Comps are good, bad, good, bad, good, bad,...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Comps are good, bad, good, bad, good, bad,......

Davey.
11-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Polls are silly. But not if combined with smilies :)

So, do you think that comp talk should be discouraged on the new board? I just mean making posts about them, not trading. Or can you not have one without the other? Well, I guess you can always trade without talking about it in the forum, but that takes a lot (most?) of the fun out of it, doesn't it? Kind of curious since I was just finishing up a year-end comp and was debating with my better looking and much smarter invisible twin if I should just send out a few copies to my little "clique", or make a post about it and ask who wants one. Of course, I then take the risk of getting no responses ;)

Anyway, just thought it might be fun to do a poll on the subject since I haven't tried that function yet and get some other opinions before we get too far along on this "new" board. So vote early, and often.

MindGoneHaywire
11-29-2003, 12:47 PM
I voted straight down the middle. I didn't think it was ruining the board, but it definitely got to be a bit much at times, and it is possible that comp talk was part of the clique-ish-ness of the board that may have discouraged lurkers from posting. I think too much of a good thing was not really a good thing. Of course, when I just made a comp I had plenty to say about it, but I think it was awhile since I'd done that, so...

Davey.
11-29-2003, 01:43 PM
I voted straight down the middle. I didn't think it was ruining the board, but it definitely got to be a bit much at times, and it is possible that comp talk was part of the clique-ish-ness of the board that may have discouraged lurkers from posting.
I feel pretty much the same way and almost voted down the middle myself since I do prefer normal music talk, but then I had to reconcile that stance with my big list of comps that I maintain at my site, many with long drawn out descriptions, along with the fun I get hearing someone talk about one of my comps, so in the end I had to vote for like em and like to talk about em. Even though I do feel it would be nice if there was enough "real" music talk around here that comp talk didn't stand out as much. But that just doesn't seem too likely, especially now with this new format and only a few participants. Barely enough people for one decent sized clique anymore ;)

Jim Clark
11-29-2003, 07:10 PM
I like talking, well umm, reading and writing about music on this board. Know what I like even more? Listening to music! Comps help make that happen and lead me down some paths I wouldn't have ventured down on my own. Seems to me that this can only spur a little more discussion. You know what else comps can do? Make the board a more personable place. The flip side to that could be that some who don't participate might find it to be unpersonable. My take has always been so what? The people reading make the choice to participate or not. That mystery disc is available to anyone. If a lurker decided not to participate it certainly isn't because he/she isn't welcome it's simply a decision they made-not me. Friendliest group of folks on the net and I'm continuely amazed that it isn't the most popular destination on the internet.

Of course that's just my opinion.

jc

Swish
11-29-2003, 10:22 PM
I really do like them, mostly because it's a good way to be introduced to new music that I most likely would never hear otherwise. I admit that it was getting out of control at one time, but I'm ok with anyone making a comp that has some uniqueness and/or relavance. I have at least 50 or 60 of them, probably more, in my collection, and I feel badly that some of them have been negleted. In fact, I'm pretty sure I never acknowledged receiving some of them, so I'd like to take this opportunity to say "thank you" to all those who sent me comps for which I've never said thanks :-). Am I a schmuck or what!

Dusty Chalk
11-30-2003, 01:16 PM
I think comps are great, and a great way to introduce new music. I don't participate, but I have no problem with the rest of youse guys discussing comps. As long as that's not all you discuss.

JDaniel
11-30-2003, 04:05 PM
There are a lot of things that make this site great (new format notwithstanding), and one of those are comps. I've gotten a ton of them from you guys and gals. And I've tried to offer back comps to anyone who wants them. I've been introduced to a bunch of new music that I would not have been otherwise. And I've dropped a wad of cash on music since finding this site 3 years ago (much more than I probably would have done w/o this site and it's music discussions). And I enjoy talking about comps, and appreciate it when someone takes the time to give a thorough review of a comp or album.

I agree with JC - nothing prevents a lurker from requesting a comp. I think I know you guys well enough that you wouldn't turn a request down just because they weren't one of the regulars (if you can call this group regular - LOL).

And if someone doesn't want to read about a comp, I equate that to a channel you don't want to watch on TV - change the channel (i.e. don't read the thread).

JD (working on my Christmas 2003 comp as I type)

nobody
12-01-2003, 10:17 AM
I don't really see negatives with the comps. People are good around here about sending you stuff if you ask, and often don't even care about getting anything in return. So, it's pretty easy to participate if you;re interested. And, it's a great way to hear new stuff and see if you like it. Like has already been sadi, all the talking in the world won't really tell you if you'll like something or not. Sometimes, you just gotta hear it. And, hard as it is to find outlets that play new music outside of a slim slice of what gets pushed by the record companies, comps are a great way to hear things.

I also agree that if talk about comps bugs you, you can just not read those threads. I can't really see how that is too hard.

The only possible drawback I see is if all the comp talk keeps peeple from posting about other things. It may happen some, but if someone has something they wanna talk about, all they gotta do is post and they're pretty likely to get at least a few responses. I can't see too many people deciding not to post a reply to something or post about something that interests them just because they made a comp post too.

Hyfi
12-02-2003, 05:54 AM
Before hanging here my musical tastes were stuck in one or two areas. After recieving lots of comps, my tastes have been widened greatly. There are also lots of bands and genres that turned me off or confirmed my original opinions.

Besides the comps themselves, trading has brought me new friends as well as the music. I have traded with all but one or two of the regulars here over the last two years.

I enjoy making comps for myself as well as for trade.

Hyfi