Home Theater - Connector type [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater - Connector type

Bala
05-18-2004, 11:25 AM
I'm running wiring for my HT system. What kind of connections are required for the speakers. I'm going with component type connections for my video. Do speakers (haven't decided on which brand yet) require a specific type of connectors/connection? I bought the wall plates from lowes that have 5 f-type connectors (presumably for 5.1). I ran 14 awg wire behind the walls. I haven't connected them yet. Should I just get regular connectors where you press the button and the connection hole opens up, you insert the wire into it and then when you let go it grips it? What about the end where it connects to the reveiver? I'll be using the yamaha receiver 2400.

Thanks,

markw
05-18-2004, 02:18 PM
You would be better off if your speaker wall plates had the basic 5 way binding posts as opposed to those "push and insert" types.

topspeed
05-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Definitely get plates that have either a 5 way binding post or at the very least accept banana plugs. The spring clips that you are referring to are junk and you'll have a heck of a time sticking 14 gauge in there. Niles plates much easier, accept banana's, spades, or bare wire and make for a very clean install. Personally, I like banana plugs. Just remember to label what goes where!

Hope this helps.

markw
05-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Just remember to label what goes where!

Aw, gee! Where's the challenge in that? :)

Bala
05-19-2004, 06:10 AM
What about the connectors for speakers on the yamaha 2400? Are they banana or binding posts?

Thanks,

markw
05-19-2004, 06:23 AM
What about the connectors for speakers on the yamaha 2400? Are they banana or binding posts?

Thanks,
They are both, just like the connectors on the wall plate thatspeedy illustrated. They are 5 way binding posts which accept bananas, spades, bare wires and probably pin jacks as well. The problem with anything EXCEPT bananas is that connecting them back there will be one major hassle.

topspeed
05-20-2004, 09:29 AM
They are both, just like the connectors on the wall plate thatspeedy illustrated. They are 5 way binding posts which accept bananas, spades, bare wires and probably pin jacks as well. The problem with anything EXCEPT bananas is that connecting them back there will be one major hassle.

With bare wire, spades, or pins, you'll need to unscrew the binding post and then cinch it down. This is not as easy as it sounds because most of the doughnuts that design the back panels of these things have never heard the term "ergonomics", they are trying to cram too many freakin' connections onto the back panel, or they simply have hands the size of 3 year olds. With banana plugs, you simply push them in or pull them out. Simple.

Here's what I did:
1) Installed Niles multi-input plate (as illustrated) on the back of my in-wall equipment rack. You must have enough inputs for each of your speakers; left front, center, right front, left surround, right surround. Add more if you are 6,7, or 9 channel. Installed a separate plate for the sub.
2) Install 2 jack Niles at each speaker location. Use a 4 jack if you are planning to bi-wire/bi-amp. Wire with 12 gauge to each location. If your rears are really far away, you might want to go with bigger gauge. Check the old forums for a chart that defines cable length with signal degradation. If you're into esoteric wire, this can get expensive so be forewarned.
3) Run short wires capped with banana's from the rear of the Yammie to the multi-plate and then do the same from the other plates to the speakers. Your Yammie is labeled as to what go where so label your multi-plate the same way.

Done. Clean, easy, and if you ever need to tweak or change something out, all you have to do is pull the plug(s). This may not be the best way, but it worked for me.

Hope this clarifies things.