Surround Speakers position [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Surround Speakers position

pjsatif
05-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi ppl.

I need some advice to positioning my 2 surround speakers.
Itīs better put them 2 meters behind the listening position or in the sides very very very! close of the listening position.
Thatīs the options because the geometry of the room.
Sorry about my english.

Thanks in advance.

Wireworm5
05-17-2004, 03:24 PM
In my opinion you want to put them behind you as far as possible. But aim them straight ahead not at the listening position. This is because all you want is the reflected sound. You don't want the direct sound because this will arrive at your ears before the direct sound from your fronts. Unless however you have a receiver like the Sony's that allow you to adjust the delay time for speaker distances,then you can try facing them towards your listening position.

This Guy
05-17-2004, 05:18 PM
just about all A/v receievers allows you to adjust the delay of the surround. If they are direct radiating, put them about 2 feet higher than your ears, and a little bit behind you. Dipole/Bipole, same height but right at your sides. 2 meters behind you sounds great.

-Joey

bikehikefish
05-18-2004, 05:40 AM
Read this:

http://www.dolby.com/Consumer/HomeEntertainment/Setup/

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-18-2004, 12:48 PM
In my opinion you want to put them behind you as far as possible. But aim them straight ahead not at the listening position. This is because all you want is the reflected sound. You don't want the direct sound because this will arrive at your ears before the direct sound from your fronts. Unless however you have a receiver like the Sony's that allow you to adjust the delay time for speaker distances,then you can try facing them towards your listening position.

It is not really a good idea to place surround speakers behind you. The reflections that we perceive as adding "spaciousness" comes from the sides of the head, not from the rear of the head. One of the drawbacks of placing surround speakers behind you is the sounds reflect off the pinna thereby reducing our sense of direction, changes the frequency response of the source, and increases head related transfer distortions.

It doesn't matter if your speakers are direct radiators, or bi/dipoles. Surround speakers should be placed to the sides of the listening area(dipoles directly to the sides within the null of the speaker) above the head about 2-3ft, and behind the listening position about 3ft.

To see what optimal placement should be, google ITU-775B and you will get the optimal speaker setup for the home and recording studio.

pjsatif
05-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Thanks a lot ppl,

I will put them 2 meters behind, and see what i get.
Sir Terrence the Terrible, many thank to you to, i know the best position is on the sides, but because the geometry of my room, if i put the speakers on the sides, i need to put them really, really close to the listening position (about 10 to 20Cm), in that conditions, i think will get a surround sound to much loud...
The inicial question is, Itīs better put them 2 meters behind the listening position or in the sides 10Cm close of the listening position?

Thank, one more time ppl.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks a lot ppl,

I will put them 2 meters behind, and see what i get.
Sir Terrence the Terrible, many thank to you to, i know the best position is on the sides, but because the geometry of my room, if i put the speakers on the sides, i need to put them really, really close to the listening position (about 10 to 20Cm), in that conditions, i think will get a surround sound to much loud...
The inicial question is, Itīs better put them 2 meters behind the listening position or in the sides 10Cm close of the listening position?

Thank, one more time ppl.

You have a necessary compromise here. In this case, behind is the only option. My best suggestion would be to place them behind the listening position, but space them as wide apart as you can. The closer you can get them to the sides, the better off sonically you are.

pjsatif
05-22-2004, 01:47 AM
Hi ppl,

Sorry about the late, but i have lotīs of work to do last week.
About my surrounf speakers postiting, i try to put it 2 meters behind my, but here is the sound?
Maybe because i have a JBL northridge E60 as main speakers (my surround speakers are Yamaha NS-M103), i cant hear anythink, or almoust anythink behind my.
Now i put them about 20Cm on the sides and behind the listening position, and about 1,5m height...voilá, i think i find the best possible position for movie theater.
Now i cleary have surround effect and i continue to have a clear sound from main speakers.

Many thank to everyone, and one more time sorry about my english, i will try to improve that.

This Guy
05-22-2004, 07:24 AM
go to radioshack and buy an analog spl meter. Than buy a test disc, or use the test tones in your receiever so that all the speakers are the same volume at your listening position. Just set your sub 3-6 dB higher than the rest of your speakers. Do a search on calibrating your HT on this site and you'll see how important it is.

-Joey