Attention Porcupine Tree fans. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Attention Porcupine Tree fans.

Finch Platte
11-28-2003, 09:04 PM
I've got a copy of the 2-disc Signify release. It's a little different from the single-disc release, in that the second disc consists of the songs below. Interesting stuff for PT fans, these songs are recorded mostly w/ drum machines, but it's still neat to hear the songs before they are fully fleshed out.

Below is the track listing for disc 2 (approx 46 min.)

1. Wake as Gun I 3:29
Demo Version
2. Hallagallo 3:37
Demo Version
3. Signify 3:27
Demo Version
4. Waiting 6:56
Demo Version
5. Smiling Not Smiling 3:49
Demo Version
6. Wake as Gun II 2:06
Demo Version
7. Neural Rust 5:53
Demo Version
8. Dark Origins 6:54
Demo Version
9. Sever Tomorrow 6:04
Demo Version
10. Nine Cates 4:08

I'll trade for copies of any of these discs below (let me know if you want disc 1 & 2 or just disc 2):

Up The Down Stair
On The Sunday Of Life
Metanoia
Stars Die

fp

Slosh
11-29-2003, 05:32 AM
To me they sound like a somewhat heavier Pink Floyd clone except without the inventiveness, passion, drama, and just plain quirkiness that made Pink Floyd something special.

I don't have any problem with a band sounding like others so long as they have their own sound as well. Where's their signature?

Blech! Dinosaur rock :p

Finch Platte
11-29-2003, 05:46 AM
...is the drummer. Pink Floyd's drummer has all the technique of a turd on a rock. I know, drums ain't everything, but, as a drummer myself, I enjoy listening to Chris Maitland and Gavin Harrison's chops. And they don't overplay- Wilson keeps 'em reined in, to good effect.

I enjoy PF as well, but they're a little tired. PT is relatively new to me, and they have an extensive back catalog, which is fun to mine.

fp

Grblgrbl
12-05-2003, 08:26 AM
To me they sound like a somewhat heavier Pink Floyd clone except without the inventiveness, passion, drama, and just plain quirkiness that made Pink Floyd something special.

I don't have any problem with a band sounding like others so long as they have their own sound as well. Where's their signature?

Blech! Dinosaur rock :p

I love PT and actually think that the likeness to PFis passing at most (ok, a little more than passing on Sky Moves Sideways). This is a band that incorporates a lot of influences (psychedelia, techno, Beatlesque pop, space rock, metal) and to me manages to do it without being derivative. Most importantly, Wilson writes great songs that stand on their own merit apart from the influences that helped shape them. This is not another band like Spock's Beard and Flower Kings who slavishly copy the prog bands of the 70's and couldn't write a decent song to save their lives. PT has great songs with great melodies.

Dusty Chalk
12-05-2003, 12:10 PM
Well said, Grblgrbl.

Troy
12-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Yeah, what Grblgrbl said.

And Finchy, e-mail me to trade some of this stuff. I'd like to hear that second disc.