High-end sound in your cars? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : High-end sound in your cars?

topspeed
05-18-2004, 03:44 PM
I was reading the review of the new Aston Martin DB9 and after I cleared the drool off the pages noticed that it was equipped with a Linn soundsystem. This is the first application of Linn electronics and speakers to automobiles that I've heard. In fact, I didn't know Linn even made car audio gear. I can understand why AM would want to use Brit gear, but why not B&W as they actually make some car audio speakers? Interesting...

Lexus has Mark Levinson, Jaguar uses Alpine, BMW has Harmon Kardon (utter crap btw), and Acura just released its stunning DVD-A multi-channel Panasonic system which is the best I've heard yet for an OEM system. Cadillac, Mercedes, and Infiniti, utilize Bose.

Do you think we'll be seeing a greater proliferation of high-end nameplates in luxury cars as manufacturers seek to increase their perceived value? Macintosh and Dynaudio have been in car audio for years. Do you think that the buying public will ever figure out that Bose car audio is about as good as Bose home audio and will they still pay $$$ for the "upgrade"? Who else do you think should join the fray and what alignments would you like to see? Personally, I'd love it if Jag would align with B&W. I think a BMW/B&W union would just be too confusing ;)

Geoffcin
05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
I was reading the review of the new Aston Martin DB9 and after I cleared the drool off the pages noticed that it was equipped with a Linn soundsystem. This is the first application of Linn electronics and speakers to automobiles that I've heard. In fact, I didn't know Linn even made car audio gear. I can understand why AM would want to use Brit gear, but why not B&W as they actually make some car audio speakers? Interesting...

Lexus has Mark Levinson, Jaguar uses Alpine, BMW has Harmon Kardon (utter crap btw), and Acura just released its stunning DVD-A multi-channel Panasonic system which is the best I've heard yet for an OEM system. Cadillac, Mercedes, and Infiniti, utilize Bose.

Do you think we'll be seeing a greater proliferation of high-end nameplates in luxury cars as manufacturers seek to increase their perceived value? Macintosh and Dynaudio have been in car audio for years. Do you think that the buying public will ever figure out that Bose car audio is about as good as Bose home audio and will they still pay $$$ for the "upgrade"? Who else do you think should join the fray and what alignments would you like to see? Personally, I'd love it if Jag would align with B&W. I think a BMW/B&W union would just be too confusing ;)

It's even more confusing when you consider that Jaguar is owned by Ford, Mini's are made by BMW, and BMW is making engines for Rolls Royce. The one affinity that would make sence to me is Infinity speakers in Infinty cars.

topspeed
05-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Actually, BMW owns Rolls outright. Hell, the only real british brand that is still owned by blue bloods is TVR. Sure there are cottage builders such as AC, Caterham, and Noble, but they don't really count.

How 'bout this:

Infiniti cars w/ Infinity speaks
BMW w/ B&W
Acura w/ Acurus
Lexus w/ Lexicon
Mercedes Benz w/ MBL or MB Quart
Rolls Royce w/ Jeff Rowland (I'm stretching, I know)
could work, you never know!

05-19-2004, 04:36 PM
BMW w/ B&W

Funny you mention this because almost every person I have talked to about B&W responds with a shock: "What? BMW makes speakers?"....nonono not BMW...B AND W

skeptic
05-19-2004, 06:47 PM
The JBL sound system in my Lincoln is pure trash. It has a boomy unnatural bass, weak highs, the radio is not particularly sensitive and fades in and out in urban areas, and the Sony cd player in the trunk jams every time I hit a bump. You have to stop the car and get out to remove the disc that was in play in order to get it to work again. The dealer said that this was normal. Frankly I couldn't care less. I don't know to this day why anyone would spend a lot of money on a car sound system. I bought the car used for entirely different reasons. It just happened to have this crap factory installed.

Mr Peabody
05-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Being in car audio in the 80's when marriages like Ford/JBL, Chrysler/Infinity and GM/Bose first begun I never really understood the car companies reasoning behind this. Of course, this was the days when car audio was really peaking but don't they sell the car nonetheless with or without a good stereo? Would the average Joe pick Chevy over Chrysler because they like the sound system better? I'd think a whole host of driving features would come way ahead of sound quality when picking a auto. Auto makers must be the epitomy of greed. Look at GM who made these huge radios in an attempt to slow down after market audio sales. Why else would they put such a big ass radio in the dash? Isn't the idea really to fit more room in the car? All this really done was start a new industry for those who manufacture install kits to make aftermarket fit whatever crazed configuration the auto companies came out with. GM even went to a 2 piece radio in certain year models of trucks. What about those who put controls in the steering wheel? If you go aftermarket you loose those. I don't know of any interface that would let you still use those controls. At least that was a useful feature, except when my wife drives. They should offer a lock out option.

I have to say though I never thought I would see names like Linn or Mark Levinson mixed up in the mess. But I bet it is a real money maker selling their name like that. Who knows who really builds the stuff. McIntosh is now owned by Clarion, Levinson is owned by Madrigal, who owns HK, JBL, Infinity and a mariad of other brands. I heard it was actually GM/Delco who built Rockford's head units, at least the first ones that hit the market, I don't know if they still do. None of these will have credibility until they sound in a car the same way they made their reputation sounding.

