Anyone hear Dynaudio BM6? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear Dynaudio BM6?

Prefuse
11-29-2003, 03:07 AM
Has anyone auditioned these speaks? They supposedly have the same internals as the Contour series, but come in cheaper cabinets. It also only retails for a thousand bucks.

Jetsons
12-01-2003, 06:46 PM
I've only heard the BM5 which is an excellent speaker and easily on par with the considerably more expensive A-52. The Dyn acoustics appear to be a bit more forward (less forgiving) in their presentation which recording engineers may require. The acoustics do lack the craftmanship of the audio line of speakers but based on what limited experience I have with them, they certainly don't give up anything on the performance front.

I've mentioned the BM6 here several times based on the internal components they use at the price. The D-260 tweeter is directly from the Contour line but I believe the mid bass driver is the same used on the BM5 which seems to be similar to that used in the Audience line. I believe there are owners (very satisfied) at Audio Asylum so you may ask there.

BTW, I suspect the BM6 to be a superior performer to the similarly priced Audience 52 based on my listening experience of the BM5.

Regards,

Jet

Prefuse
12-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks Jet,

I am very curious as to how these speakers sound, but I can only get it through the web and so audtioning seems unfeasable. There is one website that sells the BM6 for a mere 799.99. I was actually considering the Audience 52's until I discovered the BM6. Now I'm in a bind!

psonic
12-02-2003, 01:22 AM
what is the driver size on this unit, same as the 52?

Prefuse
12-02-2003, 11:50 AM
The BM6 has the exactly the same size drivers as the Audience 52: 17cm.

Jetsons
12-03-2003, 07:04 AM
Hey, Prefuse:

You might check http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com and find a dealer in your neck of the woods. San Diego is not exactly a tiny place so there is bound to be a Dyn Acoustics dealer in your area. They should have the BM5 & BM15 at a minimum available for audition and those should give you an idea as to what expect.

I would just add that in my experience, the D260 tweeter is superior to the D28/2, used in the Audience line. I've owned Dyn speakers with both and the former is just at a different level. The BM6 also has considerably more slam than the A52 which is a big plus in my book. I just can see paying more for a speaker with an inferior tweeter and considerably reduced lower end performance but that's just me.

If you get a chance to listen to the BM6, let us know what you think. I have not been able to find these babies on display anywhere in Manahattan.

Jet

Prefuse
12-03-2003, 11:38 AM
I live in Berkeley now and there is plenty of dealers in the Bay Area that carry Dynaudio Acoustics! The closest one to me, however, only carries the active version of the BM6. I'll look around some more and keep you posted. Thanks for the info.

Jetsons
12-03-2003, 12:21 PM
I swapped emails with an owner of the BM6A and he was extremely impressed with their performance. Apparently, the active x-overs of the BM6A are very useful to tune the speaker to a particular room.

You can probably audition those and get an accurate representation of the performance of the BM6 passive. They are the identical speaker with the exception of the built in amp.

You're welcome.:)

Jet

neoen
02-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi...

I would like to buy Dynaudio BM6 speakers but I don't know if they are good for listening of classical music...Help! Is Dynaudio Audience 52se better choice.../for price?

Thx!