Smile.........Better late than never. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Smile.........Better late than never.

skewiff
05-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Brian Wilson will release a newly recorded version of SMILE on September 28th ' 04, it features his touring band and the Stockholm Strings.

Also, Brian Wilson will be releasing his first new album in 6 years this is called "Getting In Over My Head", it has guests, Elton John, Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney. I've forgotten the release date ,but it's soon.

Tony

Davey
05-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Brian Wilson will release a newly recorded version of SMILE on September 28th ' 04, it features his touring band and the Stockholm Strings.

Also, Brian Wilson will be releasing his first new album in 6 years this is called "Getting In Over My Head", it has guests, Elton John, Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney. I've forgotten the release date ,but it's soon.

Tony
There's also been new rumors going around that Capitol has been gathering up all the old Smile session tapes they can find, or at least searching the vaults for them. Conjecture is that some sort of new box set would follow to leverage off all the publicity for the new Smile release, but who knows. Certainly not the first time this rumor has surfaced. Release date is listed as June 22 for Gettin' In Over My Head at his site, along with all the album notes and credits

Dave_G
05-19-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey Davey,

any word on any other artists' stuff on Capitol or other label in queue to be remastered?

Thanks-

Dave

Davey
05-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey Davey,

any word on any other artists' stuff on Capitol or other label in queue to be remastered?
Are you as anxious as me for the upcoming Bob Seger's Greatest Hits 2? Huh? Hehehe, I don't really pay much attention to remasters to be honest. Can't even remember what the last one I bought would've been, although it was probably a coupla early Kinks CDs that I got last summer in that not-very-good-sounding Castle series. Now there's a band that could use some respect in the remaster department. Sigh. But since I didn't already have them on CD and I don't think any of the previous versions were very good either, I wasn't disappointed :)

I did hear that the recent The Final Cut remaster is kind of sucky, which seems odd because they apparently went to a lot of expense on it, but ultimately wound up using lots of no-noise and compression. Too bad, although I haven't heard it myself. But I do think we have somewhat differing opinions on the sound of remasters as most that I've heard are a mixed bag and some are just bad, with only occasional ones really shining in all respects. But that's why ice cream comes in more than one flavor ;)