I have to admit the Infinity system in our Town&Country sounds pretty good. It don't sound like my multi amp and speaker system in my Malibu, but I didn't have to spend additional hundreds of dollars either. I wouldn't trust anyone to try to upgrade this system in the T&C. It is integrated into the vehicle like an alien attack. It has several speakers, they have to be amped somehow, it's tied into the DVD system, it has controls on the steering wheel, the large display is not only for every audio function but also displays navigation when in use. One single slot is for one cd or the navigation DVD and a slot down lower feeds DVD's or CD's into a 6 disc changer. I hate to admit it but I do like the system. No other minivan we looked at had audio or video systems that even came close. Chrysler was on their game this year in this department. Honda's sound sucked and you could only get navigation, or, DVD. The Chevy we looked at only had video sound from front speakers, which may not matter since it came with headphones for kids. Our Chrysler also has wireless headphones for the passangers if the driver wants to listen to music. Ford was so far behind their van didn't even offer any video. Toyota who originally got me enthused about navigation, dropped it this year and made a funky place for the foot pedals, so they were out. I didn't listen to their system because I wasn't interested in the vehicle. It was also more than just the great A/V system that tipped the scales in Chrysler's favor.

topspeed
05-21-2004, 07:10 AM
Skeptic:
I've heard that JBL system in the Mark and you're right; it's crap. It almost approaches the level of suckiness as the HK in my car. With that V8, you shouldn't be listening to the radio anyway, you should be listening to the engine. One of my favorite descriptors of all time was regarding the engine note of your very car whereas they likened it to "the sound of ripping silk." How cool is that?

Mr. P.:

The steering wheel mounted controls were a brilliant move by the manufacturers to sell their upgraded stereos and increase profit. I had the Infinity Gold system in my Jeep and still feel the controls behind the spokes of the steering wheel are the most intuitive and ergonomically correct. Plus, that system was and still is one of the best I've heard for an OEM. In contrast, the Bose system in my wife's car is so bad I actually took it back to the dealer to have them check it out and e-mailed Bose about the problems (no reply, natch). Unfortunately, it's within spec so apparently it was designed to sound this sh!tty. Figures...

DVD/Nav system are all the rage now and they ain't cheap. This is the new profit center for manufacturers. Nav systems are hit and miss depending on the software. I really wanted a Nav system but the one that came with my car was so horrible (it only showed major streets and highways) that even the dealer told me not to get it! Video systems are selling like hotcakes and have enormous margins. This is the next area for brand synergy. Think about getting your new Lexus LX470 with a Sony Wega 9" screen coupled to a Sony ES DVD player. This is a niche just begging to be exploited. They did it with audio so video is the next logical step.

BTW, Madrigal Labs was folded with Proceed. Harmon Int'l set-up Harmon Premier Group (or something like that) to manage ML, Lexicon, and Revel.

skeptic
05-21-2004, 08:01 AM
My version of the 4.6 Liter V8 in the 96 Mark VIII LSC is rated to deliver 290 hp. It hauls that four thousand pounds of steel around like a baby carriage. I swear it does 0-60 in about 6 seconds on dry level pavement. The trick is not to floor it. It handles amazingly well for a car that heavy and I really enjoy driving it. It's cost a lot to keep it on the road. Most of those repair costs were paid for by Lincoln under warranty. As I said, I don't give a damn about the sound system. BTY, according to my Lincoln mechanic friend who was also an audiophile, none of it was built by JBL anyway. The speakers are Kicker and the electronics are Shinn? The cd player is definitely Sony.

Unfortuantely, as far as I am concerned, Lincoln doesn't make a car that performs as well as that one any more. I personally wouldn't touch an LS. Looks like my next car might be the first non American car I will ever own, a 2004 Accura TL. And frankly I don't care what sound system comes in that one either.

topspeed
05-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Unfortuantely, as far as I am concerned, Lincoln doesn't make a car that performs as well as that one any more. I personally wouldn't touch an LS. Looks like my next car might be the first non American car I will ever own, a 2004 Accura TL. And frankly I don't care what sound system comes in that one either.

The TL is a great ride. My buddy has one and it's beautifully built inside and out. Clearly one of the best looking cars on the road, imo. The tech involved with that car is insane. From Bluetooth that sincs both your phone and pda automatically to a nav system that can tell whether or not the sun is shining through the front window and will adjust the climate control system to compensate. No joke. Very quick too although I'd avoid the 6 speed manual because of torque steer.

If you want to stay with the home boys, why not a Chrysler 300C or Caddy CTS-V? You'd still get an American V8, either Hemi or no less than a Vette motor, to go along with distinctive style and excellent handling. Build quality is an unknown because they are new this year but I'm optomistic. In auto rags, both are doing very well in comparisons to their foreign competition.

Just a thought.

skeptic
05-21-2004, 09:06 AM
I wanted the 95 LSC. Rated horsepower was 345. Couldn't get one anywhere. I'll keep this one on the road as long as I can. It's got 108,000 on it. In other words, it's just getting broken in.

kexodusc
05-21-2004, 09:34 AM
I use to work for USA marketing for Honda (I've since been moved to finance). The large audio systems have nothing to do with auto manufacturers worried about aftermarket audio sales. Truth is almost 100% of car buyers prefer larger buttons, easier controls etc, than better sounding, but terribly small units.
Most CD players/Radios also include a clock display on them, the larger, the better.

I do remember the Vipers having Alpine systems in them at one point...

As for quality concerns on the USA vs. foreign cars...don't kid yourself. You are still living in the early 1980's if you honestly believe Honda and Toyota make significantly higher quality vehicles than their US counterparts. Truth is, US vehicles have always managed to retain lowest cost-of-ownership status. These days, almost all the parts in Honda's can be found in GM's, Chrysler's, Toyota's etc...all made by Dana, Magna, Dynastar,etc...
Very little "manufacturing" being done anymore. Funny thing is that Honda owners appear to be far more tolerant of problems occuring in their vehicles...nobody complains when there's a 90% failure rate in cam sensors in Accords and Civics. Go figure.
Oh, uh...buy Honda!!!. :)

And yeah, that Chrysler 300C with the Hemi looks pretty sweet. Wonder if HR would catch me if I expensed that as my vehicle?