Proper use of DSP modes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Proper use of DSP modes

swgiust
05-17-2004, 08:02 AM
I understand the use of DSP modes in non Dolby digital applications, like
tv and vcr. Does anyone use or recommend the use of DSP's when playing
a Dolby digital source, such as dvd? Currently when I play a dvd, I just
use Dolby Digital surround with no processing. Any sugestions?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-17-2004, 08:23 AM

I do NOT recommend incorporating any Dolby Digital encoded sources with DSP modes. Most of these DSP's have tremendous amouts of reverb and echo which tends to muddy soundtrack clarity. Not to mention some of these modes actually introduce dialog to the surround speakers.

DSP modes can be used with two channel sources as a way of enhancing(to some) the soundfield. They are best used in this way.

Mania
05-17-2004, 11:14 AM

To each his own. I only use to DSP modes on my SONY 333ES receiver.

For TV and movies (including DVDs) I use Cinema B, which they call something like "cary grant theater" I think its designed to enhance dialogue. To me, it sounds considerably better than normal surround, but that may have to do with making up for deficiencies in my room accoustics or speaker placement, or my own personal preference against loud soundtracks?

Infrequently, I'll want to watch a movie without disturbing my wife, and will use night theater, which I believe is designed to reduce the dynamic range of the soundtrack. This doesn't make it sound better, it just makes the loud action scenes more manageable, and the dialogue slightly louder. More like TV. Even still, I find myself constantly adjusting the volume between conversations and action.

I do not use any other DSPs at all, and for the most part, would be willing to give them up entirely for better performance in other areas if it were an option. What I mean is, I don't think I would pay money for them, or even factor them into a decision in purcahsing a receiver. However, I imagine night mode would be VERY advantageous to those with smaller children.

joel2762
05-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Why? You have a Dolby Digital/DTS mixed track that's accurate then ruin it by letting a DSP just do some weird echo which doesn't include the original surround mix? I use Pro-Logic for music and For stuff with DD/DTS I just leave that on. NO DSP!