Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers. Good deal? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers. Good deal?

ekĘsine
05-19-2004, 10:29 PM
the seller of these pair of speakers are offing them to me for $380 (with shipping). he says the Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers are 3 years old and from the photos they are in very good condition. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a good deal or not.

JSE
05-20-2004, 07:36 AM
the seller of these pair of speakers are offing them to me for $380 (with shipping). he says the Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers are 3 years old and from the photos they are in very good condition. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a good deal or not.

I listened to these speakers about 2 years ago I guess and they were pretty nice from what I remember. Although they were in a large room with other speakers at Fry's. Nice bass and maybe a tad on the bright side. Again, this was 2 or more years ago, so my memory may be a little off. I am not 100% sure these are the same speakers you have mentioned. Be sure to find out exactly which one this is. If memory sevres, there are two or three models with basically the same name with a fairly large range in price and performance. The ones I listened to were about $1200 retail for the pair, but I also remember there being some at about $600 to $700. I think the more expensive ones were the Classic Gold Reference or Aerogels or something like that.

Do a little research into the different models to make sure which ones these are. If they are the upper line models, then $380 seems like a good deal. If not, then $380 might seem a little high. Again, find otu excatly which ones these are.

JSE

JSE
05-20-2004, 07:39 AM

Actually, here is a good link that describes the difference. They tested both Pinnacle models against some others. Hope this clears it up.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/faceoff1.php#pinnacle2

JSE

ekĘsine
05-20-2004, 02:29 PM
thanks JSE. i've actually seen that page while researching these speakers. they are the "towers" not the "reference". they actally cost $300 and $80 for shipping. they are in very nice condition, in fact he still has the manuals and box even though they are 3 years old. i was wondering, since they are 3 years old is that a problem? how long do speakers last and can they be repaired? the woofer sourroundings are rubber not foam.

JSE
05-20-2004, 02:57 PM
thanks JSE. i've actually seen that page while researching these speakers. they are the "towers" not the "reference". they actally cost $300 and $80 for shipping. they are in very nice condition, in fact he still has the manuals and box even though they are 3 years old. i was wondering, since they are 3 years old is that a problem? how long do speakers last and can they be repaired? the woofer sourroundings are rubber not foam.

I am definitely not the authority when it comes to speaker construction and speaker life but, I can tell you this. 3 years is nothing. If they have been maintained properly and not abused sonically and physically, they "should" be fine. Rubber surrounds are a lot more durable than foam and should last many many years under normal conditions. I would be more concerned about their physical and sonic quality than the age with the speakers you're looking at. If you trust the guy, the $300 plus $80 for shipping seems to be a pretty good deal. Be sure to get insurance on the shipping.

Maybe someone with more knowedge on speaker life will chime in?

JSE

whitese
05-23-2004, 05:22 AM
I had the classic gold towers with the aerogel midrange, but I think that is the only diff.

I was extremely happy. The bass is very deep and extremely tight..I cont comment on the mids or highs due to the absent mid driver.