For your list-reading pleasure... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : For your list-reading pleasure...

Ex Lion Tamer
05-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Uncle Festers top 500 albums since 1965 (http://www.fastnbulbous.com/best_since_1965.htm)

Toady
05-20-2004, 10:10 AM
well, that list has to be wrong. ok computer and kid a have 450 albums listed above them.

Stone
05-20-2004, 10:24 AM
well, that list has to be wrong. ok computer and kid a have 450 albums listed above them.

Yeah, I could easily find a couple thousand more albums that should be ahead of Kid A.

Toady
05-20-2004, 10:56 AM
woh.

i could probably find 50.

Dusty Chalk
05-20-2004, 04:37 PM
A couple of comments:

- Instead of having, what was it, 178 "honourable mentions", why didn't he just say, "The Best 678 albums since 1965"? I completely disagree with the stance that any music can have such an even number of "best" albums.

- Whut, no Slowdive?

- Remain in Light at #2 -- not too shabby.

- Yay -- Talk Talk's Laughing Stock @ #119, Spirit of Eden @ #288, and Colour of Spring @ #532.

- Loveless @#48!

- No Nine Inch Nails, not even Broken?!? WTF,O!

- Another Green World at #11! Whoa! That's a bit of a surprise.

- Three Black Sabbath albums, but nothing by: Opeth, Maiden...

- Industrial, metal, synth-pop, and goth are just plain under-represented here (whut, no Puppy? No Bauhaus?!?).

- DI Go Pop @ #77 -- that's a lot higher than I would've put it, even though it is quite a unique record (and right over Joy Division, no less).

- Okay, beginning to figure this guy out a little bit -- I'm seeing a lot of X and Buzzcocks and Wire and stuff. This guy just don't like synthesizers much (not the same as electronica -- that's mostly made on computers these days).

- Four Tet @ #182?!? I mean, don't get me wrong, I like that album, but...you're saying it's better than Portishead?!?

- Dr. Octagonecologyst @#280? Okay, just this very weird cross-section of electronica is being represented here...

- Nice to see some Comsat Angels in there, but no Golden Earring, no New Model Army...? Ditto Tortoise, but no GYBE...

- The thing I like best about this list is that it doesn't violate my pet peeve -- it is perfectly legitimate for you to have your favourite band there multiple times throughout the list, and he does this.

- Overall, I like the list, it's interesting, but in an attempt to represent a lot of things, a lot of things were missed. It's just one man's opinion, as is mine.

Dusty Chalk
05-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Caetano Veloso is listed three times

Chico Science & Nação Zumbi * Afrociberdelia is listed twice

Gilberto Gil is mentioned a couple times, as is Neutral Milk Hotel * In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark * Architecture & Morality , Twink * Think Pink, and who knows how many others (I didn't compare the "the" bands with their non-definite-articled equivalents, although I probably could with a little bit of sed...

But then, somewhere along the line, he added two, so instead of it being the top 680, it's more like the top 673, or some such.

Mr MidFi
05-25-2004, 07:53 AM
I didn't see any REM there. Not even Murmur or Reckoning. That's odd.

Not a bad list overall, I guess. By that, I mean there's a pretty decent chance that a randomly selected number will correspond to an album I like.

But am I the only one asking WTF about The Congos?

Stone
05-25-2004, 09:14 AM
But am I the only one asking WTF about The Congos?

Probably not, but that album is a great one. Definitely recommended if you're into that kind of thing.