Id-4 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Id-4

Lexmark3200
05-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Recently picked up the "Limited Edition" disc which was released a couple of weeks ago, because I previously only owned this on VHS...does anyone know if there is a U.S. DTS version of this DVD available, and are all the DD 5.1 mixes on every version of Independence Day, including this Limited Edition, all carryovers? I have read that Japan has gotten a full-blown Ultimate Edition with DTS and awesome packaging. Are all ID-4 releases in the U.S. DD-encoded only?

hifimaster
06-16-2004, 05:44 AM
You got a problem with Dolby Digital?

Just kidding. ;-)

As far as I know, the U.S. version of ID4 is only available in DD. I checked the dts site, and ID4 is not listed for U.S. release.

Lexmark3200
06-16-2004, 11:38 AM
You got a problem with Dolby Digital?

Just kidding. ;-)

As far as I know, the U.S. version of ID4 is only available in DD. I checked the dts site, and ID4 is not listed for U.S. release.

Hey Hi Fi,

Thanks for the post.....Naaah, I dont really have a problem with Dolby Digital, its just that, in recent times, it seems like DTS gets my vote for much better sound encoding....on some soundtracks, it is blatantly obvious, others, not so much....see, to me, blockbuster action flicks like ID-4 should have come with aggressive DTS encoding....I mean, the Dolby track is okay when called upon for destruction sequences but in all, its really not that THAT aggressive; same thing went with the Dolby Digital tracks I have heard for Black Hawk Down, Armageddon and the Bad Boys films....they are okay, but it seems a lot more could have been done with the audio (well, maybe not for the Bad Boys films....those are LOUD). In all fairness, one of the loudest and best made Dolby tracks I have ever experienced had to be Terminator 3....man, this soundtrack kicks the snot out of many DTS mixes I have heard.

But getting back to Independence Day, I just dont know why Fox does this...there are countless versions of this DVD out there.....a Five Star two disc set, a full frame edition, now this Limited Edition....Im wondering if the audio and video transfer on this latest "Limited Edition" are the same as previous versions.

Do you think it wise to look into purchasing a multi-region DVD player? There are so many overseas titles that I want with superior sound mixes and all that Im thinking maybe a multi region player may be a good investment.