I need a universal remote. Help appreciated. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need a universal remote. Help appreciated.

Laslonimne
11-14-2016, 01:36 PM
I would like a recommendation for a universal remote. I searched the forums but don’t find any related posts in the last year.

I’m using AT&T’s U-Verse “cable”, a Panasonic Viera Television, a Panasonic Blu-ray DVD, and a Marantz AV7005 processer.
The ATT S10 remote worked like a champ for years, but has given up the ghost and the newer ATT remotes are not universal.

The Marantz insists on having a video signal before it’s powered up so it knows what it’s supposed to connect to. If DVD is powered up first, the Marantz automatically selects it. Ditto cable. If the input is changed from Cable to DVD it will follow the signal. If it’s powered up before the video, I get no audio.

I would prefer NOT to have a rechargeable remote since I do not care for the idea of having to dock it when I’m finished with it. So I don’t think I’d care for the Harmony One that everyone seems to love.

Years ago I had a Phillips Neo that was infinitely programmable to start up equipment in the proper sequence complete with requisite pauses, but it seems really clunky now.

I really, really like the simplicity of the ATT S10 remote (not to mention that my left hand has learned to operate it totally in the dark).

Is there anything out there that’s similar?

Is the Harmony 650 my best alternative?

Thanks for any advice/opinions.

TheHills44060
11-15-2016, 08:47 AM
A couple years ago I ended up getting the Harmony Smart Control w/hub and have been pretty satisfied. Its battery operated at allows you to control the order in which devices are powered off and on. Looks like its no longer made but from a quick glance it may be have been replaced with the Harmony Companion? Seems similar but with some added home control features.

jeskibuff
11-21-2016, 03:56 AM
I've tried the Logitech Harmony remotes before and don't like them. The button placement is not intuitive and they try to be TOO smart, kind of like Microsoft products which try to guess what you want to do next.

I've been very happy with my Aeros MX-850 remote...had it since 2005 with no problems. The layout is good enough that you can do common functions by feel without having to look at the remote. I control 2 preamps, 5 disc players, an HDTV receiver, HD recorder and TV with mine, with capability to control even more devices. I've only run into one problem where my remote can't seem to properly learn the "0" key on the HDTV receiver remote. I also bought my sister a lesser model, the MX-500 which was also nice with a similar layout, just with less flexibility. Setting up a Logitech Harmony remote is much easier, but if you're like me and you want your setup to function YOUR way, the Aeros remotes are worth the extra trouble. Don't know if the company still exists, as I only saw used models on eBay.

URC Aeros/Orion MX-850 Universal Programmable Remote Control MX850 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/URC-Aeros-Orion-MX-850-Universal-Programmable-Remote-Control-MX850-/322327507443)

URC Home Theater Master MX-500 Universal Programmable Remote Control MX500 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/URC-Home-Theater-Master-MX-500-Universal-Programmable-Remote-Control-MX500-/252380342613)

blackraven
11-21-2016, 09:20 PM
I actually like the Harmony. If you buy one, get it from BB and pay the $14 for additional warranty. It is worth it if you drop it and break it.

Jack in Wilmington
11-22-2016, 10:34 AM
I have the Harmony Touch in my HT room and the Harmony One in my family room. They work much better than the Verizon remotes that they replaced. They both have recharging stations so there is no worry about the batteries dying.