require the contractors to conform to his design and fix it at their own cost if they don't. No I am not an architect but I have worked with many of them.

If you are serious about isolating this room, it takes a well planned well executed project and an adequate budget. You will not accomplish much if you try to get by on the cheap.