Turntable on top of subwoofer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Turntable on top of subwoofer?

N. Abstentia
05-17-2004, 08:35 AM
The only place I have to put a turntable right now is sitting it right on top of my subwoofer, would there be any problems with this as far as magnetic fields or anything?

I'm not worried about vibrations because:
A) The sub will never be on while the turntable is spinning, and
B) It's a Paradigm Servo 15 so the cabinet does not vibrate at all.

What I'm worried about is magnetic fields and stuff like that..should I be concerned? Again, it's a Servo 15 so it's sheilded like a MF'er, but I know it's impossible to completely shield a sub 100%.

Toady
05-17-2004, 09:37 AM
B) It's a Paradigm Servo 15 so the cabinet does not vibrate at all.

*blink... blink...*

you should stick an accelerometer on there... just to check ;) .

skeptic
05-17-2004, 10:26 AM
You won't know until you try it. Magnetic fields from the magnet in the subwoofer which are ALWAYS present can interfere with the magnets in the cartridge, however, the shielding may be sufficiently effective. Also if the subwoofer is turned on but not in use, there can also be fields created by the power supply transformer. Since the subwoofer will not be on when you are using your turntable, vibrations will not be a problem.

N. Abstentia
05-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Yeah, it's working fine. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a 'hidden' danger anywhere there. I did turn on the surround while playing a record just to see what would happen and the sub went nuts. It just produced a loud as heck sine wave sound (60hz, I'd imagine) and it would get louder and louder until the whole house shook and of course the needle was jumping by then. Sounded neat, though. Sounded like one of those car audio guys drove by the house :)

joel2762
05-17-2004, 03:40 PM
hah sounds cool..Well at least now you know.