replace or retain? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : replace or retain?

bngsdad
05-20-2004, 06:35 AM
This is my current set up: Onkyo TX-DS484, PSB Alpha B for the front, PSB Alpha C, PSB Subsonic 5 and a pair of ordinary speakers for the rear. I have decided to upgrade my system and I have two options, I hope you could help me out. Definitely, I'm gonna replace the receiver so here it goes:

Option A - retain the Alpha Bs, center and sub. Purchase new tower speakers and a new receiver

Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR701
Front- PSB Alpha T
Center- PSB Alpha C
Sub- PSB Subsonic 5
Rear- PSB Alpha B

Option B- Replace the whole system

Receiver- Onko TX-SR701
Front- B&W 602S3
Center- B&W LCR60S3
Rear- B&W 600S3
Sub- ASW600

Area is 20x20ft.

I'm working on a budget that's why I thought about the first one. If B&W sounds way better, like worth the extra cash, guess I'm gonna be left with no choice. Hope you could help me out.

Bryan
05-20-2004, 06:44 AM
What is your total budget for upgrading the receiver/speakers/sub?

magictooth
05-20-2004, 06:51 AM
This is my current set up: Onkyo TX-DS484, PSB Alpha B for the front, PSB Alpha C, PSB Subsonic 5 and a pair of ordinary speakers for the rear. I have decided to upgrade my system and I have two options, I hope you could help me out. Definitely, I'm gonna replace the receiver so here it goes:

Option A - retain the Alpha Bs, center and sub. Purchase new tower speakers and a new receiver

Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR701
Front- PSB Alpha T
Center- PSB Alpha C
Sub- PSB Subsonic 5
Rear- PSB Alpha B

Option B- Replace the whole system

Receiver- Onko TX-SR701
Front- B&W 602S3
Center- B&W LCR60S3
Rear- B&W 600S3
Sub- ASW600

Area is 20x20ft.

I'm working on a budget that's why I thought about the first one. If B&W sounds way better, like worth the extra cash, guess I'm gonna be left with no choice. Hope you could help me out.

Is there any way that you can listen to the B&W set personally? A take home trial would be the best.

bngsdad
05-20-2004, 06:56 AM
What is your total budget for upgrading the receiver/speakers/sub?
It's kinda open but we're having our house renovated. I'm kinda hopin the first one would be better. What do you think?

bngsdad
05-20-2004, 07:03 AM
Is there any way that you can listen to the B&W set personally? A take home trial would be the best.
I already did in their listening room, B&Ws were the best. I couldn't compare it with the PSBs cus their shop doesn't carry both speakers. I'm gonna have a hard time remembering how it exactly sounded like. Still a rookie

3db
05-20-2004, 08:44 AM
I think a fair comaprison of the B&W s to PSB is if you chose their Image or Stratus series line-up instead of the Alpha's. The Alphas are PSB's entry level products